WRT54G to WNDR3700?

freakyhair

Limp Gawd
I am in a pickle of sorts. My friend wants to buy a wireless router, and I have been considering a new one. She just needs a basic wireless router, and I would like a faster, more capable one.

I currently have a Linksys WRT54G, and have been happy with it, but would like more speed for transfers. I currently have two laptops, a desktop, a wii, and two wireless network printers. I will soon be adding a WHS, and an HTPC. I would upgrade, but am worried that the 'N' isn't quite settled/early adoption, etc.

Should I sell her my WRT54G (for $25), and buy the WNDR3700? Or should I keep the Linksys, and just have her buy a cheap new router?

Thanks!

That's kinda a no-brainer, sell her yours for a low price and get that WNDR3700 for your internetz :D

That's kinda a no-brainer,

Unfortunately, I might be classified as a no-brainer :)

I think I'm leaning strongly in that way, I just wanted to be sure about the new router. But I just saw at Fry's, it's ~$125, so I think I'll just go pick it up.

If anyone can think of a good reason for me not to, let me know! Thanks.

If anyone can think of a good reason for me not to, let me know! Thanks.

I don't know..it's been like...THE BEST store bought consumer grade router for about a year now. Over 500 megs of throughput. Excellent wireless performance.

I went from a WRT54G with DDWRT to a WNDR3700 and i have not looked back. the WNDR3700 is an awesome router.

I went from a WRT54G with DDWRT to a WNDR3700 and i have not looked back. the WNDR3700 is an awesome router.

Same here.

WRT54G works well, but it's a cheap home-grade router.
The WNDR3700 is designred for the enthusiast... Very fast, and very stable. I've had no problems with mine.

Considering it's one of the few concurrent G/N routers, it's great. Also, there's guest networks if you want them. So all said, this router can throw up four different wireless networks at the same time.

So I just went out and picked up the WNDR3700, and I can already tell the difference. Too bad I forgot to take before and after speeds, but it even seems faster on my wired desktop connection.

Unfortunately, the $125 price at Frys was a one day thing, so $150 is a bit high, but it's still a great router. I'll be spending quite a bit of time playing around with settings in the next few days. Thanks for the advice!

Just a word of caution with this router since another poster mentioned DD-WRT: Don't install DD-WRT firmware on the WNDR3700. The current releases will cripple your wireless range, and flashing back to Netgear's stock firmware won't fix it. Apparently DD-WRT overwrites the driver for the wireless radios with an older version that is only partly compatible. Reflashing the Netgear firmware does not update the driver.

I'm sure they'll sort this out in a future release, but for now I wouldn't do it unless you don't care about the wireless range.

@freakyhair,

I know when i went from my WRT-54g to the WNDR3700, i easily got about 10Mbps extra out of my connection, i was paying for 15/768, and on a good day was only seeing around 9 with the WRT-54G, after i upgraded i was getting full speed and the Turbo Boost i was not seeing before.

Back