WRT54G Router

Youssef

Weaksauce
I have a Linksys WRT54G v2 broadband router and my laptop is connected to it wirelessly, all seems to be fine except one thing. MSN Messenger, WIndows Update, microsoft.com, etc.. anything on Microsoft servers does not work. How do I fix this?

tracert works fine, but pinging times out

pinging microSFt.com works ?? :confused:

if you bought the router used the previous microsoft hater could placed microsoft.com/msn.com domain on the router's blocked list. check it to make sure.

i forgot to mention that if the laptop is connected to router with a network cable, there are no problems.. that problem is only there when it's connected wirelessly

this is odd...because i have a Netgear WG311 router and experience the exact same problems...

and i bought the router new, and i know mircosoft isn't blocked...:confused:

Carnival Forces said:
this is odd...because i have a Netgear WG311 router and experience the exact same problems...

and i bought the router new, and i know mircosoft isn't blocked...:confused:

Damn.. you haven't found a solution to that yet? how long have you had the router? i mean it's no fun having wireless internet connection if you can't check your mail from your back yard...

It sounds like a vrius. I have seen this happen before with search sites. Check out your "hosts" file and "lmhosts" file for garbage. Also www.microsoft.com should resolve to 207.46.244.188. If it doesn't then try the IP.

Doc Holiday said:
It sounds like a vrius. I have seen this happen before with search sites. Check out your "hosts" file and "lmhosts" file for garbage. Also www.microsoft.com should resolve to 207.46.244.188. If it doesn't then try the IP.
this is odd...where should my Hosts file be?

for me it's in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

i thought it was always supposed to be in C:\Windows ???

additionally, when i ping www.microsoft.com it resolves to

when i ping 207.46.244.188 it still times out :(

the Hosts file is fine (so far as its contents are concerned) it's at it's default:
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

the lmhosts file seems fine, but idk what it is/what it's used for/what it should be like.
every line in it is commented (#) so i'm assuming it's not doing anything...

i've had this router for ~6 months (i think)

The timeout for a ping to microsoft is normal. They block ping requests.

I still think that it's something FUBARed with your system. Something somewhere in your computer is blocking the request. I highly doubt it's your router.

just for shits, try these two things in the command prompt

ipconfig /flushdns
then
ipconfig /registerdns

if that doesnt work

netsh int ip reset logfile.txt
change logfile to whatever you want the log named, that will reset the tcp ip stacks under xp, give er a shot and see if that doesnt help, ive done this on a few customers having similar problems and it seems to have helped

nope, it's the router, cuz i've tried it on 3 different laptops with 3 different wireless G cards

since you said it was a wrt54g, there is something you might try, dunno if your comfortable with this or not, but there is a hacked 54g firmware, boosts output amongst other things, and its quite stable, running it myself @ my home... http://h.vu.wifi-box.net/wrt54g/

the firmware works quite well, and might be worth a try, that should wipe out any previous locked out ports/dns/etc

wow ... awesome.. ok what the hell is MTU and how do i change it?! and on which computer do i change it? the laptop that doesn't load microsoft pages, or the PC from which the internet connection is routed?

MTU is Multiple Transmission Unit. In other words, the size of the packet that is sent via the TCP/IP protocol across the internet. You change in main setup menu of the WRT54G not on the computer itself.

I changed it like omega-x said, it still didn't work. You don't think I need to change it from the registry rather than from the firmware since the router is really only being used as a switch (since the modem is a USB one hooked up on the PC, and not a an ethernet one hooked up to the router) and therefore the firmware is completely useless and has no effect on my set up?

SomeFknGuy said:
just for shits, try these two things in the command prompt

ipconfig /flushdns
then
ipconfig /registerdns

if that doesnt work

netsh int ip reset logfile.txt
change logfile to whatever you want the log named, that will reset the tcp ip stacks under xp, give er a shot and see if that doesnt help, ive done this on a few customers having similar problems and it seems to have helped
interestingly enough, i can't flush the dns!
/registerdns works, but i don't see that it really does anything

...i'll try resetting the tcp/ip stacks tonight. thanks all.

i tried setting the MTU to 1492 and resetting the tcp/ip stacks

i still can't flush the dns cache (i actually think i disabled the dns cache...so this may just be my personal anomoly)

it helped some, but i still get dropped from the router...this is annoying...help? :(

