WTB: Children's Leukemia Charity: Best gaming computer or components we can get for $1,000 total

Still at the office, but tracking shows the replacement board has been delivered! :)

Where are we at with this? Any progress with the Intel parts, or are we gonna try and switch to AMD?

Motherboard replacement received but I don't have another 10th gen Intel to test with. I've gone all Ryzen since my i5-8400.

I'm planning on tomorrow (Friday) afternoon to swap parts out and, if all is well, I'll deliver it on Sunday. Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself by saying that 😁

16483099348438312027157554633913.jpg

Never been so happy to see this screen before!!

So to recap today, here was the first view of the new (third) motherboard and it already looked better than the bad (second) motherboard that arrived suspiciously without anti static bags...
20220326_091026.jpg

Then it moved along to the greatest light show I've ever seen, only because there were F-ing lights actually turning ON finally!
20220326_093754.jpg

Then into the BIOS to start it FRESH:
20220326_094928.jpg

My sons' birthday party is over finally and everyone just left the house so I'm going to start transferring everything into the case and maybe we'll still hit the drop off target of tomorrow!!! I heard Harrison is getting picked up Monday morning from treatment so if this can get setup in his room beforehand it'll be a terrific surprise.

Everyone do a rain dance or something to ensure the [H]ardGods aren't going to fuck this build anymore 😂

So to recap today, here was the first view of the new (third) motherboard and it already looked better than the bad (second) motherboard that arrived suspiciously without anti static bags...
View attachment 457754

Then it moved along to the greatest light show I've ever seen, only because there were F-ing lights actually turning ON finally!
View attachment 457755

Then into the BIOS to start it FRESH:
View attachment 457756

My sons' birthday party is over finally and everyone just left the house so I'm going to start transferring everything into the case and maybe we'll still hit the drop off target of tomorrow!!! I heard Harrison is getting picked up Monday morning from treatment so if this can get setup in his room beforehand it'll be a terrific surprise.

Everyone do a rain dance or something to ensure the [H]ardGods aren't going to fuck this build anymore 😂
Just to make sure, wear double antistatic wrist straps for safety and good luck!

Packed up!!

This is just the box of additional goodies and accessories, along with the gaming monitor (which was a total PITA to repack haha):
1648397602391528741252749063363.jpg

And the pièce de résistance:
16483978415282772609383302136119.jpg

She's got all her covers on now, ready to deliver the magic!!

Let me say again, everyone, I'm overwhelmed at the support and could not have made this happen without your generosity and especially time and attention when things went sideways. We should all feel incredible because of what we were able to accomplish.

This kid went from having a slim hope of getting anything together during the height of the gpu shortage, to having an ABSOLUTE MONSTER of a gaming rig that would make every one of us proud to have on our desk.

Incredible work [H]ardforum Family, well done.

Let me say again, everyone, I'm overwhelmed at the support and could not have made this happen without your generosity and especially time and attention when things went sideways. We should all feel incredible because of what we were able to accomplish.

This kid went from having a slim hope of getting anything together during the height of the gpu shortage, to having an ABSOLUTE MONSTER of a gaming rig that would make every one of us proud to have on our desk.

Incredible work [H]ardforum Family, well done.

This isn't just a computer forum.

It's a community.

Pretty sure that was covered!

Desk - Received! - PayPal DONATION by Legcramp!!
Post 107 has the saddest picture of a kid sitting in a baller chair at his baller desk which is there to hold up an ipad.

Way to stick with it Jon! After the second board, I would have dropped the stuff off on the desk, opened up youtube computer building videos on that Ipad, and quietly left the room.

Epic patience.

Post 107 has the saddest picture of a kid sitting in a baller chair at his baller desk which is there to hold up an ipad.

Way to stick with it Jon! After the second board, I would have dropped the stuff off on the desk, opened up youtube computer building videos on that Ipad, and quietly left the room.

