WTB: 10Gb ethernet adapter

einz

Gawd
Hey all, I'm looking for a 10gb RJ45 NIC (Intel X540, X550, Aquantia AQC107, etc.) to mess around with and see if the wiring in my house can handle it before I dive off the deep end and upgrade all the things. I'm hoping the community has something here instead of me going to eBay. As always, I have heat under einz, can pay via paypal or zelle, and happy to meet up if local to the SF Bay Area. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Hey all, I'm looking for a 10gb RJ45 NIC (Intel X540, X550, Aquantia AQC107, etc.) to mess around with and see if the wiring in my house can handle it before I dive off the deep end and upgrade all the things. I'm hoping the community has something here instead of me going to eBay. As always, I have heat under einz, can pay via paypal or zelle, and happy to meet up if local to the SF Bay Area. Thanks for looking!
https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Supports-Standard-Low-Profile-TEG-10GECTX/dp/B01N5AOWW6

I bought one of these used from amazon, also have a QNAP one, but the trendnet I bought as the used one for about the current price. Think I paid $55. They said it'd be a 2.0 which is a tahini networks, but I actually got the rev 3 which is aquantia. The rev 3 is my current NIC. That was 2 years ago, so I don't imagine they have any 2.0 to offer, I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet you'd get the rev 3.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is the sheathing on the wiring labeled? This is anecdotal, but every box of CAT5e I've purchased says, "CAT5e" on the side amongst some other things. If your house is over a certain age, I doubt it has CAT6 and if it's that new you can probably contact the builder to clarify. If it's older, those might even be leftover phone lines.

Is the sheathing on the wiring labeled? This is anecdotal, but every box of CAT5e I've purchased says, "CAT5e" on the side amongst some other things. If your house is over a certain age, I doubt it has CAT6 and if it's that new you can probably contact the builder to clarify. If it's older, those might even be leftover phone lines.
Thanks for asking the questions I should've... the install is ~8 years old and there's cables labeled "CAT5e" and others labeled "CAT6". I'm hoping and praying the CAT6 stuff is up to task, and they're relatively short runs, so I figured you don't know until you try!

https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Supports-Standard-Low-Profile-TEG-10GECTX/dp/B01N5AOWW6

I bought one of these used from amazon, also have a QNAP one, but the trendnet I bought as the used one for about the current price. Think I paid $55. They said it'd be a 2.0 which is a tahini networks, but I actually got the rev 3 which is aquantia. The rev 3 is my current NIC. That was 2 years ago, so I don't imagine they have any 2.0 to offer, I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet you'd get the rev 3.
Thanks for the heads up, I might give that a go if I don't get any bites from the community here.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I dont have anything available for sale as I use all my 10gig stuff but I do recommend a QNAP Thunderbolt 4 to 10gbit adaptor. I am using that on my Legion Pro laptop and on my desktop an older Intel XFSR pcie 10gig adapter. I only use fiber for my connections in my house with exception of Unifi WAPs.

Thanks for the heads up, I might give that a go if I don't get any bites from the community here.
Keep in mind that the aqc107 is a multigig capable adapter, a lot of the other stuff out there (x540, X520) isn't. So even if your house can't quit push 10, you could likely get 5 in some circumstances, just something to remember

I run mine at 2.5gbe because I had a mix of cat5e and cat 6. Didn’t feel like spending for 10gbe when 2.5gbe is much cheaper.

You've got PM. 10G can run on cat5e sometimes too, especially if the run is shorter (I've seen 55 meters quoted) or if the cabling is better than the spec.

I run mine at 2.5gbe because I had a mix of cat5e and cat 6. Didn’t feel like spending for 10gbe when 2.5gbe is much cheaper.
You can run 10gig on cat5e just fine. I have several 50ft runs in my house doing 10gig over 5e just fine. It's been stable for 5+ years now.

Cat 5E will deliver full speed at 300ft. It can handle higher speeds at a shorter distance. This means it must have been installed properly and with CAT 5E or CAT 6 certified jacks. Every piece must meet the requirements to be fully certified If the cables in your house are all home run, don't take any sharp turns, or run near any AC lines you will very happy. With 30 years of Telcom experience I doubt that any home installation was done by certified installers using certified techniques, but the shorter distances will make up for a LOT of the normal loss.

You can run 10gig on cat5e just fine. I have several 50ft runs in my house doing 10gig over 5e just fine. It's been stable for 5+ years now.
I don’t doubt it can, but the steeper price for 10gbe gear over 2.5gbe wasn’t worth it to me.

Back