Fark_Maniac said:
have you tried calling their useless tech support in india?
that was the wrong thing to say. let's take a step back in time.
JSClark said:
I am not going to get into this debate once again, as we all are entitled to our own opinions, but Outsourcing IS stealing our jobs. IT IS stealing America's jobs. IT IS the reason why our unemployment rate has been at its peak (which is coming down). I do see some jobs opening back up in the US, but why is it right for other countries to get jobs that we americans should do, for our people? And then, when we can't get the tech jobs that we yearn for, we're then forced to work McJobs, and even those are being taken as well. I'm not in any way condoning racism in this matter, what I am saying is, if other countries want to flourish the way us americans do, they can either a: get out of their country and come to ours, legally of course, or b: find some way of advancing their own technology. How did us humans evolve into what we now know today?

It's ownage time.

let's start with little parts of what you said

little part number 1.

JSClark said:
Outsourcing IS stealing our jobs. IT IS stealing America's jobs. IT IS the reason why our employment rate has been at its peak (which is coming down).

1]No it's not. Stealing would mean the jobs existed, for to steal something there has to be something to steal. Outsourcing jobs never EXISTED in the US, so they can't be stolen from it. These jobs were CREATED overseas, therefore, they weren't stolen.
2]America's jobs..hmm...i suppose those would be created by, oh, i don't know, American companies, eh? Oh hold up!! Hang on!! It's the American companies who are giving these American jobs to those damn non-Americans! Axes! Halbreds! Pitchforks and Torches! (</satire>)
3]Ethnocentrism 101: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ethnocentrism
eth·no·cen·trism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (thn-sntrzm)
n.
Belief in the superiority of one's own ethnic group.
Overriding concern with race.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ethno·centric (-trk) adj.
ethno·centri·cal·ly adv.
ethno·cen·trici·ty (-sn-trs-t) n.

[Download or Buy Now]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

eth·no·cen·trism (thn-sntrzm)
n.

The tendency to evaluate other groups according to the values and standards of one's own ethnic group, especially with the

conviction that one's own ethnic group is superior to the other groups.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ethno·centric (-trk) adj.
ethno·cen·trici·ty (-sn-trs-t) n.

Source: The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.

ethnocentrism

n : belief in the superiority of one's own ethnic group

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

sub-points:

A)
The tendency to evaluate other groups according to the values and standards of one's own ethnic group, especially with the conviction that one's own ethnic group is superior to the other groups.
You claim that it's "our jobs" or "American jobs" that are stolen. You're qualifying the jobs as being uniquely American, as opposed to just jobs. These aren't just ANY run-of-the-mill jobs, Sir! These ones here, are American jobs. Why is it so important that Americans get clothed, fed, cared for, and have decent work above other nationalities / ethnicities?

B)
Belief in the superiority of one's own ethnic group.
Overriding concern with race.
Once again, you make claims of "American" or "our" jobs, as opposed to jobs in general. Why are you so uptight about AMERICAN jobs? Don't you care about, let's say, the Mexican sugar-cane farmers who have nearly been put out of business? In a striking protectionist policy (the ones you seem to favor) the US has pushed "High-fructose corn syrup" on its Kansas farmers (for example). That's why every time you pick up something sweet you'll see among its top ingredients "High-fructose corn syrup". Needless to say, this has sent the base of Mexico's already fragile economy into (another) tailspin. But it's okay, right? Who cares if thousands of Mexican children sink into the jaws of poverty -- YOU'VE GOT AIR CONDITIONING thanks to your shiny new AMERICAN job, and THAT'S WHAT MATTERS.
3]Unemployment is being solved DESPITE massive trends UPWARD in outsourcing:
http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xht...g-Here-To-Stay&story_id=24081&category=trends
Since the first report surfaced, along with similar estimates by other consulting firms, the business environment has changed in the United States. The economy has begun to climb out of the onerous recession of the last three and a half years. Also, unemployment appears to trending down following its sharp -- indeed, near unprecedented -- increase during the same time period. In short, outsourcing is unlikely to be the hot political button it was even six months ago.

Ironically, Forrester notes that the outcry prompted in part by its statistics led to a greater awareness of the efficiencies to be gained from outsourcing. "Instead of squelching activity, the increased press and savings have spurred senior executives to ask, 'What is our offshore strategy?'" the report says.
4]You said it yourself. Unemployment is being solved, even though outsourcing exists!
JSClark said:
our employment rate has

been at its peak (which is coming down)

little part number 2.

