wrt54g range

Rakinos

[H]ard|Gawd
I plan on purchasing two wrt54g's and flashing them with different firmware to increase the power levels for longer range. If i was to bridge two with some generic omni's off of ebay, what type of range should i expect? For the most part it would be line of site, with a few obstacles. Unidirectional antennas are not an option.

Rakinos said:
I plan on purchasing two wrt54g's and flashing them with different firmware to increase the power levels for longer range. If i was to bridge two with some generic omni's off of ebay, what type of range should i expect? For the most part it would be line of site, with a few obstacles. Unidirectional antennas are not an option.

Hmmm... I doubt you can double their THEORETICAL values... which are 300ft outdoors and 100 feet indoors. So, maybe 450 feet? It's just a guess.........

You can buy a 3 dBi omni. You can buy a 15 dBi omni.

"For the most part it would be line of site"

All bets are off without a clear line of sight. Might work, might not.

You can't expect even a rough guess with the information you've provided thus far.

car->car connection while moving?

it'll work as long as the cars are in fairly close formation. (50-90 feet)

power boost maybe up to 150 feet.

but why bother? :-p

i would be using new firmware to increase the power output from about 20mw to 84mw. Each car would have an xbox and the idea is to connect the two.

As long as you have line of site you could be talking miles with a high enough gain omni on each end AND a SHORT pigtail from antenna to bridge. Again though, once you throw in a house, a car, or whatever in the path, then you'll just have to see for yourself. Not being ugly there but nobody here or otherwise can tell you what to expect with variables involved like obstructions. You'll just have to check it out and see. I'd go as high gain on the radiators as you can. 9-11 dBi omnis should greatly enhance your range, specifically with line of site. You want to mount your onmi's above roofline and out of the car obviously. You could have it mounted inside as well. Glass is not a significant deterrent for 2.4 Ghz signal propagation but then you have heads and headrests in the way etc, not to mention metal and/or fiberglass under certain conditions.

The short answer is test it and see however I've had bridges with nothing more than two 11 dBi omni's associate at close to 3 miles. The disclaimer here is that the parent was pretty high up on a hill and had good line of sight, including fresnel zone clearance, to the child bridge below.

Back