WTB: Parts for Kid Wanting To Build PC for Beam NG ($200 budget)

alik4041

[H]ard|Gawd
My friend's kid wants to build a computer for Beam NG. He's saved up $200 bucks, so I'm trying to make it work.
https://wiki.beamng.com/Requirements

I have some parts laying around that I'm chipping in, but was wondering if anyone had parts that may work FS. Appreciate anything that can work with the budget. Thanks for looking.

---UPDATE---

Pending

- Monitor - 23" Acer S230HL - $10

Need
- CPU
- HSF
- Motherboard
- Possible SSD &| HDD
- Monitor
- Keyboard

What I have available:
- DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB)
- DDR3 16GB (4 x 4GB)
- 128GB M.2 SSD + Asus Hyper M.2 PCI-E Card
- Logitech gaming mouse
- 120MM Fans
- All cables

$45 - local
- Case - Antec VSK3000 Elite
- PSU - Thermaltake Purepower 500w
- OD - LG Bluray

$50 - shipped
- GPU - AMD RX470

Last edited:
Zigmorph has a Rx470 listed for 55 bucks. Snap that up. Pick up an Optiplex mid tower with a i7 3770 and you should be on budget.

Or depending on what you already have go another route. Either way that GPU can’t be beat for 55.

My two boys play this and it eats CPUs for breakfast. However the lowest spec machine in the house does ok at 1080p dialed settings.
Haswell i5 4570
16gb ddr3
Gtx 950 2gb.
7200rpm WD 1tb hdd.

I wouldn’t go any lower spec than this for BeamNG Personally

My kid plays BeamNG on the 3960x AMD and 2080ti and he loves it.

I have some DDR3 modules I can donate. Just pay shipping is all im asking.

Pm if you need ddr3.

I also have a 2.5inch 750GB spindle, hitachi I can donate as well. Its sata.

Keeping an eye on this.

Also have stuff lying around that I dont mind donating if the rig specs line up.

Thank you all. I have the following to chip in:

OS Drive - 128gb m.2 ssd (non-nvme) - may work with older board along with asus hyper m.2 mini that I have
RAM - 2 sets of DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)
Cables

Still unsure about what platform. With a limited budget, I want to make sure we have an idea of all the parts before buying.
From what I've read about the game, it does seem to favor single threaded performance.
Also, thank you TheHig, but the kid really wants to build this thing instead of buying a system...which got me more excited about trying to find him the parts.

Last edited:
Just searched through the old stash and found a Diamond 7970 and 2x8GB DDR4 2400 sticks. Not sure if that gpu will be enough.

I have some DDR3 and wd 1tb 7200rpm drives for cheap.

Thank you all. I have the following to chip in:

OS Drive - 128gb m.2 ssd (non-nvme) - may work with older board along with asus hyper m.2 mini that I have
RAM - 2 sets of DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)
Cables

Still unsure about what platform. With a limited budget, I want to make sure we have an idea of all the parts before buying.
From what I've read about the game, it does seem to favor single threaded performance.
Also, thank you TheHig, but the kid really wants to build this thing instead of buying a system...which got me more excited about trying to find him the parts.

Even better! Building is so much more fun certainly and a great project for him. :cool:

I have some spare parts I'd be willing to donate if you cover shipping, maybe a CPU (pretty sure I have a 2600k) or two, ram, optical drives, and hard drives. I'll check this afternoon when I get home. I also have some large stuff (case: corsair 700D w/800D panel, monitors: 15" dell LCD and a 24" dell LCD) if you're local (30721, North of Atlanta, GA).

I still have the RX 470 kicking around, barely used. DVI only though. $50 shipped.

I'll check my video card box tonight I might have a 270 or something like it kicking around that you can have for the cost of shipping.

Just searched through the old stash and found a Diamond 7970 and 2x8GB DDR4 2400 sticks. Not sure if that gpu will be enough.

7970 is roughly equivalent to an r9 280/280x, iirc. Min reqs call for an HD7750/GTX 550 Ti, and that 7970 would be closer to the recommended reqs of an r9 290. But that RX 470 from above is pretty tempting, and you could probably unload that 7970 locally for the same money, tbh.

I got a 2500K and a P67a mobo looking to sell. only thing is you will need to add a cheap sound card as the front channel/headphone jack on the board is dead.

Thank you all. Also in need of a reasonable priced PSU and case. Siriso I would definitley take you on that offer if I was local.

Thank you all. Also in need of a reasonable priced PSU and case. Siriso I would definitley take you on that offer if I was local.
you'll want to buy a case locally or a new one from newegg or amazon as shipping a case from an individual can end up costing more than the case is worth.

I was really hoping to get rid of that case. I can't bring myself to toss it in the art bin. Definitely wouldn't be worth it to ship, that thing is heavy and huge. Anyhow, ygpm.

alik4041 DM me a shipping address if you still need a PSU. I got a little bit left on this Walmart gift card.

atp1916 Thank you for the kind offer, but I'm currently in conversation with someone for a used psu. We may need a HSF for the cpu though, which right about now is looking like it will be a 2600k. Something cheap like a freezer 7 pro or 12 would do. I would hate to waste people's gc/cash on new if I can find it used.

No worries. I can dig around to see if i've got anything HSF-wise. IIRC, LGA115x were all compatible w/ each other broadly speaking from the mounting perspective.