JSClark said:
why is it right for other countries to get jobs that we americans should do, for our people?
1]SEE: Ethnocentrism 101
once again you claim that Americans are somehow intrinsically better than other races, i mean, COME ON. Why the hell should some damn INDIANS get jobs to feed their starving country when there's an American without CABLE T.V!?!!?
2]EXTEND my #5:
Carnival Forces said:
5]You take a unilateral approach to trade, which is reallly bad. A multilateral (inclusive of other countries) approach, would generate 2.8 TRILLION dollars in the World Economy; 1.4 trillion of which developing countries will get, and it would also reduce the global poverty of over 320 MILLION people. Developed nations, such as the Western-European nations and America, for instance, would stand to benefit as well:
http://www.ipsnews.net/fsm2003/26.01.2003/nota6.shtml
(written by the PRESIDENT of the WTO, so it's qualified )
you haven't answered it. you drop it. you concede it.

little part number 3.

JSClark said:
if other countries want to flourish the way us americans do, they can either a: get out of their country and come to ours, legally of course, or b: find some way of advancing their own technology.
1]Oh yes, "us" Americans sure is flourishing! We even speak the English better then them thur British boys!
2]
JSClark said:
they can...get out of their country and come to ours, legally of course
b/c that's so easy, right? WRONG.
To become a US citizen you must first immigrate and then become naturalized. To ONLY PROCESS the immigration application can take over TEN YEARS: http://www.vidaamericana.com/english/visa.html
3]Now for naturalization. Just getting the APPLICATION processed can take LONGER than 2 YEARS. Then you (if you make it, that is) have to wait in this country for FIVE years before you're naturalized.
4]So that's a total of 17 years. Now, you can only begin when you're 18 years old. So you would be thirty-five years old, and only THEN be a citizen.
http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/faq.htm#q13
5]
JSClark said:
find some way of advancing their own technology
sub-points:
A)Ethnocentrism SEE: Ethnocentrism 101
B)Have you ever used Java, buddy boy? Or Linux? Or IRC? Or mIRC?... or ..Google? All of these were made by FOREIGNERS (google was made by a Russian who (I think) is a naturalzied American citizen as well, and also an American). That's right. Guess what, they're integral parts of "our(US)" technology.
C)THE BIG ONE: Howaobut the Internet? That couldn't function if it was just the US. It would be instantly devalued. Also, many many advancements to "our(US)" technology have come from foreigners..the Internet wasn't advanced all by the US...
5]To make a claim that they need to "advanc[e] their own technology[/QUOTE] is blatantly unilateral; cross-apply my number 5 by the president of the WTO.

little part number 4.

JSClark said:
How did us humans evolve into what we now know today?
1]Obviously Americans haven't evolved that far since you still can't speak English correctly.
2]Believe it or not, it wasn't the Americans who pioneered the way for humane evolution; long before your country was
FOUNDED, India was a giant. As was China. And Britain. And a myriad of others.
3]America's only ~200 years old. While it has undeniably had major impacts on the world, not all of them have been good.

Why don't we look at:
sub-poitns:
A)Ethnocentrism SEE: Ethnocentrism 101
B)Ignored Rwanda and paved the way for future genocides in 1994
C)Backed out of the League of Nations it founded, thereby undermining the peace process and multilateral approach, leading to World War II.
D)Has tacitly allowed for genocide to become acceptable by non-action in Somalia and Sudan.
E)Legitimized the use of Nuclear weapons as an acceptable means of warfare (Hiroshima and Nagasaki) thus leading to a world-wide embracement of nuclearism, and therefore, the North Korean Nuclear Crisis (and soon to see the sequal: "Irked Iranis!")
there are many many more, but those are ones just off the top of my head.

my own little part: Why ethnocentrism is bad.

