WTB cheap CPU/MOBO combo for plex server.

Edgar

2[H]4U
I have all other parts. Just looking for a little more umph so I can share out with more than just 1 person. Has to have 8 sata ports please. And CPU must be better than an intel i7 930.

PM offers. Budget around $200ish (less) if thats possible. Thank you!

Last edited:
I think it has 6 ports but I have an i7 3770k w mobo/ram/120 gb SSD

Not sure if I do but I’ll check.. give just a bit works crazy and will get you the pm

my mobo doesn't support it. It was one of the first dfi's made and would require a hardware mod to support it.

Why don't you just replace the 930 with a hex core Xeon? My Plex server runs a [email protected] and I have no issues.

I'm curious how many people he's trying to stream to that the 930 can't handle? My Plex server has an i3 4130T (2.9ghz with 2/4 cores) and I can stream to in house plus two or three out of house clients no problem.

Not sure if I do but I’ll check.. give just a bit works crazy and will get you the pm

If OP doesn't bite, I'd be curios to know what you're asking for that i7 and board, too :-P

I'm curious how many people he's trying to stream to that the 930 can't handle? My Plex server has an i3 4130T (2.9ghz with 2/4 cores) and I can stream to in house plus two or three out of house clients no problem.

You're probably direct streaming and not transcoding.

FYI I'm in the middle of upgrading my plex server from an old i5-3570K to a 4790K because I've had transcoding issues with external use. Most source is 720 or 1080, and pretty sure the sole bottleneck is my CPU. YMMV of course, but you might want to aim a little higher than the 3770K.

I run a dual opteron setup. For external I scale my media down to off set some issues with connectivity. That said your media and encoding traffic are unique so in short overkill for one dude is not quite enough for another.

Hey, if my Synology ATOM processor NAS 1515+ can handle Plex streaming blu-rays, I think any motherboard in the past 5 years i5+ should handle it fine.

If it’s not transcoding a lot then I could see that working well. My server was originally built for UMS which is much more of a resource hog.

Hey, if my Synology ATOM processor NAS 1515+ can handle Plex streaming blu-rays, I think any motherboard in the past 5 years i5+ should handle it fine.
My issue is not streaming, it is transcoding.

Back