WRT54G vs. 3rd party firmware...

WoodiE

Limp Gawd
I currently have the Linksys WRT54G wireless router with the latest firmware available from Linksys. However I've noticed that there are one or two companies that also make firmware for the Linksys router (ie. Sveasoft Satori v4.0).

My question is would my network be any more secure by going with a 3rd party firmware versus the firmware Linksys puts out?

Thanks,

-Michael

I would not trust 3rd party firmware, regardless of company / product involved, to be more secure than the original unless there is independent trustworthy verification of it.

In a nutshell, Linksys has better access to the way the hardware really works, so I'd be very hard pressed to assume someone else's is safer.

The 3rd party firmware wouldn't necessairly make your wireless network more secure, but it does add some usefull features.

Right now, I'm running 2 WRT54G's in my house with the Satori v4.0. Using the hacked firmware, I am able to up the power going to the antena's and setup the 2nd WRT54G so that it functions as a repeater for the for the primary WRT54G. Without having the repeater, I'm not able to get much of a wireless signal in my basement.

Back