WSUS Update Deployment

p0lish

Gawd
I have just installed Windows Server Update Services on the server at my work. I have it configured with group policy, and i have all but 2 computers using the policy. I have used gpupdate /force on both of them, and they still are not using the policy. The computers can access the server/wsusadmin page, however they are not using the policy put in place. Also, i have downloaded all the updates, and set them as Install, however they have yet to install via the update server. Any ideas?

thanks,

-p

So you configured groups in WSUS and you have those two machines added to a group that has the updates approved?

Don't forget to try something as simple as a reboot.

Try stopping the Automatic Updates service and then restarting it.

You can also use the wuauclt.exe /detectnow command to force the PC to look for updates.

So you configured groups in WSUS and you have those two machines added to a group that has the updates approved?

I have the groups configured in WSUS, the two machines do not show up in the WSUS admin page.

I have the groups configured in WSUS, the two machines do not show up in the WSUS admin page.

Sounds like they haven't picked up the group policy yet. Do a registry seach and see if you see the name of your WSUS server in there for it's windows update server.

Sounds like they haven't picked up the group policy yet. Do a registry seach and see if you see the name of your WSUS server in there for it's windows update server.

Or just run RSOP.MSC from the command line and look under Computer configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Update

Or just run RSOP.MSC from the command line and look under Computer configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Update

Yup, you'll need to have the AD tools pack installed on the PC to do this, but it definitely is easier.

run gpresult you probably havent linked the gpo to the computers ou with the 2 computers in it

okay, on the dell computer, the computer is not using the group policy. it seems like it's just using it's local policy. i have creates a WSUS policy that overrides the defualt policy, however it only loads the default policy, and it says its getting it from the domain controller.

here's what i got from gpresult.

COMPUTER SETTINGS
------------------
CN=Kristy,CN=Computers,DC=dis,DC=network,DC=com
Last time Group Policy was applied: 2/25/2008 at 4:33:39 PM
Group Policy was applied from: server2003.dis.network.com
Group Policy slow link threshold: 500 kbps

Applied Group Policy Objects
-----------------------------
Default Domain Policy

The following GPOs were not applied because they were filtered out
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Local Group Policy
Filtering: Not Applied (Empty)

USER SETTINGS
--------------
CN=Kristy Tracy,CN=Users,DC=dis,DC=network,DC=com
Last time Group Policy was applied: 2/25/2008 at 4:33:39 PM
Group Policy was applied from: server2003.dis.network.com
Group Policy slow link threshold: 500 kbps

Applied Group Policy Objects
-----------------------------
Default Domain Policy

The following GPOs were not applied because they were filtered out
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Local Group Policy
Filtering: Not Applied (Empty)

Where did you apply the group policy at the top of the domain or on an individual OU with the PCs in it? Do you have any filtering or permissions on the policy?

make sure those two pc's have the wsus server listed as one of their dns servers

Not sure why you would have to do this. The WSUS server should be listed in DNS, as in a A record, but there's no reason to have it in their DNS server list unless it's a DNS server and you're using it for name resolution.

doesnt look like the gpo is applying, are you using gpmc? what is the gpo called that you created, click and drag to link it to the ou with the computers you have in it.

you have to change the windows update setting in the gpo to point to the sus server.

dns entry nto needed.

run gpupdate /force

reboot the machine just incase also

Back