WTB: Children's Leukemia Charity: Best gaming computer or components we can get for $1,000 total

This thread is just all sorts of awesome. And I think I have another one of my great ideas coming on........

Sudden Idea Bulb.gif

Another way any of us here can contribute to a little good cheer to this brave little guy is a simple card of get well/encouragement. It's only a couple of bucks to buy and send, and I bet the little guy having a pile of them to pull out and read through when he wants will help put a smile on his face. Just a thought. I've got your address already so look out for a card for the little guy as well. Anybody else want to do the same, can PM you for your address to send it to and you can deliver to the little guy. Just a thought.

I was sick once when I was 10, had an operation, (not life threatening but it sucked and it was hard to not be scared anyways) and I remember a few cards from friends and classmates really cheered me up. I was just thinking it might do the same for the little man in his battles.

This thread is just all sorts of awesome. And I think I have another one of my great ideas coming on........

View attachment 449911

Another way any of us here can contribute to a little good cheer to this brave little guy is a simple card of get well/encouragement. It's only a couple of bucks to buy and send, and I bet the little guy having a pile of them to pull out and read through when he wants will help put a smile on his face. Just a thought. I've got your address already so look out for a card for the little guy as well. Anybody else want to do the same, can PM you for your address to send it to and you can deliver to the little guy. Just a thought.

I was sick once when I was 10, had an operation, (not life threatening but it sucked and it was hard to not be scared anyways) and I remember a few cards from friends and classmates really cheered me up. I was just thinking it might do the same for the little man in his battles.
Love the idea! I'm sure he would appreciate it, send away!! Whoever wants to send something just PM for my address and I'll make sure he gets them 👍🏻

Can't wait to see the finished build! This little dude is gonna be so excited for this amazing rig. Thanks you to everyone who's been a part of this. ❤️

The chemo really takes a huge toll on these kids (everyone really) and so they're not able to do much of anything. When my son was in the beginning stages of chemo (at 5 years old) there were times when all he did was lay on the couch all day. He didn't have the energy to move and also his joints in his legs and back hurt so bad from the leukemia. I had to carry him to the bathroom to relieve himself and sometimes he would just lay there and cry from the pain. Doctors wanted us to keep him loaded up on oxycodone all day. The oxy worked but it just made him sleep.. Also they can get addicted and it's terrible on their liver. Thankfully medical Marijuana was legalized in Ohio shortly before my son was diagnosed. Insurance wouldn't cover any of it doctor visits or the medicine itself so that was all out of pocket for it. We gave him an oil form of medical marijuana (after being prescribed it) instead of the oxycodone. I can't tell you how good it felt to see him pain free and smiling. There were times he'd just be laughing til he had tears in his eyes. I was so happy it made me cry ya know... Anyway.. One of the things we bought him shortly after being bed ridden was a Nintendo switch. He was so happy to have that and be able to do something while being stuck on the couch. I can't wait to see or hear about how happy this rig makes this kid. I know it'll mean a lot to him.

Really appreciate you sharing your story, and it's good to hear that you'll think Bear will love it especially because you've been through it.

I'm going to get a couple cups of coffee into me and then I'll get back to assembling.

I could use some help on the logo idea, I don't have the capability to fabricate or design beyond what I sketched up. Anybody that could take that and run with it would be appreciated 👍🏻

Thinking AIO intake on back mount and 3 fans on exhaust on top of case. With the 3080ti inside its going to need to get all that hot air out so that's why I'm thinking triple exhaust.

16465854789549066416681333806980.jpg

What are the chances it'll initial boot with both sticks of ram? I'm living on the edge!!!
16465864568976585500440325283317.jpg

AIO installed after figuring out which standoffs to use, since the installation manual specifically called out every socket EXCEPT LGA 1200 and I tried all the Intel standoffs EXCEPT the ones that ended up fitting 🤦🏼
16465888287461295941131025448106.jpg

Also, shout-out to Gigabyte for including the sticker on the motherboard telling me not to use the nvme slot closest to the cpu for the boot drive👍🏻

THE PIÈCE DE RÉSISTANCE :
16465892949965751789136453858873.jpg

Last edited:
FYI make sure you use TWO separate PCIE cables for the 3080 Ti. It's tempting to use just one bundle (e.g. one cable /w two 8 pin connectors) for cable management but that bad boy easily exceeds the power on one cable.

