WT...I'm getting SICK playing Half-Life 2?

rush24t3

2[H]4U
This is seriously odd...I am getting motion sickness playing HL2. It's never happened in any game before -- after about 30 minutes of play, I felt dizzy and nauseous. I have played through tons of FPS games, but this is the first time I've ever experienced something so palpable as a result. Maybe I am losing my mind, or I'm about to start screaming out "Altobello!" while having a diabetic stroke, but damn!

Torquemada XP said:
This is seriously odd...I am getting motion sickness playing HL2. It's never happened in any game before -- after about 30 minutes of play, I felt dizzy and nauseous. I have played through tons of FPS games, but this is the first time I've ever experienced something so palpable as a result. Maybe I am losing my mind, or I'm about to start screaming out "Altobello!" while having a diabetic stroke, but damn!

lol diabetic stroke?! .. a diabetic seizure is more probable... being a diabetic myself, I sure as hell hope I don't have a diabetic stroke!!

:p

It makes me a bit dizzy as well...I'm not sure why, since I play FPS quite often.

The boat-segments especially...within five minutes I can feel my head starting to swim a bit.

This happened to me with HL1 but not with 2 for some reason...I could only play for 30mins at a time before I felt sick. But when I played CS I was ok...strange :confused:

After the whole boat/hovercraft part in the beginning, I got a major headache.

Lay down, took tylenol, had some soup. Was okay afterwards.

i feel a bit awkward-dizzy during play. I think it is because it is so blissful, its like im playing a normal FPS st0n3d. It actually has gotten that good.

I'm seeing this same dizzy/headache thing posted everywhere I had the same problem. :confused:

Yup me too, getting sick after about 30min like clockwork,
driving me nuts because I wanted to do a marathon session
but I keep having to break for like an hour at a time.

Most amazing game I've played though, GRAVITY GUN rules!

i havent had any problems i jsut dream of the game all the time because it rocks so much... im seriously going to play through the singleplayer game about 4 or 5 times in the next few weeks... it is so dang good then im going to start modelling like mad in 3dsmax to get some sweet props and maps i can make for mods!! I LOVE THIS GAME AND SOURCE!

-warsaw

i as well get a headache. i lose focus and i just want to lay down. i really want to play the game for awhile but i guess i physically cant. i even get nausea. weird crap... it isnt gonna stop me from playing it though. just gonna take a bit longer to beat

LOL, it's too real for you fools.

I'll check HL2 out this weekend. got other things to do.

Same here. I've never had a game do this to me. I can play an hour or so at a time and then I need to do something else.

This has to be some plan of Valve's to screw me out of enjoying their product as long as possible. I'm not sure if I should blame Steam or Gabe's weight.

You can add me to this list as well. I rarely have trouble with the motion sickness feeling when playing games, but after a half hour of the airboat sequence I was in a cold sweat with my stomach in my throat. It seems to help if I back away from the monitor as well as take breaks.

For some odd reason I have had no trouble at all playing CS:Source over the past month. It uses the same engine, and more or less looks the same, so what could the difference be? The airboat levels have been the worst so far, probably because things are moving by you much more quickly than normal.

Strange, I'm near the end of the game and I never once got sick playing it. :D

The boat section had me going nuts. I took some dramamine (happened to have it from a recent amusement park trip ;) ) and I'm running just fine. I'm playing on a 21" monitor, about 2 feet away though.

I'm running a Samsung 213T at 16x12 (native), tried 60 and 70 Hz, no difference. It's not just the boat sequence for me, though...it's virtually every area. Yikes. And I can't get refunded now or sell it, apparently. :eek:

Well, I played the entire game w/o getting physically ill. The only thing that made me sick was the ending, and that is only because it sux.

OMG!! TEH PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANES MUST HAVE PAID VAVLE 6 MILLION DOLLARZ TO MAKE HL2 CAUSE MOTION SICKNESS!! VALVE IS WHORING HL2 OUT TO TEH HIGHEST BIDDER!!

I've noticed that the bot driving sequences are making me feel a little wierd. Strange, as I can spend days on a fishing boat and not feel a thing.

WuTangClam said:
OMG!! TEH PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANES MUST HAVE PAID VAVLE 6 MILLION DOLLARZ TO MAKE HL2 CAUSE MOTION SICKNESS!! VALVE IS WHORING HL2 OUT TO TEH HIGHEST BIDDER!!

d00d i know...call Art Bell!

open your console with ~ , type sv_cheats 1 , type fov 90 and go back to playing

EGGO said:
I never got it, my girlfriend got it though.
same.

you guys might wanna try getting a refresh rate locker. having your refresh rate at 60hz can cause headaches/illness.

You might also want to ensure you're running at the highest refresh rate your monitor can support. Right click HL2 in the games menu, then click "Launch Options" and put -refreshx in there, where x is the refresh rate you want to force. Otherwise it will default to 60 Hz and can exacerbate the motion sickness you all are feeling.

anyone who is sick, feel free to send me your game, that'll solve your problems! :cool:

Maybe the government has implanted subliminal messages into the game. Your mind may be fighting these messages causing you to feel ill.

Yeah i get a bit of motion sickness too and i play all sorts of FPS games regularly.

generally speaking, for those of us with LCD's, the weird nauseus feeling isn't from our refresh rates, as LCD's don't actually have the 'flickering' problem that CRT's do.

I dunno why, but I feel like throwing up after playing the game for 30 minutes. Not only do I play a lot of FPS' and never have felt anything like this from them, but I've been deep sea fishing numerous times and never felt as bad as I did after playing this game for a short period of time... I don't get this feeling from playing CS:Source either... wth?

I experienced this too a little bit after I started playing, but only experienced it once. It was not too bad, but it was definitely something I have never experienced play a game before. I think it might have to do with the pistol moving a bit side to side when you shoot it and not just up.

I've seen this problem posted on various forums and didn't know what to think about it. I've never had a problem with feeling motion sick from playing games. I had no problems until I got to the airboat section and now I feel like I'm going to puke (and I've got a big bowl here on my table just in case). Weird. I hope this doesn't affect me this way later in the game, as this game is too awesome to miss out on. :(

I don't have the motion sickness problem, I have the motion problem...

Lifting my butt off the chair when I'm jumping trying to make it across obstacles

Swinging left and right in my chair dodging helicopters, gunships, soldiers

leaning to one side to help the boat or buggy get around corners

I guess that's what you call "immersion" :)

I don't know if it'll help, but I'm trying this:

cl_bob 0 // was .002
cl_bobcycle 0 // was 0.8
cl_bobup 0 // was 0.5

Update: this really didn't do anything.

Back