WTB: ESXi 7 / vSphere license

zer0gravity

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking to purchase a ESXi license and/or vsphere for a (small biz/ single CPU / single server) and looking for people that are resellers or have suggestions on how to purchase. Currently on Free but it expires in 60 days.

PM with costs.

Was recently burned pretty badly by vmware and their licensing. 7K gone and it would have cost an extra 8K to "fix" according to them. We had CDW as our reseller, they seem to have single CPU licenses avail for approx ~$1040. I chose to switch hypervisors, im not sure if this is possible in your scenario, but have you ever used Proxmox? I use it at home and wound up converting our ESXI environment over to it at work also, its free to use but also has optional paid support packages.

It gets expensive. If you don't mind updating licensing (and paying) every year, you can play around with many of their products with VMUG membership https://www.vmug.com/membership/vmug-advantage-membership/. Might not be cheaper after 20 years or so, but maybe just the ticket "for now".

Frankly, if the goal is just to have a good hypervisor, their are plenty of free choices out there.

ESXi is free in perpetuity - login to your account and get a key, then apply it to your instance. The only snafu is you aren’t allowed to use the license in a for profit environment.

Last edited:
ESXi is free in perpetuity - login to your account and get a key, then apply it to your instance. The only snafu is you aren’t allowed to use the license in a for profit environment.
I need to use Veeam and the Free account will not work, also going to be for a small biz.

Back