1]Slave-holders were ethnocentric to the degree of dehumanizing the blacks. This dehumanization allowed for slavery to take place. Therefore, an act of support to ethnocentrism is another action closer towards slavery.
2]The Nazis were ethnocentric. They believed in the superiority of the Aryan (they even got that wrong :rolleyes:) race above (particularly, but not only) the Jewish race. Look what happened, heard of the Holocaust?
3]Ethnocentrism is the driving force behind such genocidal conflicts as Rwanda (1994) in which 800,000 people died in only 100 days at a rate that was roughly five times faster than the Nazi death-machine.
4]Ethnocentrism has proven a substantial block to multi-national nations such as the United Nations, thereby blocking efforts to stop genocidal conflicts, civil strife, and human-rights violations (once again, empircal example=Rwanda).
5]Ethnocentrism is just, plain, morally indefensible. It's as bad as bad gets, to the core. Without a doubt, it is one of the scourges facing our entire race today. Unfortunately, people like you (either consciously or unconsciously) adopt this mindset, which allows for it to continue to propogate, like a festering wound in the body of our humankind.

Carnival Forces said:
that was the wrong thing to say. let's take a step back in time.
I dont' believe it was wrong at all. Let's take a step back indeed. I've dealt with their tech support for weeks, and while they tried in their own way...couldn't get my problem fixed. I fixed it by selling off their crap that didn't work and finding products that did. Also, there was a language barrier...I had to repeat myself many many times, each time a bit differently to make it clearer They even made blatently air-headed statements.

So since they could not have two of their products to talk to each other..as advertised and refused to give an RMA and telling me I'm SOL...they are useless. They are in fact based out of India. That was my step back in time. they have useless indian tech support.

now even though belkin may have inferior products as far as features are concerned, their support is american based and probelms are resolved damned quick.

Fark_Maniac said:
I dont' believe it was wrong at all. Let's take a step back indeed. I've dealt with their tech support for weeks, and while they tried in their own way...couldn't get my problem fixed. I fixed it by selling off their crap that didn't work and finding products that did. Also, there was a language barrier...I had to repeat myself many many times, each time a bit differently to make it clearer They even made blatently air-headed statements.

So since they could not have two of their products to talk to each other..as advertised and refused to give an RMA and telling me I'm SOL...they are useless. They are in fact based out of India. That was my step back in time. they have useless indian tech support.

now even though belkin may have inferior products as far as features are concerned, their support is american based and probelms are resolved damned quick.
it's fine if you're saying your particular experience went badly, nothing wrong there at all.
however (and i'm not saying you said this) to make a generalization i.e. "all Indian tech support sucks" or like "all Americans are stupid" would be wrong. sorry about it not working out for you.
do you have any experience w/ Netgear though? that's the company that makes my router and i really have no idea what else to do now...

I was going to see if I could help with this, having 4+ routers of the same type in use at home and work...but after seeing the naive little world Carnival painted with his attempt at a dissertation (that is rife with lunacy and misinterpretations), I think I'll pass. GL, and maybe take a step back, and re-read everything you said from a more critical eye, attack yourself as others would attack everything you said, and the holes might start gaping back at you like some sudden revelation in those stare-o-matic paintings that were popular in the early 90's.

Carnival Forces said:
it's fine if you're saying your particular experience went badly, nothing wrong there at all.
however (and i'm not saying you said this) to make a generalization i.e. "all Indian tech support sucks" or like "all Americans are stupid" would be wrong. sorry about it not working out for you.
do you have any experience w/ Netgear though? that's the company that makes my router and i really have no idea what else to do now...
why yes I have had experience with Netgear's tech support. Equally as useless...and they flat out lied to me to get me off the phone. It is all driver based with my Netgear wg311v2 and SP2. My wg311v1 works beautifully. both machines they are in are side-by-side...though the v2 card will not hold a steady established connection.
I have no idea how many times I went round and round the questions with the indian Netgear guy. He just wasn't getting what I was saying...no matter how many times I tried explaining. It was like hitting my head against a brick wall...only less fun.

Fark_Maniac said:
why yes I have had experience with Netgear's tech support. Equally as useless...and they flat out lied to me to get me off the phone. It is all driver based with my Netgear wg311v2 and SP2. My wg311v1 works beautifully. both machines they are in are side-by-side...though the v2 card will not hold a steady established connection.
I have no idea how many times I went round and round the questions with the indian Netgear guy. He just wasn't getting what I was saying...no matter how many times I tried explaining. It was like hitting my head against a brick wall...only less fun.
lol wow, that really sucks.... i have the WG311v1 though..so i don't know if i need a range booster or what? (i've updated all the drivers both for NICs and the router itself)....

i guess i'll try buying some range-boosting antenna. thanks.

Back