Write And Draw On Web Pages With Microsoft Edge

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is one of those features that sounds really cool but hardly anyone will actually use it. Anyone here excited about this?

Is it really all that useful? It’s helpful for pointing out glitches on websites, highlighting passages and pictures you like, picking out items in a lengthy list and so on, but whether it’s necessary enough for people to jump over from Chrome or Firefox remains to be seen. As annotated pages are saved locally, it’s not all that different from taking a screenshot and editing that instead.

Until Edge gets extension support all the cool features in the world won't make me use it. Browsing the web without ad blocking and anonymizers is fucking awful these days.

Until Edge gets extension support all the cool features in the world won't make me use it. Browsing the web without ad blocking and anonymizers is fucking awful these days.

I'll agree with that. I've been trying to use Edge instead of Chrome for the time being because of the audio stack bug with Chrome and Win 10, but the lack of extensions or adblockers ([H]ard is always on my whitelist tho ;) ), on top of mediocre performance and constant HTML5 errors is really starting to bug me.

I like what they want to do with Edge, but a lot of work still needs to be done on the browser itself to make it more stable.

I'll agree with that. I've been trying to use Edge instead of Chrome for the time being because of the audio stack bug with Chrome and Win 10, but the lack of extensions or adblockers ([H]ard is always on my whitelist tho ;) ), on top of mediocre performance and constant HTML5 errors is really starting to bug me.

Mediocre performance and constant HTML5 errors? Been using Edge as my primary browser across multiple devices for a while now, can't say I've seen these problems. The consensus seems to be that Edge is pretty fast, it's been that in my observation.

As for the ink feature, it could come in handy but even as much as I use ink this isn't a feature that I'm using. I do use OneNote heavily to save off web pages. But this is simply creating an image that's been marked up. It also only integrates with the cloud which some won't like.

Edge works great for me so far. Addon support is coming later this Fall. So, AdBlock will be there.

As far as writing and marking up web pages? I have no use for it whatsoever. I don't know of many situations where I would see a use for it. Web development and presentations for web site design - huge. Everything else? Not really...

The consensus seems to be that Edge is pretty fast...

Well sure, because right now it's a very *puts on sunglasses* Spartan browser...YYEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!

We'll see if it's still fast once they make it into a full featured browser.

Well sure, because right now it's a very *puts on sunglasses* Spartan browser...YYEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!

We'll see if it's still fast once they make it into a full featured browser.

The main thing missing are extensions which shouldn't have any effect on base performance. But extensions can clog things up when in use.

Mediocre performance and constant HTML5 errors? Been using Edge as my primary browser across multiple devices for a while now, can't say I've seen these problems. The consensus seems to be that Edge is pretty fast, it's been that in my observation.

For me, the HTML5 YouTube player keeps crashing when I try going to fullscreen, and the browser can lag my entire system when an ad tries to play a video in the background or uses an animation. Scrolling and closing tabs becomes a nightmare the more banner ads a site has. Granted, this could also be unrelated to the browser, but I never had these issues on Chrome.

I really like Edge from what ive used from it. If Microsoft really makes Chrome extensions work with it, and edge gets uBlock for instance, I can easily see it becoming my browser of choice. It has a beautiful smoothscroll implementation aswell.

It's really useful for web developer like myself. It's easy to review the design and make corrections right on the pages.

This is one of those features that sounds really cool but hardly anyone will actually use it. Anyone here excited about this?

Is it really all that useful? It’s helpful for pointing out glitches on websites, highlighting passages and pictures you like, picking out items in a lengthy list and so on, but whether it’s necessary enough for people to jump over from Chrome or Firefox remains to be seen. As annotated pages are saved locally, it’s not all that different from taking a screenshot and editing that instead.

Edge works great for me so far. Addon support is coming later this Fall. So, AdBlock will be there.

As far as writing and marking up web pages? I have no use for it whatsoever. I don't know of many situations where I would see a use for it. Web development and presentations for web site design - huge. Everything else? Not really...

I use a much more complicated method when trying to direct end users to specific web content I need them to use during support scenarios. It would be nice to be able to just draw on the page and then screenshot it.

I use a much more complicated method when trying to direct end users to specific web content I need them to use during support scenarios. It would be nice to be able to just draw on the page and then screenshot it.

I guess a quick screenshot and paste would work. I use Snipping tool, so I can draw using that. One less step is always good, though.

I guess a quick screenshot and paste would work. I use Snipping tool, so I can draw using that. One less step is always good, though.

The Edge writing mode creates an image of the entire page, not just what's onscreen.

For me, the HTML5 YouTube player keeps crashing when I try going to fullscreen, and the browser can lag my entire system when an ad tries to play a video in the background or uses an animation. Scrolling and closing tabs becomes a nightmare the more banner ads a site has. Granted, this could also be unrelated to the browser, but I never had these issues on Chrome.

I've had very similar problems. Edge might benchmark well, but real world responsiveness is a lot more important and when I load pages, the browser seems to just randomly pause for anywhere from one to a few seconds. Sure it's just a couple of seconds and it seems like its mostly related to it handling advertisements, but its annoying. Pulling up IE on the same computer makes the problem go away. Firefox doesn't have those issues either.

I don't personally care that much about what browser I'm using, but Edge has been pretty underwhelming so far.

I've had very similar problems. Edge might benchmark well, but real world responsiveness is a lot more important and when I load pages, the browser seems to just randomly pause for anywhere from one to a few seconds. Sure it's just a couple of seconds and it seems like its mostly related to it handling advertisements, but its annoying. Pulling up IE on the same computer makes the problem go away. Firefox doesn't have those issues either.

I don't personally care that much about what browser I'm using, but Edge has been pretty underwhelming so far.

Do you have any specific examples of sites that you are experiencing problems with? Edge has been very solid for me across a number of devices. It's WAY faster on Atom tablets that Chrome, the difference is night and day in terms of performance.

Do you have any specific examples of sites that you are experiencing problems with? Edge has been very solid for me across a number of devices. It's WAY faster on Atom tablets that Chrome, the difference is night and day in terms of performance.

Yeah, I've had that problem on MSN.com, anandtech.com, outlook.com (well live or whatever), this site (but only occasionally), and nexusmods.com. Out of all of those, nexusmods is probably the worst, but the site is also littered with advertisements and junk.

Like I said, it's not bad at all. The delay is noticable (like between one and three-ish seconds). Sites will partially load and begin to display text, but then the freeze happens and after that advertising content appears. This was on a Core i5-2520m with 4GB of RAM with Intel graphics and 7200 RPM hard drive.

Back