WTB: Case for H8QGI-F (G34 4P Server)

m33pm33p

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2013
I need something function to use as a case so that I can get my new 4P out into my garage. Its obviously producing a lot of heat in a very small man cave and I want to negate that to the best of my ability. Id love to just be able to throw it out there on the standoffs it has now but it does get dusty/dirty out there so Id like to at least try and keep it a bit clean.

The case doesnt need to be special or even pretty. Just functional.

Also open to any idea's anyone else may have.

Heat is under m33pm33p

sigimage.php

Check out the 2/4P guide.
There are a few case options listed there...
Depending on your budget, I would say Norco 470 or HAF 932

I have four in my garage here in Phoenix. Lotsa dust. I just blow them off once a month.

I have some plywood that my Tyan S8812 used to be on. I have the standoffs mounted on it so it'd be a perfect fit. Though, I'm guessing you'd have to relocate them.

However, I'm guessing it will cost me more to ship it than it will for you to go to Home Depot and buy a 2x2 sheet of plywood, some 6/32 hammer in threaded stud things and a baggie of standoffs...

I have some plywood that my Tyan S8812 used to be on. I have the standoffs mounted on it so it'd be a perfect fit. Though, I'm guessing you'd have to relocate them.

However, I'm guessing it will cost me more to ship it than it will for you to go to Home Depot and buy a 2x2 sheet of plywood, some 6/32 hammer in threaded stud things and a baggie of standoffs...

Yea, plus Im looking for something thats more of a enclosed nature so dust and debris are not just freely traveling into the heatsinks and what not.

There is someone on another forum that make stackable racks for these setups from alu bars. They fit a PSU, mobo + hight is enough for aircoolers such as CM Hyper212. That way you can place them 4 on top of eachother. It is not me btw. Just giving you a tip.

The HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition is on sale now at Newegg for $140 after promo code - $10 MIR, but today is the last day. That is the cheapest route I have seen for a 4p G34 case. Minor modding is required to make it fit (very minor, I hear - have never done it myself.) I think I am going to go that route for my remaining G34 machine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119213

Yea, plus Im looking for something thats more of a enclosed nature so dust and debris are not just freely traveling into the heatsinks and what not.

If you buy a case, you're still going to need fans which will bring dust and debris into the case. You'll need to open the case ever so often and blow it out since it could get as dirty as the open-frame idea.

I used the Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra. The only mod I had to do was add 4 standoffs at the very top of the motherboard tray (I had to remove the two stock 230mm top fans). I mounted the P/S on the bottom and there is tons of room in this beast.

Blackhawk Ultra:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147157

If you buy a case, you're still going to need fans which will bring dust and debris into the case. You'll need to open the case ever so often and blow it out since it could get as dirty as the open-frame idea.

I used the Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra. The only mod I had to do was add 4 standoffs at the very top of the motherboard tray (I had to remove the two stock 230mm top fans). I mounted the P/S on the bottom and there is tons of room in this beast.

Blackhawk Ultra:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147157

I didnt mean that I would totally neglect cleaning it. I just wanted to protect the components as much as possible in there.

I actually think Im going to try and find one of the Blackhawks and give it a go.

Yes the guy mentioned who makes alum bar cases is Sportswood or close to that. He had very nice stuff. Look him up... then cover the top and sides with plywood or some such. Rig up as many fans as possible and blow into the case... creating a positive pressure.. then any cracks etc will be blowing out not sucking in. Put filters on the intake of the fans... heck you could even rig up an old car intake filter to stop the dust without too much trouble. Then you have a clean cool environment without too much invested.

Just my 2 cents.

Look at the Xigmatec Esylim (check spelling on both) i think its the same case as the Blackhawk linked above .... i believe its what Patriot uses for his 4P.

Look at the Xigmatec Esylim (check spelling on both) i think its the same case as the Blackhawk linked above .... i believe its what Patriot uses for his 4P.

i got your back ;)

xigmatek elysium

The biggest problem with running a naked system in an open area is vermin. Mice, spiders, kids, etc, can do a lot of damage.

Believe it or not, I had mice living in a mid-ATX case. They got in through a hole the size of a nickel. Mouse piss will destroy a mobo. They like to hang out in warm areas.

If it will be out in the garage, use delta fans. Great cooling and enough air flow to keep same inserts and children away :D

Well..Id rather not have any of my 4P's bursting into flames. So anything Patriot is using is out of the question...

Next?

$125 with DVD, dual PSU's, etc, etc. Like new.

I've been running a quad 8439 in one for testing. AOK.

My main problem is that I need to be able to fit 4 X cooler master hyper 212's in it. While Id love to use something like that, I think its out of the question. Ive seen people use the 4U's but not sure exactly what it took to fit the CM 212s.

I've had an elysium in my garage for a year now. Duct take some cheap filter material over all the air inlets, change it when it's gets nasty, and the insides stay nice and pretty.

That Blackhawk does require some mods, but it should work with the Tyan and watercooling. One CPU might have issues with big air heatsinks.

While it's stupid big, there is little room to the left of the IO backports, and no holes.

Yes the guy mentioned who makes alum bar cases is Sportswood or close to that. He had very nice stuff. Look him up... then cover the top and sides with plywood or some such. Rig up as many fans as possible and blow into the case... creating a positive pressure.. then any cracks etc will be blowing out not sucking in. Put filters on the intake of the fans... heck you could even rig up an old car intake filter to stop the dust without too much trouble. Then you have a clean cool environment without too much invested.

Just my 2 cents.

The ideal part about it is for this member that he can stack all 4 of them on top of eachother. You can make sidepanels yourself from anything and stick as many fans on there as you wish. And they do have room for CM 212 Hypers.

Thanks guys. Looking into all of these idea's...

Back