FYI make sure you use TWO separate PCIE cables for the 3080 Ti. It's tempting to use just one bundle (e.g. one cable /w two 8 pin connectors) for cable management but that bad boy easily exceeds the power on one cable.
Yes! Great reminder.

I'm running into another power issue: it looks like I only have an 8 pin cpu power cable but I also need a 4 pin power cable. Is the 6 pin pci-e cable compatible with the 4 pin motherboard power connector? The plugs seem to line up but I don't want to risk it.

Anyone know?

Yes! Great reminder.

I'm running into another power issue: it looks like I only have an 8 pin cpu power cable but I also need a 4 pin power cable. Is the 6 pin pci-e cable compatible with the 4 pin motherboard power connector? The plugs seem to line up but I don't want to risk it.

Anyone know?
They are not compatible. The power supply should have 2 8 pin motherboard connectors with at least one split in a 4+4 configuration.

Yes! Great reminder.

Anyone know?
Nope not compatible. If you read the manual it should say the extra 4pin is for extreme overclockomg. You honestly should not need it.

Thinking AIO intake on back mount and 3 fans on exhaust on top of case. With the 3080ti inside its going to need to get all that hot air out so that's why I'm thinking triple exhaust.

View attachment 451053

What are the chances it'll initial boot with both sticks of ram? I'm living on the edge!!!
View attachment 451057

AIO installed after figuring out which standoffs to use, since the installation manual specifically called out every socket EXCEPT LGA 1200 and I tried all the Intel standoffs EXCEPT the ones that ended up fitting 🤦🏼
View attachment 451076
Also, shout-out to Gigabyte for including the sticker on the motherboard telling me not to use the nvme slot closest to the cpu for the boot drive👍🏻

THE PIÈCE DE RÉSISTANCE :
View attachment 451085
excited to see this coming together - thanks for letting me be a part of it.

Yes! Great reminder.

Anyone know?
The 4-pin is optional. The 8-pin EPS can deliver more than enough power on its own. Do not plug the PCIe power cable into the EPS socket.

Yes! Great reminder.

Anyone know?
It's there somewhere...you are just missing it.

It's there somewhere...you are just missing it.
Checked through all the cables, only have one 8-pin split EPS and no 4-pin or another 8-pin split. No problem, ordered another 8-pin split EPS.

Screenshot_20220308-134151_Amazon Shopping.png

Edit: A couple Steam cards came in, updated list!

Last edited:
As far as mounting the AIOs, you might check this out.

Actually very helpful video, and I also watched the JayZ Two Cents review of this video. I think the rad will be slightly above the pump if I mount it on the side intake. I'll attempt to power up the rig without the additional cable and see if I can install windows this weekend. Then I'll try to dry-fit everything and get ready to cable manage.

I have heard that Bear is REARING to go on this so if I can get all complete except for the power cable this weekend it'll be a win.

I have heard that Bear is REARING to go on this so if I can get all complete except for the power cable this weekend it'll be a win.

Good to hear, but don't pressure yourself too much. I'm sure Bear would rather wait another day or 2 then have the system before the bugs are worked out.

Got card in the mail today, don't mind the icicles on it when you get it. It was Cold AF today🥶

Actually very helpful video, and I also watched the JayZ Two Cents review of this video. I think the rad will be slightly above the pump if I mount it on the side intake. I'll attempt to power up the rig without the additional cable and see if I can install windows this weekend. Then I'll try to dry-fit everything and get ready to cable manage.

The 8-pin EPS connector can give the CPU over 200W. The additional 4-pin really isn't needed unless you're doing some hardcore overclocking.

So, fun update 🤦🏼

Powered system on, wouldn't boot with both sticks of RAM, not surprised of course. Removed one to get into BIOS, played with all the basic settings, enabled xmp, reboot, good to go.

Powered off, installed second stick of RAM, powered on = boot loop halting on RAM.

Back and forth into BIOS and removing / replacing second RAM stick but no joy. Start thinking maybe the second RAM stick is bad (but what are the odds of that, really?) so I swap the second stick of RAM into the first (known good) stick's slot. Power on, boot loop starts again, SMALL PUFF OF SMOKE from underside of motherboard. Panic and kill power, here's what I find :
IMG_20220313_141255.jpg

One of the motherboard circuits melted up and out.

