WTB: Socket 1150 Z97 Mobos, CPUs, etc - building PCs for Camp Fire survivors

hazmatic

[H]ard|Gawd
So I live in Chico California and for those unaware the town of Paradise has been completely wiped out by the Camp Fire. Several of my coworkers (and my in-laws) have lost everything they own. What I would like to do is gather some older but still decent hardware so I can put together some some budget gamer builds for my gamer coworkers so they at least have a system to get back up on their feet. My goal is to build 10-20, I have enough parts out of my own current collection for at least 4-7 systems.
The local news did a thing on me
https://www.actionnewsnow.com/conte...omputers-Lost-during-Camp-Fire-503689431.html

Ideal parts: (**FOR DONATION PCs**)
- Socket 1150 Motherboards with z97 chipset and m.2 support (partial to Asus, m.2 support because I have a supply of 970 Evo 250GB drives from a liquidation lot I purchased)
- AMD 970 Chipset Motherboards with m.2 support
- i5 or i7 CPUs of the Socket 1150 Variety - Preferably 5th Gen
- FX-83XX CPUs (like the 8350) cause they good and cheap performance
- 4GB/8GB sticks of DDR3 1600mhz or higher (prefer 8GB to give people expansion option) Good on ram for now
- GTX 970/RX 570 graphics cards (or better, but I am on a limited budget)

Things I'm looking for PERSONALLY: (**NOT FOR DONATION PCs**)
- 1070Ti or a 1080 Blower card, for an ITX build I'm working on

My prayers go out to anyone else in this community that's been impacted by the fires up here and in Southern California.

Edit: 12/12 Update: Deleted previous updates, cause it was becoming too much to read.
Thank you to Jeffredo (who I met in person!) for his generous contribution of a Z97 board, processor, and motherboard. Was great meeting you!

Edit 12/26 Update: NZXT is finally shipping cases and coolers, which is good because I just ran out of cases and have 5 systems waiting for a case! Christmas was productive, attached a photo of one of the PCs I built that I ended up replacing the old acrylic window (it was a free donation and was scratched pretty bad) with a custom cut smokey acrylic window...and damn does it look good.... if anyone is interested, I can post an imgur gallery of all my builds I've done for #PCsforParadise initiative. Also, people can check out my Twitter feed, @semperfio6, I post them there as well.

Attachments

• DvYTmWuV4AAM_zA.jpg
    DvYTmWuV4AAM_zA.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Bump, got about 6 systems worth of parts on the way, needing video cards a bit more than other parts. Not sure why I put 960s, things like a 750 would probably be more than adequate

Edit: forgot to mention that boards with an m.2 slot capable of taking nvme are priority as I have a bunch of 250gb nvme drives I can put in them on hand

Last edited:
i think I have a few CPU's (i5 2400 level or so) , i'll go digging!

That would be awesome, I found out when I went into work today that 8 people alone in my department lost their homes, still not sure how many overall in the company but I'm going to try and take care of all that I can with the limited funding I have at the moment.

Also, bump, cause still accepting any offers or donations people might have.

If you're still looking I have quite a few things for this list. PM me with what you are still looking for and I'll let you know if I have matches for them. Thanks! :)

Reviving this thread, apologies if anyone messaged if haven’t gotten back to you! Managed to arrange a donation of 20 NZXT cases and 20 AIO coolers as well as build 8 complete systems with monitors... so that along with helping my in-laws find housing has been hectic.

My budget is pretty tight currently, but I’d really like to get as many as I can done in time for Christmas, so please let me know if you can help. I post all my completed builds on Twitter currently, @semperfio6 if you’d like to see my progress.

I was affected by the Woolsey fire down here in SoCal, so I know the feeling and send my condolences. Check your PM's and see what I can get ya.

how goes the project? if the requirements weren't so new i'd maybe be able to pitch in a little bit but, all of my stuff is older and fit for HTPC and indie gaming duty (775 1366).

Bump, shoutout to Jeffredo (who I'm meeting up with in person tomorrow! my first real life meetup with a [H] user!) for his donation and to no_control as well

Back