WTB: PC Power & Cooling modular cables [SOLVED]

neural0

Limp Gawd
I recently purchased some PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mark III 750w power supplies but they did not come with the PCI-E Power cables.

Best part is, they have some proprietary connector to the power supply as you can see here (it's the 4-pin DIN ones near the main cable):

MK3S1200-B45.png

Does anyone have any of these PSUs anymore? The same cables were used on the 750w, 850w, and 1200w versions:

MK3S-H-CABLES.png

I need the PCI-E cables and/or I'm open to talking about purchasing your whole unit if the price is right.

Would be time consuming but that set of cables would be relatively easy to make if you bought a set from another power supply and just put the aircraft connectors on the PSU side.

Do you have any idea where I could get those connectors? I couldn't identify them. I'd definitely be open to making them myself.

Do you have any idea where I could get those connectors? I couldn't identify them. I'd definitely be open to making them myself.
I actually remembered them wrong but if you search for aviation connector you should be able to find what you need pretty easily and cheaply. If you want to be super specific about what you get then look on Mouser or Digikey but I'm pretty sure they'll be on Amazon as well.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This was originally an Amphenol connector, designed 40-50 years ago. In the 70s-80s, it was subsequently ripped off and cloned by the Chinese. Today they're most commonly known as the GX16-Y series, where the Y is the number of pins in the connector.

I checked my suppliers and nobody has it. Amphenol makes a modern connector of a very similar style called the C091, which has a slightly different pin arrangement that isn't compatible. I would recommend caution if you plan on pushing a ton of amps through a knockoff connector, while the pins may be huge and look robust, they could be made with substandard cheap materials. If you make up a pigtail with above Amazon connectors, you should monitor the temperature of the connector under load to be sure it isn't going to go on fire.

You may also want to make plastic plugs, or insulated dummy connectors so the power pins aren't exposed to avoid shorts.

This was originally an Amphenol connector, designed 40-50 years ago. In the 70s-80s, it was subsequently ripped off and cloned by the Chinese. Today they're most commonly known as the GX16-Y series, where the Y is the number of pins in the connector.

I checked my suppliers and nobody has it. Amphenol makes a modern connector of a very similar style called the C091, which has a slightly different pin arrangement that isn't compatible. I would recommend caution if you plan on pushing a ton of amps through a knockoff connector, while the pins may be huge and look robust, they could be made with substandard cheap materials. If you make up a pigtail with above Amazon connectors, you should monitor the temperature of the connector under load to be sure it isn't going to go on fire.

You may also want to make plastic plugs, or insulated dummy connectors so the power pins aren't exposed to avoid shorts.
Yea as I checked the connectors' load ratings on Amazon it seems like they topped out at 5A to 7A and I'm not sure how that's going to work when the peak load of the PSU is 60A+

Each connector doesn't need to handle the overall load of the power supply, just the consumption of the attached devices. Those connectors would probably be fine for everything except the GPU, depending on the one you've got. I asked at my parts place here in town, they don't carry them. Is there a way to get a cable pack from PC Power and Cooling?

My last power supply had those same connectors, I just moved to a different one for exactly this issue. Easier to get a regular Molex jr's than reliable version of those guys. Looks like even SparkFun's versions are rated at 5 amps. https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/sparkfun-electronics/PRT-11475/7918936

Yea as I checked the connectors' load ratings on Amazon it seems like they topped out at 5A to 7A and I'm not sure how that's going to work when the peak load of the PSU is 60A+

The voltage is important when calculating ratings. They're rated for 125V @ 7A is 875W. 12V at 60A is only 720W, well within the spec of the connector, if the specs can be believed. But the lower the voltage, the shorter the wire run can be since the resistance of the wire becomes a problem. I'd use no less than 16 gauge wire for the pigtail. You could probably chop the pigtail off of a dead power supply and solder it to one of these connectors, assuming you can find one with copper wire. Many PSUs use garbage aluminum or copper coated aluminum wire, which is a pain to solder.

PCP&C isn't using ultra special high amp connectors especially since that looks like an OCZ era unit and not the older beefy outlive you types and as the above poster said they should handle the load perfectly fine.

Each connector doesn't need to handle the overall load of the power supply, just the consumption of the attached devices. Those connectors would probably be fine for everything except the GPU, depending on the one you've got. I asked at my parts place here in town, they don't carry them. Is there a way to get a cable pack from PC Power and Cooling?

My last power supply had those same connectors, I just moved to a different one for exactly this issue. Easier to get a regular Molex jr's than reliable version of those guys. Looks like even SparkFun's versions are rated at 5 amps. https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/sparkfun-electronics/PRT-11475/7918936

Of course, the connections I need are the GPU ones, hence my concern over the Amp rating. I worry about all that wattage draw to the GPU through those connectors unless you guys tell me differently.

I have called and left a vm for PC Power & Cooling but it looks like they might be out of business. Their website is kicking off an error when you visit it and according to news sources they were bought by OCZ, picked up in the ashes of the that company, then acquired again, then "finally on our own after changing hands several times" but there is no update after that.

I did further research and it looks like this OCZ era unit was actually OEM produced by Super Flower and they have a few models that match the aviation connector style. I don't know if there are cables available for those models, maybe they would work.

Those don't look that diffucult to make those are aviation style connectors. The full GPU load is being spread out over more then one pin (is the GPU connector the 4 or 5 pin ones?) so it will be OK but just make absolutely sure you get the 12VDC and Ground wires in the proper position of risk destring the GPU and /or powersupply and maybe everything else.

Aight good news update:

PC Power & Cooling (now owned by FirePower but working remotely due to COVID of course) got back to me the next day and had replacement cables in stock! After not being able to get a wiring diagram for the power supply terminals, I knew this was the best bet. $45 shipped for 4 cables means both power supplies are back online!

Thanks to all for the suggestions and identification of the connectors.

Good to know they are still alive, I thought they went under with OCZ when they died. Hopefully they can get back to what they used to be like.

Aight good news update:

PC Power & Cooling (now owned by FirePower but working remotely due to COVID of course) got back to me the next day and had replacement cables in stock! After not being able to get a wiring diagram for the power supply terminals, I knew this was the best bet. $45 shipped for 4 cables means both power supplies are back online!

Thanks to all for the suggestions and identification of the connectors.
That is Great news! But I don't think it would have been that difficult to figure them out though with a multi-meter one lead clamped to the metal chassis the other lead probes the pins (while the power supply is on of course but don't short two +V pins) 12VDC +- what ever the ATX spec is) +5VDC the chassis is tied to the black ground wire and also the houses grounding system (Green/yellow Green or just a bare copper wire)

Back