WS2012 Fileshare copy craziness

-Dragon-

2[H]4U
Maybe I'm late to the party but I don't think I've read about this feature in WS2012 anywhere yet...

Copying files from one remote share to another remote share on the same remote computer causes the transfer to happen locally on the remote server, meaning instead of how W7/WS2008R2 does things where it sends the data to the computer you're working on then back to the same server, and copies are throttled at network speeds, WS2012 has zero network traffic as long as the source and destination servers are the same and the copy happens at local speeds. I saw 150-200MB/s copy speeds for a remote copy from one HDD to another with 0 network traffic on the local machine.

Copying files from one remote share to another on a different server can use multiple network connections. I copied a VHD from one remote VM host to another, and observed 400-700Mbps traffic across both of the network adapters that I had exposed to the local VM host, giving 120-130MB/s copy speed instead of the single link limit I normally see of 110-115MB/s. One of the links was a team, tried both LACP and switch independant and speeds and utilization didn't change for either, 400-600Mbps send and receive, though looking at switch statistics shows one of the links sending far more than receiving and the other vice versa.

To bad they fucking wrecked the UI with Metro.

We all know that companies have touchscreen servers.

Back