[WTB][Adapter] GPIB to USB > Tektronix scope

kittmaster

Limp Gawd
I have an older 2 channel scope and been looking for a GPIB (IEE488) to USB adapter. Even with the old hardware, they seem to be ungodly expensive.

Anyone have something like this they want to unload?

It is for my personal use and try to find someting that works but isn't crazy dollars.

Thanks,
Chris

Can you use the National Instruments ones? We use a billion of these at work and they're a lot cheaper.

I honestly don't know, but it seemed like other posts on EE forums have done it, I just haven't done it personally. I can't see swinging $500 bones one an "old" scope... but I would like to be able to use that interface if I can find a cost-effective used version of anything that would support it.

GPIB are pretty standard so I don’t think the brand matters. I know I’ve used the NI to connect to all my GPIBs using the daisy chain method. I say go with whatever is cheaper. Years ago NI also have GPIB to Ethernet as well. Good luck.

NI GPIB-USB-HS is the model I use at work. It works across a range of instrument brands. I think you can get on on ebay for ~$100

NI GPIB-USB-HS is the model I use at work. It works across a range of instrument brands. I think you can get on on ebay for ~$100

I just picked this up, hopefully arrives fairly soon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275676835907

Thanks all for the feedback and info, I will update on status either way once it get here and then close thread.

Best to all.

Chris

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Item arrived and it looked like it should just plug in...but no....the width of the unit bumps into the bezel of the math module....so the connector doesn't mate properly (almost thought about Dremeling it out...but I'm like...yeah, um no). I bought a wire adapter and that fit correctly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BMWYBH1J?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Win 10 x64 does not recognize the device nor does it update via windows update. No downloadable driver from MS. No biggie.

Comes with a CDROM (thankful, even though it is so 90's) version 18.5 which is multiple versions behind....but I ran the installer and with the default options set on the installer, the driver was eventually installed.

There is no .inf file / driver folder to just install the drivers.... ultimately it is part of the installed suite of apps during decompression. The basic drivers on Google for Win10 x64 don't install correctly and a Code 39 shows up.

So using the CDROM works but installs a lot of shit that I may or my not need.

The programs Wavestar and Openchoice for Tektronix both see the scope and transfer commands and screen captures with ease... So all is good.

A win for sure... thanks to all for info, $100 is more than fair what it is doing and it works.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Glad you got it working. National instruments has bloatware that would make Norton look like a poster child. At least its related to their software and not adware. For future installs, for the module all you need is THIS driver. MANUAL

Am I downloading the 1.2G offline installer, or the online installer? I'd like to just find the drivers and bare minimum software to allow the 2 programs to function and nuke the rest.

I did see that page, but wasn't sure if the 1.2GB download was the way to go.

Offline installer in case you want to have a hard copy of the driver. Online installer is same, but deselect the things you don't want.

hmm, downloaded it and don't see any inf files. Will unzip the cabs to see if they are in there. Thanks for the info. :)

Back