WRT54GL + DIR-655 together possible?

Luda

[H]ard|Gawd
Because my WRT54GL doesn't quite give the kind of range I'm in need of at the moment, I wanted to get a D-Link DIR-655. However, I still need my WRT54GL to be connected so I can do the DSL PPPoE authentication with it.

I need it set up this way

DSL Modem -> WRT54GL w/ Tomato firmware, wireless radio disabled, and doing PPPoE authentication -> DIR-655 running every other router function

Is this possible? How do I go about doing this?

You just plug a cable from the WRT's LAN ports into one of the D-Link's LAN ports (not the WAN port), disable DHCP etc on the D-Link and you should be good to go. Google for using routers as AP's, eg. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233 if you need more specifics

Thanks! I had a basic idea that it could be done but I wasn't sure which router would be able to perform which functions.

Does this complicate certain things such as port forwarding at all?

Not really, the WRT will still handle the information. the DIR-655 will just be a dumb wireless AP with a gigabit switch built in.

I've been running this setup for a little bit and it seems to be working fine.

Am I right in assuming that since the DIR-655 is acting as just a wireless AP then none of it's functions like QoS are working then? All it's doing is providing the wireless signal right?

I also noticed that if I hardwire into the DIR-655 instead of the WRT54GL, I still get the same local IP I did with the WRT54GL but I also retain the same connection speed. It's as if I don't get the gigabit connection this way. This isn't really a big deal though. I'm just trying to understand how it's all working.

Thanks again

I've been running this setup for a little bit and it seems to be working fine.

Am I right in assuming that since the DIR-655 is acting as just a wireless AP then none of it's functions like QoS are working then? All it's doing is providing the wireless signal right?

I also noticed that if I hardwire into the DIR-655 instead of the WRT54GL, I still get the same local IP I did with the WRT54GL but I also retain the same connection speed. It's as if I don't get the gigabit connection this way. This isn't really a big deal though. I'm just trying to understand how it's all working.

Thanks again

yup, pretty much. QoS is generally done through the NAT device, which in this case is still the Linksys. Because DHCP is disabled on the DLink, you are still receiving an IP via the Linksys. The DLink does nothing more than provide the wireless signal.

as for connection speed displaying the same wether you're plugged into the DLink or Linksys, dunno? unless, of course, you're NIC is only a 10/100 :p

Thanks for the explanation.

My NIC is definitely gigabit capable. Its the onboard realtek on a Gigabyte DS3L. I suppose it could just be XP not displaying it properly but I'll give it some time and see.

Back