WRT54GS wont accept firmware upgrade

Whitebread

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got a WRT54GS that will not allow me to upgrade the Linksys Firmware to the latest Tomato release. I continue to get this absolutely hilarious error:

Linksys.jpg

Sorry for the crappy resize.

Anyway. Is there anything I can do to force the firmware upgrade? As it is now, the router is not functioning. It drops wireless connections randomly and I have a hard time getting pages to load because they just time out. I was hoping that Tomato would fix that tissue so I wouldn't have to purchase a new router.

It appears that your version of the WRT router will not support 3rd party firmware. Look at the bottom of the router and look for the specific version you have. Reference that with their site of compatible devices.

You are correct. Tomato is not compatible with my version of the WRT54GS. I'll give that dd-wrt firmware a try.

If Tomato no work, neither will DD-WRT. You need to find a compatible router. I would suggest selling the one you have and buying a different version #.

The version of dd-wrt linked to specifically says the version I have is compatible. But I can't seem to find the version spoken of in the tutorial.

Compared to DD-WRT micro or Tomato? The only third party firmware that can be used on my version of the WRT54GS is DD-WRT micro. I flashed my parents Linksys with Tomato. For their purposes, I don't care what its got so long as its stable. And for me, I just wanted to save money and keep the router I have. So far, so good.

I have one of the original WRT54G v2 that natively ran Linux. This was before Linksys / Cisco got lazy with having to comply with GNU license and switched after version 4.

I am running Firmware Version DD-WRT v24 (05/24/08) mini - build 9526 on mine and my mom is running Tomato on her WRT54G v1.1.

Eh, I see no need to do any other flashing. My number one goal with this was to gain some stability without getting a new router. With the old firmware, it was dropping connections, causing pages to time out and contributing to rediculous ping times. Only time will tell if this is stable now but it seems good so far. I haven't really played around with dd-WRT or Tomato yet but I doubt I'll ever use any of the advanced features they offer. I don't forsee any other machines on my LAN besides my desktop, laptop, maybe a NAS and possibly a VOIP phone(and thats a far off posibility). Maybe then I'll have to give priority to certain packets but thats not that difficult or complicated.

Back