Epic patience.
Seriously dude! When it's our personal builds and we're texting the struggle, it's hilarious! Bonding over stupid build decisions and overlooked obvious issues.

When it's a build for someone that actually NEEDS it, it's stressful af!!

I was legit questioning my [H] abilities after the second board posted no power 🤦🏼 Then to make up for it I decided to do some cable management at 1am which I have NO idea how that didn't result in problems 😂

I'll post pics as soon as I receive them, hopefully later today.

Ok, bittersweet: He LOVES IT
ee520a2117858fb550c4f047c4ba2e95323f69ff-24.jpg

ee520a2117858fb550c4f047c4ba2e95323f69ff-14.jpg

...but shortly after this picture was taken during fortnite the computer powered off and now won't respond.
tenor.gif

They checked all power cables to ensure proper contact. It sounds like there's a click when they push the power button but nothing happens. No lights, no fans. Unplugged from the power strip and tried connecting directly to the wall. Power strip has power and the monitor plugged into that strip has power.

I think they checked the gpu to ensure it didn't become unseated during the car ride.

1000w corsair and I made sure to run two separate pcie cables to the gpu.

No overclocking except for enabling xmp on the memory.

What.
The.
Fak.

PSU?

What do you mean won’t respond? Will it power on and just hang? Or is it now not even powering on at all?

Random weirdos assemble!!!

Hmmmmm. Three different motherboards and power-on problems. Something is shorting out or PSU is crap. I think you need to get a hands-on second opinion/troubleshooting on your build by someone local. Way too many problems occurring.

Ok picked it up and took it back into the nerd lab. Pulled psu out and disconnected everything, tried shorting the ATX connector to turn it on = nothing.

I hear the faint click they were talking about. Sounds like it just couldn't keep up with all the awesome we crammed into there.

Hmmmmm. Three different motherboards and power-on problems. Something is shorting out or PSU is crap. I think you need to get a hands-on second opinion/troubleshooting on your build by someone local. Way too many problems occurring.
Good advice, compcons was going to get an early morning delivery of this thing if it wasn't the PSU.

I’d be glad to help troubleshoot. Where are you located?
Much appreciated, do you live closer to me than compcons and have a spare PSU in the 850w range 😁 I'm west of Gurnee near Ivanhoe (Mundelein/Grayslake/Round Lake area)

May sound dumb but check your motherboard standoffs. A rogue one could cause all sorts of issues.

I agree sounds like a psu issue. Replace and see what happens
Honestly, this was the first thing I thought of over the phone with them. I thought the mobo might have been jarred into the standoffs during transit. My very first computer in the late '90s had this problem and I bought a second Celeron 300A and learned the hard way. Never forgot that lesson!

Wasn't even thinking of the UPS. I do have one of those in the garage that I never opened.
Will text in case you can't dig up a PSU and UPS. I have both and have a fairly light day tomorrow I think. Good reason to get together for beers. As if there needs to be a reason for drinks...

Ok, bittersweet: He LOVES IT
View attachment 458315

View attachment 458316

...but shortly after this picture was taken during fortnite the computer powered off and now won't respond.
View attachment 458319

They checked all power cables to ensure proper contact. It sounds like there's a click when they push the power button but nothing happens. No lights, no fans. Unplugged from the power strip and tried connecting directly to the wall. Power strip has power and the monitor plugged into that strip has power.

I think they checked the gpu to ensure it didn't become unseated during the car ride.

1000w corsair and I made sure to run two separate pcie cables to the gpu.

No overclocking except for enabling xmp on the memory.

What.
The.
Fak.

PSU?
Priceless photo

Small victories:

IMG_20220329_160628_01.jpg

Thanks to p0lish for finding a 1000w PSU in stock last night, looks like that was definitely the issue.

I'll do some cable management and get it back to Bear tonight after dinner. Apparently he Google'd "How to fix a computer that won't turn on" and asked his mom if they tried everything on the list before getting teary-eyed 😥

This build will be the death/redemption of me.

Back