[WTB] Asus RT-AC68R - OR - TM-AC1900

kittmaster

Limp Gawd
Looking for this exact router as a 2nd mesh node for the remainder of my project.

Wheels617 sold me his and it works great (again thanks!)

If you have this router, please let me know what you want for it.

PM me or reply here, either works.

Thanks,
Chris

heatware: kittmaster

Last edited:
I'm bumping this as my needs have reemerged as needing at least 1 more of these, but 2 would be ideal (as MESH nodes). ePay has a couple but missing cords etc...would like to get one that has been retired with no issues and 100% via parts/antennas/minimal damage. For those that PM'd me in the past where I didn't buy, if you still have it, please advise if you're still selling. I am looking at the exact RETAIL model because I'm using the stock latest Asus firmware in all of the units I currently have and update them accordingly via Asus. I don't want to mess with custom ROMS etc. etc...

If you still have these models, please respond here or shoot me a PM with price and shipping.

Thank you all.

Are you interested in a tmobile Tm-ac1900?

Not flashed yet..
I'm trying to keep all the nodes the same model. This was my first entrance into MESH and Asus, so far it's been great. I looked on the web, is this basically the same hardware just different branding??

I'm trying to keep all the nodes the same model. This was my first entrance into MESH and Asus, so far it's been great. I looked on the web, is this basically the same hardware just different branding??
Same hardware, different firmware. If you're handy and can flash firmware, it's essentially the same. I recently decommissioned one and was probably going to donate it somewhere.

Same hardware, different firmware. If you're handy and can flash firmware, it's essentially the same. I recently decommissioned one and was probably going to donate it somewhere.
What is involved in converting it? I can flash the firmware on the units I have, are you talking about dismantling it and using JTAG or something to reprogram it? How much are you asking for it? Is there a link I can look at to see if it is something I can convert here? TY.

I have the T-Mobile router as well. It's already been flashed, so when I login to the network management page it looks like a standard ASUS router and you can even easily set it to 'AIMesh' mode or whatever. It would get firmware updates direct from ASUS as well.

I upgraded to a TP-Link 3 pack deco Wifi 6 mesh system so I haven't been using it for a couple months.

I'd let it go for around $40-$45 depending on what shipping costs.

Flashing it was pretty easy, it's been maybe 4 years since I did it though. You don't need to dismantle it or anything. I remember it took me maybe 2 or 3 hours but I ran into an issue that took me a while to debug. I remember my co-worker at the time had the same router and it took him maybe 20 minutes to flash it.

I just flashed an Asus rt-68R to Merlin and it took literally 20 seconds to setup and then 3 minutes (automated) to actually flash the firmware.
Just download the modified firmware, go to the router and "update firmware" with the modified firmware as the source. Super easy.

Highly recommend merlin-wrt btw.

I then set it up as an AImesh with my base Asus RT-5300 without much issue, works amazing now.

Last edited:
We were spared....very little damage and issues with what became a tropical storm over cat 1 hurricane.

Want to send props to Triolent who was gracious and send me a TM-AC1900 version for me to play around with. I was able to convert it without issue and now have another node working 100%.

My thoughts are to acquire two additional TM models since I know how to do it now, that should be enough to cover all 3 floors since I have 1 main router and 2 nodes active.

I will be scrolling my PM's to see what's what, thanks to all thus far.

Chris

Are you using ethernet or wireless backhaul or some combination of the two?

I want to add another node to my aimesh but I know that getting ethernet there would be obnoxious.

Are you using ethernet or wireless backhaul or some combination of the two?

I want to add another node to my aimesh but I know that getting ethernet there would be obnoxious.
All wireless. My house is wired for coax but I have cox communications which runs MOCA on the lines....so I can't use them for any type of ethernet > coax > ethernet bridging.

Overall though..my nodes all reach the peak speeds of what cox's download and upload advertised speed for my package is which is ~180mbps down 15mbps up.

So even though there isn't a dedicated hardwired backhaul, the system still works good IMHO.

Back