WTB Motorola MB8600

regk

Limp Gawd
As the title states, I'm looking to switch internet providers and this one is on their "approved" list. after checking the forums here I would much rather go with an Arris SB8200 but I dont want to take the gamble that it may not work. FYI I do live in the great white north of Canada, so please factor that into shipping (guessing it will be like 25-30$) I have tried to source one locally with zero luck. am hoping to save some money on a gently used one!

Thanks!

Reg

I have an SB8200 that I pulled to upgrade to an s33 if you decide that will be ok. Shoot me a pm.

Last edited:
I have an SB8200 that I pulled to upgrade to an s33 if you decide that will be ok. Shoot me a pm.

I think I have one (SB8200) also just sitting around. If I can find it, you can have it for the shipping cost.

Continuing the plan of offering you things other than what you asked for, I have a Netgear CM1000, which as I understand it is a contemporary to the MB8600. I'm pretty sure they run the same chipset internally. Not sure if it is on your list or not; it worked great for my 1 Gbps cable when I still had that! It's just sitting around, so call it cost-of-shipping + $20 ?

I think I have one (SB8200) also just sitting around. If I can find it, you can have it for the shipping cost.
I appreciate that but my current ISP was super clear that it needs to be an mb8600, the arris version won't work... I know I know....

Continuing the plan of offering you things other than what you asked for, I have a Netgear CM1000, which as I understand it is a contemporary to the MB8600. I'm pretty sure they run the same chipset internally. Not sure if it is on your list or not; it worked great for my 1 Gbps cable when I still had that! It's just sitting around, so call it cost-of-shipping + $20 ?
I appreciate the offer, here is the approved device list from my ISP. I feel like the MB8600 is the fastest horse in the race!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230326-093807.png
    Screenshot_20230326-093807.png
    358.6 KB · Views: 0
None of the cable modems I have used are on my ISPs "approved" list. As long it has the most current DOCSIS version that is compatible with your ISP and speeds, it shouldn't be an issue. Give 'em the MAC address and bam, on the net.

You are in Canada though. Are they that stringent with cable modems?

For cable modems, as long as you're at the right DOCSIS level and have an equivalent number of channels, like 8x32 or whatever, then the modems will all be equal at that point. Not accounting for the possibility that the device is just *crap* or defective or whatever.

If your provider wants to give you 8x32 channels of downstream bandwidth and you have 8x32 channels capable of receiving on your modem end, then you're as good as you're going to get. In general, for performance, Motorola's 8x channels aren't going to be *faster* than Hitron's 8x channels or whatever.

All of the 'supported' malarkey is just providing a barrier/qualification that can be used by the tech support of the ISP. "Oh, your internet isn't performing well or isn't stable? Well it's probably because we don't support that device. You should rent our modem!, it's only $10/month forever."

First off I fully agree with what you are saying! What they are telling me is that they support what's on the list, and refuse to add anything else that is not on there.... If an SB8200 magically showed up at my place tho I would give it an honest shot at getting registered!

Makes sense to me. Sounds like they're just being pigheaded about it. I looked up the Hitron CODA and it's ~$90 on (USA) Amazon. That was the least expensive one I could find from your list. If you can't find one used, that may be an option!

I'm currently using a smartRG 808ac that I picked up off marketplace ( paid 30 CAD/20usd! ) The only challenge I have with that one is I had to downgrade to their 250/15 plan, whereas to use their 300/100 plan I need something capable of DOCSIS 3.1.

Come to think of it... They just wanted the serial number and Mac address off the modem... I wonder if I just gave them that info off of an unapproved modem if I would be good to go?..

Many moons ago I used to do tech support for Comcast (yup while living in Canada!) and as I recall once a modem was provisioned it would just work ... Our internal system would show whatever data the modem gave us, block sync, etc... But it's not like we pushed config files to the modem ... Again that was about 17 years ago already lol

I'm currently using a smartRG 808ac that I picked up off marketplace ( paid 30 CAD/20usd! ) The only challenge I have with that one is I had to downgrade to their 250/15 plan, whereas to use their 300/100 plan I need something capable of DOCSIS 3.1.

Come to think of it... They just wanted the serial number and Mac address off the modem... I wonder if I just gave them that info off of an unapproved modem if I would be good to go?..

Many moons ago I used to do tech support for Comcast (yup while living in Canada!) and as I recall once a modem was provisioned it would just work ... Our internal system would show whatever data the modem gave us, block sync, etc... But it's not like we pushed config files to the modem ... Again that was about 17 years ago already lol

Comcast at least does config files on modems, my last several all show files for the specific modem with the date it was set up for the modem. I curently have the MB8600 he is looking for as my modem with comcast, and it has had 3 config updates since I got it a few years ago. Thats why they have a supported list of modems on their website, and some random one wont work with their network.

Someone literally.... just beat me to it. I am convinced im just not supposed to have one of these modems lol, unless i want to spend almost 300$ CAD on one after exchange, taxes and shipping.

Back