wrt firmware router for gigE switch and usb?

wkearney99

Limp Gawd
I'm entertaining the idea of using a wrt-based firmware on hardware and use just as a 4 port gigE switch and a monitor for a USB-connected UPS. I don't need wireless at these locations, just the ability to run the apcupsd daemon. I could, of course, just use a separate switch but it seems like it ought to be both power and cost efficient to repurpose a consumer grade router for this. We've got a generator, so the UPSes are only there to carry over until that fires up. I'm interested in monitoring the state of the UPS (voltages, battery condition, etc). Using apcupsd seems a reasonable fit for this.

It's a bit of a challenge trying to wade through various databases to find just gigE switch ports and USB. I could, of course, use a route with radios and just disable them.

Thoughts? Suggestions on hardware? Warnings on what to avoid?

How many locations are you looking to deploy with this? By the time you wade through all of the options, I'd bet your research time would be more than a used/refurb NIC for an APC UPS.

They're small units, the power strip sized kind, so they don't have a slot for a network module.

Back