WTB: Cheap laptop (Under $450)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morphes

Supreme [H]ardness
Found the laptop, thank you everyone! You guys are the best!

Looking for a friend. He is going backpacking through Europe, and wants something lightweight and not slow. He is talking about running linux on it. Show me what you got!

Requirements:

i5/i7 ivy bridge or newer
8-16gb of ram
at least 256gb ssd
12-15" screen

Payment over paypal or crypto
Heatware in sig

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I have a ThinkPad T440s with the following specs if your friend might be interested. Best thing about it? Battery life - it runs consistently for 12-15 hours at 40% screen brightness, can reach almost 20 hours if you use the Lenovo battery saver profile (it reduces the screen brightness to about 15% and reduces power consumption by every other device slightly, decreases the screen refresh to 50 Hz as well). But there aren't many laptops that can run - actually be useful - for 15+ hours, this one can and does for me regularly.

- Intel i5-4300U CPU @ 1.9 GHz with peaks up to 2.9 GHz
- 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM (2x4GB sticks)
- 14" 1600x900 Matte Anti-glare display panel (no damage, no dead pixels)
- Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD (it's about 1.5 months old, still under warranty if new owner registers it with Samsung, 5 years, purchased in mid-June 2018)
- 3 USB 3.0 ports, one of them can be set for "Always on" status which means it provides juice for USB peripherals even if the laptop is shut down aka completely off (not standby/sleep mode)
- mini-DisplayPort
- VGA port
- Headphone/mic combo jack (works with most smartphone headsets)
- 720p webcam
- Fingerprint reader for increased security (I've never used it but I did test it once without issues)
- Intel Gigabit NIC
- Intel 7260 802.11ac Wi-Fi card (speeds up to 887 Mbps), backwards compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n
- Memory card slot for full size SD/SDXC/MemoryStick/etc memory cards
- SIM card slot as well if your friend wants to add in a WWAN broadband networking card at a later time in the m.2 slot (can also add another SSD if they want in that slot)
- NEW backlit keyboard (just replaced last week 'cause of some key caps that snapped off - blame the cat)
- Internal 22 watt hour 3-cell battery (inside the casing, it allows for hot swapping the external 6-cell if needed or changing power adapters)
- External 71 watt hour 6-cell extended battery (causes the laptop to sit at an angle but it's worth that 15+ hours of battery life)
- about 4.5 lbs when carried
- original Lenovo 90 watt AC adapter (has the rectangular power plug popular with ThinkPads nowadays, not a cylindrical plug)
- laptop is 0.8" thick when it's closed

There's some very very minor scrapes and scuffs on the body of the laptop but aside from that it's in excellent condition. It has no functional issues whatsoever, no damage to speak of, was going to list in in the For Sale/Trade forum soon anyway for $240 so, see if your friend might be interested. Payment by PayPal, shipping included in the price by USPS Priority Mail, insured for $250, shipped from Missouri. Pics or more info available if needed.

Thanks... I don't have Heatware but I did sell an X1 Carbon ThinkPad to another member here recently if you want to contact them and ask about the transaction.

Oh, forgot to add the choice of OS installed: Windows 7 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro (this is NOT a touchscreen display so, keep that in mind), or Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (note that is NOT Windows 10 Professional, it's the newer SKU product and not the original one), fully updated regardless of whichever one is chosen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: xx0xx
like this
That Thinkpad sounds literally perfect for what the OP's friend would need. :eek:

T450s, i5, 8gb, I installed a Samsung 850evo 500gb, 1600x900.
$300 shipped to your door.

PMd you.

You can try hunting some Dell Latitude E7470 off of ebay.

3 year warranty (or whatever is remaining of it. Be sure to initiate the warranty transfer)

Sometimes you can find them on ebay below $500 and sometimes if lucky below $400.

Earlier this year my friend picked up one for about $420.

i7-6600U
1x 8GB DDR4-2400 (with another ram slot available)
256GB m.2 SSD SATA (m.2 slot is compatible with both SATA & NVME (2x bandwidth))
1920x1080 IPS matte screen
Back-lit keyboard
finger-print reader

The SD card reader runs off the PCI-e lanes and not USB so it makes a very decent secondary storage place for a large SD.

I mean there are sales on the XPS 13" and entry level surface laptop right now too but he has to stretch his budget + I wouldn't call touchscreen 4k laptops particularly travel beater ideal.

Last edited:
I have a ThinkPad T440s with the following specs if your friend might be interested. Best thing about it? Battery life - it runs consistently for 12-15 hours at 40% screen brightness, can reach almost 20 hours if you use the Lenovo battery saver profile (it reduces the screen brightness to about 15% and reduces power consumption by every other device slightly, decreases the screen refresh to 50 Hz as well). But there aren't many laptops that can run - actually be useful - for 15+ hours, this one can and does for me regularly.

- Intel i5-4300U CPU @ 1.9 GHz with peaks up to 2.9 GHz
- 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM (2x4GB sticks)
- 14" 1600x900 Matte Anti-glare display panel (no damage, no dead pixels)
- Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD (it's about 1.5 months old, still under warranty if new owner registers it with Samsung, 5 years, purchased in mid-June 2018)
- 3 USB 3.0 ports, one of them can be set for "Always on" status which means it provides juice for USB peripherals even if the laptop is shut down aka completely off (not standby/sleep mode)
- mini-DisplayPort
- VGA port
- Headphone/mic combo jack (works with most smartphone headsets)
- 720p webcam
- Fingerprint reader for increased security (I've never used it but I did test it once without issues)
- Intel Gigabit NIC
- Intel 7260 802.11ac Wi-Fi card (speeds up to 887 Mbps), backwards compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n
- Memory card slot for full size SD/SDXC/MemoryStick/etc memory cards
- SIM card slot as well if your friend wants to add in a WWAN broadband networking card at a later time in the m.2 slot (can also add another SSD if they want in that slot)
- NEW backlit keyboard (just replaced last week 'cause of some key caps that snapped off - blame the cat)
- Internal 22 watt hour 3-cell battery (inside the casing, it allows for hot swapping the external 6-cell if needed or changing power adapters)
- External 71 watt hour 6-cell extended battery (causes the laptop to sit at an angle but it's worth that 15+ hours of battery life)
- about 4.5 lbs when carried
- original Lenovo 90 watt AC adapter (has the rectangular power plug popular with ThinkPads nowadays, not a cylindrical plug)
- laptop is 0.8" thick when it's closed

There's some very very minor scrapes and scuffs on the body of the laptop but aside from that it's in excellent condition. It has no functional issues whatsoever, no damage to speak of, was going to list in in the For Sale/Trade forum soon anyway for $240 so, see if your friend might be interested. Payment by PayPal, shipping included in the price by USPS Priority Mail, insured for $250, shipped from Missouri. Pics or more info available if needed.

Thanks... I don't have Heatware but I did sell an X1 Carbon ThinkPad to another member here recently if you want to contact them and ask about the transaction.

Oh, forgot to add the choice of OS installed: Windows 7 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro (this is NOT a touchscreen display so, keep that in mind), or Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (note that is NOT Windows 10 Professional, it's the newer SKU product and not the original one), fully updated regardless of whichever one is chosen.

thinkpads rock, but is that the generation that got the awful touchpad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back