Wrt54g V2.0

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by sdilley14, Sep 7, 2005.

1. sdilley14

sdilley14 Gawd

I'm having some issues with the WRT54g. I'm pretty unfamiliar with this router, just got it the other night. Anyways, I've flashed it and downloaded the updated firmware for it. So the problem . . . I'm able to ping the router and get a response when I am wired to the router, but I can't ping myself or any of the other 2 computers wired to the router in my house. Also, our laptop is picking up the wireless signal from the router, but it is unable to actually connect to the net. Same thing, the computers that are wired to the router are unable to connect to the internet, although it shows us as having an active, strong network connection. So from what I can tell, we are getting a wireless and wired connection, but for whatever reason we can't actually connect to a network or ping each other? I've checked the subnet mask and all of that fun ipconfig stuff and everything matches up. Any ideas?

2. Menelmarar

Menelmarar [H]ardness Supreme

Who is your ISP? What modem do you have?

3. sdilley14

sdilley14 Gawd

Charter Communications is our ISP. I'm not real sure which modem we have, I'm at school right now. I suppose I should have tried resetting or flashing the modem, or turning the modem off, hooking up the router, then turning the modem back on. Not sure why I didn't think of that last night. Any other suggestions?

4. Menelmarar

Menelmarar [H]ardness Supreme

not really, not very familiar with charter....

You do have you cable modem plugged into the rouers WAN port right?

Second, is the routers WAN port set to pull its addresses and info via Automatically via DHCP? (I'm not even sure this is the correct way for your ISP but I would think so, only experience is Bellsouth and Comcast)

Third, do you have DHCP services turned on for the internal network, behind the NAT/firewall/router.

Fourth, if you had to run a setup procedure to activate the modem, either via the modem's internal web page (if it has one) or using an application your ISP provided it might be tieing your ability to pull DHCP info to a specific MAC address. Try cloning the MAC address of the PC you setup your connection on to the rouers WAN interface. The Linksys has a Clone MAC address page in its configuration stuff somewhere, if you connect to the router's config pages using the computer that you originally setup the connection with the router may be able to pull the MAC address from you with the simple push of a button...if not goto command prompt and type "ipconfig /all"

5. sdilley14

sdilley14 Gawd

I'll give that stuff a try. Thanks!