WTB: 5850 compatible blower fan

CGFMaster

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for a good reference design 5850/compatible blower fan.
Mine seems to have developed a bearing rattle and is not easily serviceable. (Might break it in the process of trying to fix it.
Other offers may be considered, but I'm trying to leave buying a new aftermarket heatsink at the end of my list.
If you have any questions or suggestions please let me know. Thanks.

Had the same problem, I was able to reuse an HD4870X2 fan perfectly. The regular HD4870 reference designs MAY work but the HD4850 blowers DO NOT WORK as these are a different size.

Did you try to lube the fan? The rattling may be that the fan is no longer seated properly. Try removing heatsink and pressing down on the fan fairly hard see if it sits. You are going to have to take off the heatsink anyway to replace fan

The usual place to lube a fan is blocked off by a round metal/copper seal. It looks like it's kind of permanent. I haven't gone as far to try and pry it open yet. I may look into 'reseating' the fan then.

Yes, it does rattle even at the automatic 20% fan speed setting. It rhythmically increases as the fan speed increases. Sometimes is sounds as though it's sorted itself out, but that might due to adjusting to the sound.

I still have my bad one and a brand new Zalman aftermarket HD5850 heatsink that I bought before I swapped with the HD4870 X2. If you run out of options I can sell you the aftermarket but I would try to seat it, take it apart, and lube it you have nothing to lose if the bearing is shot.

Back