[WTB] Graphics card x265 NVENC: Replacing 2 GTX550 TI's

kittmaster

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for some suggestions on replacing my GTX 550 Ti cards with something that will support x265 video encoding.

I don't really game any more so I don't need the SLI aspect, just one honker card to do GPU encoding is my end goal.

My two cards are PCI-Express 2.0 x16 interface and the motherboard is a P6X58D.

I have no plans to update the board/ram/cpu etc.

I really just need it for converting from x265 to x264 and prefer to offload to a GPU for rendering vs CPU.

So I'm asking to see if anyone has any hardware that would fit the bill and I hate using the word cheap, but cost effective is key here due to the age of the system.

I'm in 02864

Heatware is kittmaster.

Please advise and see if something makes sense.

Thanks,
Chris

I have a GTX 1060 3GB I could probably do $80 shipped if you don't mind the Pascal encoder vs the Turing one.

I have a GTX 1060 3GB I could probably do $80 shipped if you don't mind the Pascal encoder vs the Turing one.

I've been doing some reading, but not entirely sure, obviously the Turing is the latest greatest, but is there a true fundamental difference to be able to encode outside the B-Frame support that Turing offers?

I have been out of the loop for a while regarding performance based choices besides buy the latest and greatest.

Thanks for the quick response.

Chris

I've been doing some reading, but not entirely sure, obviously the Turing is the latest greatest, but is there a true fundamental difference to be able to encode outside the B-Frame support that Turing offers?

I have been out of the loop for a while performance besides buy the latest and greatest.

Thanks for the quick response.

Chris

Honestly, I don't know. I was looking for an upgrade for my Plex box to do NVENC and looked at the 1650 Super and they were all $150. I figured I could stay with the 1060 3GB since it was a lot cheaper and I already had it, so I didn't research any further.

Honestly, I don't know. I was looking for an upgrade for my Plex box to do NVENC and looked at the 1650 Super and they were all $150. I figured I could stay with the 1060 3GB since it was a lot cheaper and I already had it, so I didn't research any further.
get a quadro p2000 or p4000 those bastards can pull 20 or so streams the last i googled it and watched some tests on youtube.

get a quadro p2000 or p4000 those bastards can pull 20 or so streams the last i googled it and watched some tests on youtube.
most people are using 1050ti's and the like now since you can use unlocked drivers to do more than 2 streams.

Those cards mentioned are north of $300. My entire system is barely worth that. Just looking for something that many work. The 1060 presented just may be the ticket. Still doing some research. TY.

Just do the driver hack and the limitation of the gaming card goes away.

OP I use a GTX 1050ti and get along just fine for video encoding. All of my encodes are x265.

Just do the driver hack and the limitation of the gaming card goes away.

OP I use a GTX 1050ti and get along just fine for video encoding. All of my encodes are x265.

With that card, can you tell me what the average frame rate is when it encodes? With my laptop GTX960M, I see about 250-375 Frames/s. Just wondering if 265 is something near that? TY.

Chris

With that card, can you tell me what the average frame rate is when it encodes? With my laptop GTX960M, I see about 250-375 Frames/s. Just wondering if 265 is something near that? TY.

Chris
Here is a screen, this is converting a 2K bluray rip from h264 to h265. The preset is "slow" I believe when I did the same settings with a 1060 6gb the performance didn't change because it uses the encoder chip and not the full GPU.

EDIT## It's not a two pass encode, the first pass was just the subtitles.

handbrake.PNG

Back