For something that CPU and memory intensive you might be well served finding a used dual CPU server motherboard like a Supermicro X8DTL-iF or X8DAH+ and a pair of X5660 Xeons. 12 cores for less than $100 if you shop well, I picked up a X8DAH+ and two X5660s on ebay for less than $75 recently. DDR3 Server RAM is cheap, about $1 a Gig for 8GB sticks in bulk (I got 144 GB for $100 shipped last month). Decent heatsinks were $18 each on Amazon. Add a video card and a small SSD and you could make it around $200.

Reactions: Jelly
like this
yeah i literally have 3 dell T5500s stacked up all but, 1 are dual socket 1366 6 core xeons and a spare super micro e-atx board also with dual 6 core xeons and one messed up PCI slot that one i'd probably let go cheap too if it went to a home where it would get used but, buyer would have to agree to satisfy my curiosity with a cpu usage screenshot while playing beam ng :D:ROFLMAO:

Thanks guys! This is just a review of what I have so far.

What I have available:
- DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB)
- DDR3 16GB (4 x 4GB)
- 128GB M.2 SSD + Asus Hyper M.2 PCI-E Card
- Logitech gaming mouse
- 120MM Fans
- All cables

$45 - local
- Case - Antec VSK3000 Elite
- PSU - Thermaltake Purepower 500w
- OD - LG Bluray

$50 - shipped
- GPU - AMD RX470

Need
- CPU
- HSF
- Motherboard
- Possible SSD &| HDD
- Monitor
- Keyboard

Wow, that's an extremely generous offer, thank you. I think it would be great to see if we can utilize all the cores since beam ng is supposed to use each core to render the physics of each simulated car. Would be very interesting to do a comparison. Also, I want to thank Siriso who was kind enough to donate a 2600k, 2TB HDD and cover shipping. I'm so grateful to be part of such a wonderful community. This makes me want to put something together in helping youth start their adventures into building computers!

The Antec case you have only supports microATX motherboards. The SuperMicro is EATX. (Rant about EATX "standards" here: https://hardforum.com/threads/tech-jesus-goes-on-a-tear-about-size.1994707/ ). Also, the SuperMicro also requires a sound card, two EPS12v connectors, and has a different (smaller) sized connector for the front panel header. Not big deals, adapters are only a few bucks, but something to be aware of. It's still a great deal. In a week or two my 11 year old daughter will be building a computer for her computer class based on a X8DAH+, when I finally get all the parts.
You might want to hit up the "Perpetual Freebies" thread LINK as well. Depending on what CPU/mobo you end up with, I may have a HSF for you.
Check Craigslist or your local Goodwill for monitors. I scored three 19" Dell flatscreens at Goodwill for $5 each. They're slightly washed out and dim compared side by side with new ones, but good enough until something better comes along.

i never used an 12pin EPS connector on this board, [i used each of the 4 pins from my 8pin] on the connectors you can get away with 2x 4pins in each of the 8pins or use a Chinese splitter. it's true e-atx. for what it's worth i shoved an eatx in to a view 37 despite being atx only. the trick is using plastic standoff / feet thingies where there isn't a hole in the tray but, there is in the mobo. i even used the 30lbs double sided gorilla tape under said feet.

cacp01soax.jpg

STANDOFFS-MotherBoard-STANDARD-MB-PLASTIC-100-PACK.jpg

on these you have to cut the round "nib" / "nipple" off the back with flush cutters

bonus rigitdty with this stuff on the back

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Heavy-Double-Mounting-Inches/dp/B019HT1U9E

only really works on cases that are big in side like for rads and stuff so the mobo physically has space to "run over" the atx the layout.

PHOTO_20181118_202004.jpg

see how it covered the the 24 pin hole, well ALL of the cable routing holes are now UNDER the mobo and not off to the side because it's so big.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Fenris_Ulf Thanks for the heads up! I was actually just looking at that when checking the standoffs! Yeah, I'm definitely covering the $ on this and chip in the PSU/Bluray drive. I've been checking craigslist, fb marketplace, and letgo for monitors. I thought I found one local for $10 but the person isn't responding. I wll definitely checkout the frebeies thread, thank you!

That computer class sounds great! She will have a spectacular system for her first build. Very exciting!

cdoublejj That's very clever with the plastic standoffs! I've ran into having motherboards going over the tray a bit, so this would've been super nice. I wonder if I can do this on that antec case. Thanks!

Last edited:
atp1916 Thank you for the kind offer, but I'm currently in conversation with someone for a used psu. We may need a HSF for the cpu though, which right about now is looking like it will be a 2600k. Something cheap like a freezer 7 pro or 12 would do. I would hate to waste people's gc/cash on new if I can find it used.

Will the below heatsink/fan work for you?

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-CL-P0497-Intel-Heatsink-Fan/dp/B001CCGYU0

If so, let me know. It is used but in good condition. All I ask is half the cost of shipping.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Fenris_Ulf Thanks for the heads up! I was actually just looking at that when checking the standoffs! Yeah, I'm definitely covering the $ on this and chip in the PSU/Bluray drive. I've been checking craigslist, fb marketplace, and letgo for monitors. I thought I found one local for $10 but the person isn't responding. I wll definitely checkout the frebeies thread, thank you!

That computer class sounds great! She will have a spectacular system for her first build. Very exciting!

cdoublejj That's very clever with the plastic standoffs! I've ran into having motherboards going over the tray a bit, so this would've been super nice. I wonder if I can do this on that antec case. Thanks!

only works on ATX cases micro ATX is not tall enough to fit ATX or E-ATX (4 PCI slots vs7). Or maybe you knew that already.

Back