wtb your pc for a file/media server usage

Morrie20

Limp Gawd
My house needs to have a central repository for photos, music, and other things. I can start with anything but would prefer something with.a small form factor. Id also like something with smart power features like wake on lan etc.

For shipping purposes I live in western MA zip 01028. I'm open to what is available but here are my prefs:

No cpu pref other than I want to be able to strem netflix to it eventually asit will probably run boxee
Id prefer 1.5 to 2 gigs ram
I'm not a gamer so no need for a killer vid card
Tv card is a bonus for dvr but not a must have
No need for dvd player or even an optical drive at this point
I want the hard drive to be sata vs pata. If you have somethong smaller I can just buy solmething new

It doesn't have to have an os as I am covered here

My heat/beer feedback is under Morrie20

Offer away

I have a custom HTPC I built for my parents - but then they ended up just using it as a regular desktop. So might as well put it out there.

AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz (runs at >30C; maxes out on OCCT at 32C)
Thermaltake Low-Profile Copper Heatsink
Foxconn A7DA-S 3.0 AM3 Motherboard
- Onboard HD 3300 w/ onboard 128MB DDR3 1333 Sideport memory (up to 768MB)
- Perfect for 1080P movies & Blu-Rays
- Will play most games at lower to mid-range settings (Left 4 Dead holds up on there)
2 x 1GB DDR3 1333 Crucial Crucial Ballistix CL7

Housed in an Apevia X-Master ATX Media Center Case with its stock 500W PSU.

I have several hard drives you could use - all would be cleanly wiped. The one that's in there right now is a 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 HDD. I have a 750GB Seagate 7200.11 & a Western Digital Caviar 7200rpm drive I could part with. There is currently an IDE DVD Burner in there.

I would part with the system for $350 + shipping (which would be approximately $25 for insured USPS Parcel Post; $45 insured USPS Priority

- Shane

Oh, and the Windows Media Center has Netflix built-in.. thought that was kind of neat.

There are up to 5 spots where you can store standard 3.5" hard drives if you don't need 120mm case fans. I actually ended up taking them out, since the GPU, IGP, and NB ran so cool.

Last edited:
Very nice system. I'm going to hold off a little longer to see what else may be offered. Thanks

I have a SFF computer that my son has been using, but we are getting him an iMac in the next few days so this will be up for sale as well.

The case is a APEVIA X-QPACK-BK/420 Black Aluminum 1.0 w/ ABS plastic front panel MicroATX Desktop Computer Case ATX 420W power supply Power Supply ( The power supply has been upgraded, but I cant recall what the wattage is. I think its a 650 or something along those lines)
This is the case on newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144161

It has an Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80557E6400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115004

I believe it has this video card ATI All-In-Wonder X800 XT 100-714200 Radeon X800XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102492

I dont know if you know what an All in Wonder card is, but its a full TV card that will do DVR, FM radio all kinds of great features and it has a remote as well. Just click the link it will show what the card is capable of doing.

It has 2 GB of Corsair ram and a 500 GB 7200 RPM HD and a DL dvd burner with lightscribe.

Let me know if you are interested.

Last edited:
I have a Dell Zino HD i bought a few months back. I will have to pull the specs when I get home for it.

I know it has HDMI out and did 1080p without problem.

1TB hard drive inside it, 4gb ram.

will post more details later.

I'd have to double check but I believe I have a Pentium D 2.8 with a micro atx intel board and 1GB of ram. If you wanted to part out the rest.

I'd sell it for $100

Good trader bump :) Hope all is well with you.

About how much total are you looking to spend?

I have a HTPC case with a couple of possible options, and it seems like you may be using it as a HTPC down the road, since you mention netflix and boxee.

This case:

http://www.sundialmicro.com/silverstone_desktop_htpc_case_sstlc10s_1699_309.html

SilverStone Lascala LC10S (SST-LC10-S) - Silver HTPC (Home Theater PC) / Desktop Case (Accept STANDARD size ATX motherboard)

Currently housing the following:

Single Core 2.0Ghz AM2 CPU and 2GB of DDR2, but the board can run up to a 6 CORE AM3 CPU and 8GB of DDR2. Board has VGA, DVI, and HDMI out.

200GB IDE hard drive and IDE DVD Drive

OCZ Power supply.

Next week I'll have a Pentium D 925, dual core 64Bit CPU and a board I can toss in as well.

If the case interests you, we can work on the innards based on how much you want to spend and my shipping, but this is all spare stuff and I am ready to move it pretty cheap.

Let me know.

I have a Zotac ITX board with onboard everything, E7300 CPU and 2 or 4GB DDR2 if you'd be interested in that. No case or PSU though. LMK

Shuttle SK43G XPC
Athlon XP 3000+ (2.1GHz, 400FSB)
512MB PC3200 RAM
One external 5.25"
One external 3.5" (cover included to use as internal)
One internal 3.5"

Open AGP and PCI slot.

I don't have a hard drive that would be worth its weight in shipping to include. Could possibly toss 2GB of PC2100 into it.

$80 shipped w/ 512MB RAM. $90 w/ 2GB PC2100.

I have a custom HTPC I built for my parents - but then they ended up just using it as a regular desktop. So might as well put it out there.

AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz (runs at >30C; maxes out on OCCT at 32C)
Thermaltake Low-Profile Copper Heatsink
Foxconn A7DA-S 3.0 AM3 Motherboard
- Onboard HD 3300 w/ onboard 128MB DDR3 1333 Sideport memory (up to 768MB)
- Perfect for 1080P movies & Blu-Rays
- Will play most games at lower to mid-range settings (Left 4 Dead holds up on there)
2 x 1GB DDR3 1333 Crucial Crucial Ballistix CL7

Housed in an Apevia X-Master ATX Media Center Case with its stock 500W PSU.

I have several hard drives you could use - all would be cleanly wiped. The one that's in there right now is a 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 HDD. I have a 750GB Seagate 7200.11 & a Western Digital Caviar 7200rpm drive I could part with. There is currently an IDE DVD Burner in there.

I would part with the system for $350 + shipping (which would be approximately $25 for insured USPS Parcel Post; $45 insured USPS Priority

- Shane

Oh, and the Windows Media Center has Netflix built-in.. thought that was kind of neat.

There are up to 5 spots where you can store standard 3.5" hard drives if you don't need 120mm case fans. I actually ended up taking them out, since the GPU, IGP, and NB ran so cool.
You have balls using that Apevia PSU.

You have balls using that Apevia PSU.
Nothing really wrong with the PSU for what it's being used for - other than it not being power efficient. There are no voltage spikes or dips & it runs cool and quiet. I wouldn't use it on anything other than a low-power HTPC - but for a bundled PSU, it's not the worst thing I've seen.

Limp Gawd

Last Activity: 10-07-2010 12:32 AM

Back