Here is the topside, the melt happened above the F_PANEL:
20220313_143214.jpg

Replaced original RAM, motherboard powers on fine and works.

I'm going to have to chase down silicon power for RMA on RAM, anyone think that Gigabyte will replace board?

Last edited:
That's a friggin drag man! Your best bet for a quick turn around is to return it to the vendor(if possible) vs dealing with a slow RMA with Gigabyte. I would simply show them where the mb cooked itself and tell them your trouble shooting steps that led you to finding the fault. More so that they understand you know what your doing and aren't a rookie. That will go far in getting the return approved without any bs. If the return window is closed I've found Gigabytes tech and cs to be competent but somewhat slow.
With your memory I would go the same route. Send it/take it back for an exchange or refund vs going the RMA route for speeds sake. If you don't have to mention that the mb potentially killed it I wouldn't, just to avoid any headaches. Let them know you tested both modules individually in separate rigs and have found one to be bad in both systems. Won't, boot or pass memtest86+ etc...
You're doing a great thing for this young fella. Much respect my man.
Way to knock it out of the park Hardforum! You all are making the forum proud!

So, fun update 🤦🏼

Powered system on, wouldn't boot with both sticks of RAM, not surprised of course. Removed one to get into BIOS, played with all the basic settings, enabled xmp, reboot, good to go.

Powered off, installed second stick of RAM, powered on = boot loop halting on RAM.

Back and forth into BIOS and removing / replacing second RAM stick but no joy. Start thinking maybe the second RAM stick is bad (but what are the odds of that, really?) so I swap the second stick of RAM into the first (known good) stick's slot. Power on, boot loop starts again, SMALL PUFF OF SMOKE from underside of motherboard. Panic and kill power, here's what I find :View attachment 453336
One of the motherboard circuits melted up and out.

Here is the topside, the melt happened above the F_PANEL:
View attachment 453341

Replaced original RAM, motherboard powers on fine and works.

I'm going to have to chase down silicon power for RMA on RAM, anyone think that Gigabyte will replace board?
Worry about the mobo. I think we can get the RAM covered no problem from here, so maybe concentrate on the mobo. That defines the rest of the build because you have the CPU. If you need more RAM, hit me up and maybe I can buy it at BB near you for pickup. Maybe Xerack can help you out there.

Mobo and RAM replacements in process, much respect to xerack and kyang357 for going above and beyond to immediately offer help!!

This won't be too much delayed since I'm still waiting on that additional power cable to come in as well.

I laughed at the situation last night because of course this is the typical stuff that happens when we all do a build, right? (when was the last time every single thing went smoothly in your build) But of course this is the first time I've had a kid waiting for it to get done, as patiently as his young mind can possibly wait :

7998e606b2f9900cd3bbbfab8b49e8d0cc431eca-14.jpg

His look in this one cracks me up and I think it clearly says "hey thanks alot guys, Sooooooo... Is it done yet?"
7998e606b2f9900cd3bbbfab8b49e8d0cc431eca-24.jpg

(please notice the additional bags of candy in the background which was part of the "use this money for something fun" donations)

If for some reason you think the PSU isn't working, let me know and i'll order one to you. I hooked it up to my tester before i sent it and it came back all good. Let me know.

If you aren't able to get the motherboard situation sorted out and you end up needing to pivot, I should have an X570 Tomahawk coming back from RMA that I could contribute.

Reassembled in all black:
16478098214934273293582640815712.jpg

No power with the new components 🤦🏼
Swapped out the new RAM for the original stick that was known good, no dice.
Changed power supply just to be sure, nothing popping up.
Cleared BIOS and pulled CMOS battery. Still nothing.

I'm thinking a bad motherboard? I did notice when the replacement came in that it was not in an antistatic bag and the manual looked rifled through. I just contacted xerack and we'll work on a replacement.

Let me know if anyone has any other ideas.

If you aren't able to get the motherboard situation sorted out and you end up needing to pivot, I should have an X570 Tomahawk coming back from RMA that I could contribute.
Havoc we might want to look at that RMA if you've received it 👍🏻

Reseat the CPU in the socket and while you are at it make sure you inserted it in the proper direction. IOW make sure you aligned the arrow on the CPU properly in the motherboard.

Total bummer. Did you try a different CPU to be sure? I am not sure if you have another lying around. Any lights on the board for troubleshooting?

Back