WTB - Quiet Socket 771 HSF

brycejones

Supreme [H]ardness
Title says it all, I know there aren't a ton of options, but hopefully someone has something. :) Otherwise I'm rig something up. CPUs are L series so the TDP is only 50w each. Water cooling really isn't an option since this is going to be in my Norco storage server.

I'm looking to hopefully get something cheap (or less than new at least) for such an old platform. New is way overpriced. The case is a 4U server case.

Also looking for 4-8GB of DDR2-667 FBDIMMS. The board is an Intel 5000PSL. Memory purchased

I need to finally get my home server back online and get some more D going at the same time. :)

As for limitations, total budget is in the $75 range for coolers and memory. I can go a bit higher depending on whats out there.

Last edited:
there is quite a few options if you hit up places like newegg, NCIX, tigerdirect, frozencpu, heatsink factory etc.

I am not sure your space or $ limitations, may want to post that up as well?

phew, memory might be mighty tricky to get, and possibly quite $, but there are plenty of new coolers in the $20+ dollar range that should work ok, have you checked wtih Hexus forums or hardware canuks forums or maybe even ebay or amazon, there might be a few options there. I know ALOT of folks on the mentioned sites have tons of old systems they might be able to help out if no one here can?

well quiet but great performance, I can only find so many heatsinks that will work with socket 771, the better ones are Noctua from the box, there may be other options by getting a special crossbow mount for coolers made by xigmatech, cooelrmaster, thermalright etc, example

http://www.acousticpc.com/thermalright_xeon_bracket.html
http://lowerspendings.com/Noctua-Xeon-Mounting-Kit-For-Noctua-Cpu-Coolers-NH-MTXEONV2--P152089.html

something like this will allow you to use many different coolers, you might be able to get this and find a cooler that will work well for you if there is no other options. Though, noctua coolers do work very very well, but are pricey but also very quiet solid performers from what I have heard/reviewed

Back