WRT54g keeps locking up =\

sniper991122

Supreme [H]ardness
Well my room mate went out and bought a wrt54g last semester and its been running fine but recently it starts to lock up... the internet will stop working completely and neither my laptop nor my desktop can access the routers page... to remedy this resetting the router gives me a window of about 2-3 minutes of accessing the internet or accessing the routers page before it once again.. (surprise) locks up...

My wrt54g at my parents house is of course running good ole dd-wrt however after further investigation the wrt54g my room mate bought is a series 5-6 router, or as they call it 'neutered' with less memory and all the stuff that helps them out :confused: :mad: and it seems most reported attempts of flashing it leads to bricked wrt54g's....

does anyone have any ideas?

I think just about every 54G is flashable these days, it's just a little more involved process. I just flashed tomato on a couple brand new routers that my parents' bought. I'm pretty sure one was a v5 and the other was a v6. It involved flashing a couple special firmwares first, but after that it was just like usual. I've got em set up in WDS mode to extend the signal range in their house, and they've been working fine for the past month.

Here's the page I used:
http://www.bitsum.com/openwiking/owbase/ow.asp?WRT54G5_CFE

Are you running bittorrent, if so thats whats causing the router to lock up. Recently a coworker of mine had the same problem. Putting DD-WRT on it solved the problem, and he was using the v6, so its possible to flash it, just a more involved process.

yeh I knew they were all flashable and as I found out last night the v5 and v6 only lets you use the 'micro' version of dd-wrt as the link you posted states....

I guess I was just hoping for something better =\ I'll probably end up putting micro on their the next time it starts to lock up and pisses me off

I haven't been running bit torrent in probably a good month or two but even when I did torrent some files I didn't have any problems with the router locking up...

I think I might just put dd-wrt micro on there...

edit - Just got done flashing and everything and got dd-wrt micro on there.. I'll post back in this thread if I have any more problems but I really dont see that happening now :)

Its good to see the familiar dd-wrt page when accessing the router...

It might be overheating, under clock the thing to 180MHz perhaps? Chances of that are small, I OC'ed my v2 to 216MHz and max radio ouput with no issues.

Yeah, these things can't handle many IP connections, and P2P and Bit-torrent is becomming an issue for these lower-end routers.

Personally, I prefer the DLink DGL-4300. Extremely fast wan-to-lan thru-put, and it can handle 1000 IP connections.

-Larry

Are you running bittorrent, if so thats whats causing the router to lock up. Recently a coworker of mine had the same problem. Putting DD-WRT on it solved the problem, and he was using the v6, so its possible to flash it, just a more involved process.

Back