WTB Amd Athlon XP parts or computer

jlqrb

[H]ard|Gawd
My son wants to build a computer that can run Windows o8SE. Don't ask why, 10 year olds don't always make sense lol. So what I'm looking for is some old socket A parts or a whole PC. Of course I'm not looking to spend a lot. Let me know what you have.

Parts I still need
AGP graphics card. Old one like GeForce GTS 2 or similar
Floppy drive
Low watt psu

Last edited:
Hi. Would an AIO computer do? The one I have available has a dual core Athlon 2 at 1.6 GHz, 320 GB HDD, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, DVD/CD burner with lightscribe.

If you are interested, let me know. Then I will send you a detailed system report. Then, if you are still interested, you can make me an offer.

Thanks!
Wyo

Hi,

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not sure if 64 bit dual core processors work with pre Windows xp operation systems

Last edited:
An Athlon XP is far too fast for Windows 95.

It has problems running on CPUs faster than 350 MHz, and is known to have the installer crash with a protection error if the CPU is faster than 1 GHz.

You need an old Pentium 2/3 rig for that, or you're going to have to underclock that Athlon a whole bunch to get it under 1000 MHz.

Something like this would be more appropriate and have driver support:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201375507181

You'd still likely have to underclock the CPU, as I don't know how fast the one is in that bundle.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have two thunderbird's here at home you can have for the cost of shipping, as long as you use them.

1ghz and 1.2 iirc

You don't want nforce2 on windows 98/95. There are barely working drivers for 98. KT333 is a nice AXP chipset.

If you're going to run windows 98/95 then get a pentium-III and don't look back. The best chipset for P-III was 440BX.

Find someone with something like this:

Pentium-III 600-800Mhz Slot 1 ~$20 on ebay
Asus P3B-F ~$40 on ebay
3dfx Voodoo 3 ~$25 on ebay
256mb SDRAM ~$5
IDE HDD ~$10

But honestly you should just run 98SE. It's the best of the dos-era windows verisons.

Thanks for all the info guys! I found a board and CPU. I just need memory, an IDE hard drive, power supply and AGP graphics card.

I have some older ram in my thread that might work for you: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1865733

I have a few IDE drives floating around, 80gb up to 500gb I believe, I would have to double check on capacities and make sure they work of course

I think I have a 400-450watt PSU up in my attic, will look later

and I've got a couple/few floppy drives floating around as well

You don't want nforce2 on windows 98/95. There are barely working drivers for 98. KT333 is a nice AXP chipset.

If you're going to run windows 98/95 then get a pentium-III and don't look back. The best chipset for P-III was 440BX.

Find someone with something like this:

Pentium-III 600-800Mhz Slot 1 ~$20 on ebay
Asus P3B-F ~$40 on ebay
3dfx Voodoo 3 ~$25 on ebay
256mb SDRAM ~$5
IDE HDD ~$10

But honestly you should just run 98SE. It's the best of the dos-era windows verisons.

Thanks for all the advice. I got an Athlon XP processor and board before I read it though. Would the CPU I got work with Windows 98SE?

I have done several builds with windows 95 and mega speeds. Best I have done is P4 1.6Ghz and 512mb ram. Took some tweaking. Don't remember what the file is called just yet. But its a patch that you install through dos before windows 95 first run on systems higher than 350Mhz. I will be doing a build like this one very soon. Windows 95 2.1GHZ
I also have a couple old AGP cards for cost of shipping.

Update: Name of the file needed is AMDK6UPD.EXE

I have done several builds with windows 95 and mega speeds. Best I have done is P4 1.6Ghz and 512mb ram. Took some tweaking. Don't remember what the file is called just yet. But its a patch that you install through dos before windows 95 first run on systems higher than 350Mhz. I will be doing a build like this one very soon. Windows 95 2.1GHZ

Thanks. Going to read that post now! If you pm your PayPal and shipping cost I'll send the funds over for the graphics card. Thanks again

shipped Tuesday 8-11-15
usps: 9400109699937800655529

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. I got an Athlon XP processor and board before I read it though. Would the CPU I got work with Windows 98SE?

I currently have a Win98SE box running an Athlon XP at over 2.3Ghz. So yes, it will run it fine.

I just took an old Compaq with a 3200+ Sempron (1800Mhz) and 512mb ram. Used the file and Win95 is blazing right along. Installed with no issues. Even runs the original 100gb hdd just fine.

Back