WTB: AGP to PCIE Adapter

erek

[H]F Junkie
Looking for an AGP to PCIE Adapter to use with an AGP card.

"Change AGP2PCI"

441866GoldSEbench1.jpg

Here's a link to the only one I'm aware of. It has a very specific list of supported cards, but I don't know if that's just to cover the whole low-profile requirement if you're not going without a case. It's a pretty long shot since it's such a niche product and rather old at this point.

I never knew they existed. I don't get out much.

Here's a link to the only one I'm aware of. It has a very specific list of supported cards, but I don't know if that's just to cover the whole low-profile requirement if you're not going without a case. It's a pretty long shot since it's such a niche product and rather old at this point.

sad, card not supported on that list. i have a fx 5800 ultra

sad, card not supported on that list. i have a fx 5800 ultra

That adapter is going to be your best bet, besides getting a motherboard with a real AGP slot.

It doesn't make any sense to hobble an AGP 8x card to PCI bus speeds, you're going from a dedicated 2133 MB/s to a shared bus of 133 MB/s. The card will have crippled performance in pretty much every application, and that's assuming you can even get drivers working for the card and the motherboard.

I have a couple of ISA video cards around including a couple of 8 bit ones about a foot and half long, I think even an EISA one too. Stack like 4 different adapters and rock and roll with some 8 bit CGA video (with a whopping 32 kilobyes of ram) baby!

But yeah..... never even knew anyplace had ever even made a AGP to PCIE adapter. I have a bunch of old agp cards around too. lol

Looking forward to hearing the why too...

my test setup with a Gigabyte AGP board / nForce3 has flaked out, so i don't have a proper test setup

I help out at surplus gizmos. I can check if there's an AGP board in decent shape. It won't be free though but i'll see If I can make it fairly cheap.

WTF ebay, why are some of these boards so expensive?

WTF ebay, why are some of these boards so expensive?

Because we live in a time where "vintage" anything commands a price premium, regardless if it's worthless garbage or not.

Vintage on fire motherboard, yours for only over $9000! ITS A DEAL DO NOT WAIT!

I have a few AGP boards myself that I'd be willing to part with, but they aren't that great. Both are ancient Socket 462 boards with slow CPUs. One is like an Athlon XP 1700+ and the other is a 2800+ IIRC. In either case, they'd hobble an FX5800 Ultra.

Something like this would probably work out and isn't ridiculously expensive:
www.ebay.com/itm/332013865781

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I might have a board + CPU sitting around that I can send you that you wouldn't have to deal with that anymore.

I have a Socket 939 DFI LANParty board with an Opteron 165 that's sitting in my basement. I think it's got 2GB's of OCZ BH-5 ram... (This is taking me back to my early days of [H] OC'ing!!)

Let me know if this would help you from Frankenstein'ing a PCI/AGP/PCIe/ISA clusterf**k of a rig.

Hmm PCIe only nForce4 board :-\ I'd be interested also in that BH-5... just really wish I could find a solid / stable AGP board

yeah, i already spent almost $150 or so for two rare exact same Gigabyte nForce3 Ultra boards that ended up dying now from eBay ...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128263

How did the boards die, did they just stop working?

From the Newegg pictures, it looks like the boards use shitty UCC KZG series capacitors on the CPU power area, which would cause the board to stop working. It's a somewhat easy fix if you have through-hole soldering experience.

How did the boards die, did they just stop working?

From the Newegg pictures, it looks like the boards use shitty UCC KZG series capacitors on the CPU power area, which would cause the board to stop working. It's a somewhat easy fix if you have through-hole soldering experience.

Scroll this thread for the initial mobo with bulging caps: https://hardforum.com/threads/new-collectible-build-fx-5800-ultra.1923880/

Second board is in there too, I believe, but only just now did it fail... i put it away for awhile, but the caps aren't bulging... it's refusing to POST... i stripped it completely down, reseated everything, tried just 1 ram stick, different PSU, everything. tried totally different ram and also cpu to no avail. it powers on, but won't post

Scroll this thread for the initial mobo with bulging caps: https://hardforum.com/threads/new-collectible-build-fx-5800-ultra.1923880/

Second board is in there too, I believe, but only just now did it fail... i put it away for awhile, but the caps aren't bulging... it's refusing to POST... i stripped it completely down, reseated everything, tried just 1 ram stick, different PSU, everything. tried totally different ram and also cpu to no avail. it powers on, but won't post

If you want to ship the board to me, I can recap it for parts cost plus return shipping. It would probably take a week or two.

Reactions: erek
like this
If you want to ship the board to me, I can recap it for parts cost plus return shipping. It would probably take a week or two.

the first or second board? the first one, i lifted a few solder pads out of the cap sockets :( pretty rough

second board is aesthetically perfect... no bulging caps

Do you have a picture of the damage? I might be able to re-route the traces depending on how bad it is.

I can recap whichever board you want, or both of them at the same time. Those garbage caps have a habit of going high ESR or open even if they don't show physical signs of failure.

Do you have a picture of the damage? I might be able to re-route the traces depending on how bad it is.

I can recap whichever board you want, or both of them at the same time. Those garbage caps have a habit of going high ESR or open even if they don't show physical signs of failure.

upload_2017-2-9_0-58-54-png.16527

upload_2017-2-9_0-59-47-png.16528

LOL that certainly is an interesting way to try and get it working again. I can't really see the damage other than it looks like the board got a bit charred in that area, unless I'm just seeing part of the wire connector.

Do you have a picture of the backside of that area? That'll be the problematic part if it's too damaged, but it still looks salvageable as long as it's not further damaged.

like this
LOL that certainly is an interesting way to try and get it working again. I can't really see the damage other than it looks like the board got a bit charred in that area, unless I'm just seeing part of the wire connector.

Do you have a picture of the backside of that area? That'll be the problematic part if it's too damaged, but it still looks salvageable as long as it's not further damaged.

Will need some time (a lot of time) to get around to this, haven't been feeling 100% lately. Thank you, will eventually get back to you

Take your time, health is better than fumbling around with old computer equipment.

like this
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back