WTB/TF: 6TB Minimum, Higher is Better, Internal HDs. Let Me Know What You Gots.

topcat989

Extremely [H]
OK, building out a new unRAID server. I need a minimum of 3 drives, maximum of 5.

PM your offers (or steering me to online deals, all are appreciated). Figure shipping to 79416.

6TB minimum, but would love higher such as 8-10TB. Would like even higher but budget probably can't take what you'd want for higher.....but you can try. The better the deal the more I'm willing to pad the budget. Worse I can do is say "Sorry, no"

I Prefer: (but not demand, depending on deal)

CMR over SMR

decent warranty left on drives

Higher Tier lines such as NAS or enterprise

A packaged deal from a reputable trader (like someone who is upgrading their NAS) *note* HDs do not have to be all same size or model. That's the beauty of unRAID, can use different sized HDs.

PayPal G&S payment, but willing to F&F payment if you gain my confidence via either already established trader or other means (1st born male child, etc)

If you're local to 79416, happy to meet up and save shipping.

I Demand: (as in, not flexible on this point)

You pack the drives decently. This has been my one pet peeve in trading, receiving something fragile electronic from a trader or even a business and it was packed poorly. :banghead: If you pack poorly this happens:
PoorlyGIF.gif

What this means:

Drives in anti-static bags.

You use medium or large bubble wrap, where the bubbles are at least the diameter of a dime. You cover all 6 sides of the HDs in said bubble wrap to a MINIMUM of 1" depth. There into a box and packed until there is NO movement when shook. And stays no movement. That means no air bag packs (notoriously unreliable, deflate all the time) or anything that compresses without bouncing all the way back (like newspaper, it starts out like it holds well, but by the time it gets to me it's compressed enough that the item rattles in the box like a Maraca)

If you're sending only one drive I'm OK with it fitting into a small box like above link so long as it's covered all 6 sides 1" or more in bubble wrap.

If you have some old school purpose made soft foam shipping inserts like retailers used to do, go for it (as long as they're the right kind, use good judgement)

Sorry to be preachy, packing well is something I kinda feel I shouldn't have to say anything, it should be just understood. But after some poor experiences (even with some retailers :whistle: ) I feel I needed to be clear on it. Ask anyone I've traded with (or read my Heatware), they'll tell you I pack decent even for an sturdy, inanimate item like a waterblock. But when it comes to electronics they'll all tell you I packed the item for the box to take real abuse and still have the item come out shiny on their end.

Thanks for suffering my Teal Deer posting style. Let the games begin.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Do they need to be all the same model? I am currently farming my friends Chia with five 8TB drives, 2x WD Elements or Easystores, 1x WD Black , and 2x Seagates. All were shucked from externals.
If various models are fine, I'll ask him if he wants to sell them.
Actually, 1 of the Seagates isn't shucked, it's still in the enclosure.

Do they need to be all the same model?

Nope. Beauty of unRAID is I can populate the server with different sized drives, much less model numbers. Only caveat is Parity drive must be same size or larger than largest drive in array. For that drive I prefer to use a high performance 7200rpm drive, just need 1. For the others 5400rpm is fine, need between 2 to 4 of those, depending on capacity and deal for them.

PM inc regarding 12TB WD Reds.

Back at ya!

Back