WRT54G problems

antok86

[H]F Junkie
i have a wrt54g v8 latest firmware and its nothing but problems first it wont load all webpages it just loads whatever it wants and randomly this is on all 5 computers in my house including mac. then i have DHCP to start ip at 192.168.0.30 but when i go to check the computers they are assigned started at 192.168.0.6 im think its because the router ip is 192.168.0.5 but i have it to start at XXX.30 i dont want to use 3rd party firmware again since i already bricked one router.....im about to return this and get a dlink i didnt have anyproblems with my old dlink before it broke

i have a wrt54g v8 latest firmware and its nothing but problems first it wont load all webpages it just loads whatever it wants and randomly this is on all 5 computers in my house including mac. then i have DHCP to start ip at 192.168.0.30 but when i go to check the computers they are assigned started at 192.168.0.6 im think its because the router ip is 192.168.0.5 but i have it to start at XXX.30 i dont want to use 3rd party firmware again since i already bricked one router.....im about to return this and get a dlink i didnt have anyproblems with my old dlink before it broke

You updated firmware before setting up router at all ? i

cable plugged into the right port... right :p no uplink button depressed etc.. plugged in :p

reset the router first off. follow its reset instructions

Step1:
plug cable modem directly into 1 computer. try to open a page. make sure the cable modem is sending DHCP and not giving one of those SETUP webpage interfaces. (much cursing when swapping internet providers now saying their modem has a inital setup/recovery interface....... my firewall is openbsd, local terminal only....and hard to get to.. but that was a problem)

step2: (that computer sees the internet, gets ip, can use web
connect a computer to router, (dont bother plugging it into internet yet)

step3:
First box should read: Automatic DHCP, if your dsl then its PPPOE

step4: Set Device ip/subnet
192.168.0.2 <---- i use 2 because some companies modems try to be .1 ....
subnet 255.255.255.0 <- cuz thats what most peep do on 192 range..

step5: A: enable B: disable DHCP
A: Click enable, assign range 192.168.0.20

B: leave it disabled

step6: save apply settings etc etc
connect to cable modem.. sometimes their picky so you can just unplug it for like 30 count. make it easy etc :)

step7: goto the tab for status i belive. renew dhcp lease. your modem should send you the same style number as the computer you plugged in for step1, more than likely it will be the same number. as cable modem/carriers reset ip based on a pool system. and the normal time for a hard reset is around 30mins-1 hour. sometimes 12-24hours though so shouldnt be a issue. (if you cared you could check the modem's lease time to see your isps policy.)

step8: at this point you have 1 computer connected to the router. which is connected to the modem

If the router got the ip from the cable modem. and your computer received the correct range of ip addys. (repair connection etc) then your browser should be working correctly..

step9: (THIS SHOULDA BEEN A NO BRAINER )
no spyware or anything trying to redirect you :)

step10: if it didnt work but the settings are all correct, and the computers are clean. and there was working signal at all previous steps. then id just go exchange it as bad prolly..

Back