WTB: Old Hardware

Durvelle27

2[H]4U
Looking for some old parts to build a cheap rig with. Not looking to break the bank.

DDR2 RAM 2GB+
DDR3 RAM 2GB+
LGA 1366 Board
LGA 775 Quads
LGA 775 Board
AM2/AM2+ Quads
AM2/AM2+ Board
AM3 Quad or Octa
AM3 Board
GPU (GTX 460 and above)

Like mentioned not trying to spend an awful lot. Send me whatever you have.

Last edited:
Do you even need hardware this fast? My Plex server handles 4K just fine and it's an OLD HP desktop with a Core2Duo 8400 and 4GB RAM lol.

I mean, you do you, but I don't think you'd need that good a hardware even.

Do you even need hardware this fast? My Plex server handles 4K just fine and it's an OLD HP desktop with a Core2Duo 8400 and 4GB RAM lol.

Nawl just something to get the job done

Doesn’t it depend if it’ll be transcoding and how many streams?

I dunno, my 4 core Phenom 2 system was really slow on plex maneuvering movie selections, and if you tried to fast forward/rewind anything. FX 8 core much better. It shouldn't be transcoding but I think it does it behind the scenes anyway.

But if you're convinced a 4 core is good enough, I have one for sale on the FS forums, LOL. Phenom 2 955+mobo+8gb ram $100 shipped. Shameless plug. :)

If that's the case then I'd scour Craigslist and get some cheap $100 Dell. Plex just doesn't require that much. Either way, good luck!
Craigslist where I live is dead. Hardly anyone uses it especially techies

Doesn’t it depend if it’ll be transcoding and how many streams?
Normally there’s only 1 stream going at a time as I mostly use it and it does seem to be transcoding sometimes but only when playing 4K H.264 which murders my laptop which my plex is currently on

Depends on your "clients" though; anything recent , there should be very little transcoding..
Clients are

3x 4K Smart TVs
Xbox One S
Xbox One X
OG Xbox One

All of them play most movies with no hitch but 4K H.264 struggles on all of them

My server handles my needs just fine, then again it prob does little transcoding, only to maybe the Roku TV's. The Nvidia Shields do a wonderful job of direct playing. I have an e3-1220 v3 and even that I'd like to upgrade soon, more for kicks than anything. Maybe I'll list it the barebones here, 16gb ram and an asus itx board. I got a 4TB WD Purple drive laying around too. Hm.

I have an hp small form 8200 elite. I7-2600 ...4x4gb 1333 ram and a 500gb wd black drive. It was my plex server, mce buddy commercial ripping and nextpvr dvr box.

I replaced it with an i7-6700 else id still be using it. Just fired it up and it was working then intermittently not. Not sure if memory needed reseating. Did that then worked.. then not.. ughhh..

Anyway cpu goes roughly $100 on ebay.... $200 shipped if u want it. Ill throw in a low profile video card. Gotta find it.
Im thinking power supply is the issue and have a spare somewhere. Ill look for it. Once working correctly.. if u want it let me know

If you see something on the Chicago craigslist and want it, I can help get it for you since I have very good rates with my UPS account. (Shipping a full system should be well under $20 even if it's heavy.) This area has tons of comp equipment on there all time so you can find deals if you look hard enough (like what you need <$100 shipped).

This one is literally in my back yard:
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/sys/d/windows-10-lenovo-desktop/6558358443.html

Last edited:
so it depends on how many clients you have, but plex usually recommends atleast 2000 passmark per stream(if you are transcoding) you want to have going at a time.

I ran that setup for awhile but ended up upgrading due to the CPU pegging at 100% when streaming various 1080p and 720p movies to my Apple TV4. Also, the interface was kinda laggy with the old C2D.
Picked up an AMD FX-8150 and Asus Sabertooth board for $60 on craigslist and have been using that for over a year now with no issues.

I upgraded to a i7-6700 and supposedly the 6th gen i7 are better at transcoding, but also if your using a Roku or apple tv box, they do the transcoding, thus you don't need a fast cpu...

I upgraded to a i7-6700 and supposedly the 6th gen i7 are better at transcoding, but also if your using a Roku or apple tv box, they do the transcoding, thus you don't need a fast cpu...
My devices require transcoding on certain formats as Microsoft decided not to let the Xbox One support 4K H.264

ahhhh gotcha...
So just to clue in

I have 3 4K Smart TVs

Only the LG Supports Direct Stream 4K H.264 with no transcoding

For the other TVs I use a Xbox One S and Xbox One X. Neither Support 4K H.264 only 4K HEVC so when I try streaming 4K content my movies constantly buffer which is annoying. So the idea was to build a cheap Plex Server to hopefully alleveiate this problem since I’m running Plex currently from a Laptop with a Pentium and 4GB of RAM.

a Laptop with a Pentium and 4GB of RAM.

GAHHHH!!!!! HAH..

stupid question.. you say streaming 4k buffers on xbox one x and xbox one s.. wireless or wired? I do not have any 4k tvs (U LUCKY!!!) ... so I stream wireless to both 1080 and no buffer but I could see 4k killing them

GAHHHH!!!!! HAH..

stupid question.. you say streaming 4k buffers on xbox one x and xbox one s.. wireless or wired? I do not have any 4k tvs (U LUCKY!!!) ... so I stream wireless to both 1080 and no buffer but I could see 4k killing them
I tried with both remembering they are on the same network

ISP is 300/50 router is Gigabit 1000 and AC 1300

1080P and 4K HEVC files play fine without a hitch. 4K H.264 is the only format that doesn’t play well with the Xbox’s as Microsoft didn’t include support for it.

I have DDR2 and DDR3 if you figure out what board and chip you're using.

Back