WRT-54G, tomato, and switchs don't play

Well here's me problem. I have 2 switchs that I'd like to use to expand the number of computer hooked up to the internet. One is an older (large case) Netgear FS105 that has a button for uplink/normal operation. The other switch is a brand new Netgear GS605 gigabit.
My WRT-54G has the latest tomato firmware on it and with deviced plugged directly into the back, no problems. Trouble comes when I try and hook up a switch, then a computer. I haven't tried hooking up a different computer (just mine) so that's something I'll try but for the life of me I can't get anything to work. Sometimes the network icon in the systray says acquiring address, but no packets are sent or received! Sometimes the icon jump on and off saying network cable unplugged, not, is, not, is, like a freaking blinking LED.
The router has the default DHCP server enabled and I've tried setting my computer to auto and static IP. Nothing works and if I unplug the switch and try and plug the computer directly into the router like it was, nothing works, required a reboot. The motherboard is an ASUS P5B-E with the Alltansic gigabit, no strange protocols, not even QOS is enabled on the computer!
Very frustrated and pulling my hair out with this one. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you get a linklight on the Linksys and switch when you uplink them?
You're uplinking using one of the LAN ports of your Linksys router, correct?
Since one of the switches is gigabit..and auto-mdi/mdi-x is part of gigabit standard..we don't have to worry about "uplink" or "crossover"..it's all automatic.

One thing that's odd...you state your PC sometimes flashes the "disconnected" symbol...I'm guessing you mean the red X? If so...the issue isn't your router at all..but the connection between your PCs NIC and the switch itself. Do you have another PC/laptop you can try?

Thanks. I did look further into my computers problems and it turns out that one of the services wasn't running in xp. I have XP setup with different profiles. I went back to the default and all is well. Apparently my "tweaked for speed" profile has something disabled that it shouldn't. Real shame because I don't know which one, lol.
Thanks for the insight though and yes, my older FS105 needs the uplink button pressed on when using standard cable and not a patch cable to hook up to the router. When (or if) I find out which service it is that was disabled I'll be sure to post back here. I'm not too worried though since I have 3GB or ram so I might just let XP run whatever services it wants.

Thanks. I did look further into my computers problems and it turns out that one of the services wasn't running in xp. I have XP setup with different profiles. I went back to the default and all is well. Apparently my "tweaked for speed" profile has something disabled that it shouldn't. Real shame because I don't know which one, lol.
Thanks for the insight though and yes, my older FS105 needs the uplink button pressed on when using standard cable and not a patch cable to hook up to the router. When (or if) I find out which service it is that was disabled I'll be sure to post back here. I'm not too worried though since I have 3GB or ram so I might just let XP run whatever services it wants.

This
might help with the answer:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Back