WRT54G + Europe?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Carlosinfl, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Carlosinfl

Carlosinfl Loves the juice

While my family was here in the states visiting from Holland, I bought them a Linksys WRT54G router from BestBuy. They tool it home and it will not work. They say they have ADSL line but according to Linksys, the US version will not work in Europe and I was wondering exactly what is the reason why the router does not work. Does anyone know the specifics or if it can be flashed?

2. Zxcs

Zxcs 2[H]4U

Does it have PPPoE? (not sure about europe) but in UK most ADSL providers require you to use PPPoA, and I have not yet seen a linksys that supports PPPoA

3. tiebird321

tiebird321 [H]ard|Gawd

I assume it powers on corectly?
    (i have no clue if holland is 110 or 220)

beyond that what is the model and make of the ADSL modem?

4. MartinX

MartinX One Hour Martinizing While You Wait

When you say "doesn't work", what does that mean exactly?

There so much scope between the configuration of the wrt54g and it's clients for problems to arise, that "it doesn't work" really isn't enough to go on.

For instance:

Does it power up?
    Can clients connect to it, and to each other through it?
    Is it in Gateway mode?

5. MartinX

MartinX One Hour Martinizing While You Wait

I have been given to understand that the the linksys in pppoe mode can work with pppoa if you manually configure a lower MTU.

I don't know enough about that sort of thing to understand why that would or wouldn't work.

It may also be possible to bypass the problem by letting the adsl modem handle the authentication and setting the wrt54g to get it's internet settings from the modem by dhcp.

That's if pppoa is the issue.