WRT54G, new firmware or new router?

Master_Pain

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a WRT54G v5 and was wondering if there is any firmware that will speed up things. Transferring files between computers seems to be a tad slow. Also, anything that I could do to help decrease my ping? Or should I just get a new router?

I primarily do gaming online and web browsing and transfer things from computer to computer.

The V5 is a very crippled router..hardware wise. Yes you can get a version of DD-WRT on it...quite a few steps involved compared to flashing a better model like a version 1-4 with DD-WRT, and not much performance gain...because as decent as DD-WRT is..it can only do so much with so little horsepower.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/26843/51/

So it seems the router is pretty crappy for multiple connections, super, so what router will be good for gaming and whatnot but not break the bank?

So it seems the router is pretty crappy for multiple connections, super, so what router will be good for gaming and whatnot but not break the bank?

Most new current generation routers...

Or..if you're a bit into fiddling with computer hardware...take a midrange or higher P3...256 or more megs of RAM, 2x NICs..and build yourself a linux based router. Such as IPCop, Endian, Smoothwall, m0n0wall, etc.

ok ya, not gonna build my own guys :p

would I notice a difference in how smoothly everything goes with a new netgear or linksys? Such as web pages loading smoother and a reduced ping in games?

Get a WRT54G v4 / GL (I have two!) :D

Compared to some of the cheap netgear/belkin/buffalo routers I've come across, yeah, its much better (with new firmware).

Try flashing your WRT54G first though, I don't think there's much difference except RAM and flash space between v5 and v4, and the memory usage on my WRT's stays pretty low (~25%) even with multiple P2P sessions running.

Back