Wraith Prism on a stock 2700x and Noise

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
How loud is this thing really when you apply a decent fan curve to it? I want a better cooler than what comes with teh AMD 5 2600, my first choiice, but then with a 50 dollar cooler, I'm already up at the same price as the 2700x. I was thinking I'd just use the Prism cooler and spend the same amount of cash and get a faster CPU too. However, I've been reading about the Prism and almosst everyone reports it's noisy. It's jsut too bad AMD didn;t step up it's gameand offer a 120mm fan/cpolerinstead of the 3000+ RPM 92mm.

I think the fans are similar, so at max they would probably sound about the same. The Prism can do a lot better at lower fan RPM than the Stealth, but then the 2700X is a hotter chip.

You don't need a $50 cooler for a 2600, though. Have you considered digging up a secondhand Prism for the 2600? That's actually not a bad match. (I have a prism on a 1600, and while it's not an H7, it's not bad for either temps or noise at all but prime95 loads.) Prism's are all over ebay for $20-ish and in my area at least, I can find them even cheaper on craigslist and similar trading sites.

I think the fans are similar, so at max they would probably sound about the same. The Prism can do a lot better at lower fan RPM than the Stealth, but then the 2700X is a hotter chip.

You don't need a $50 cooler for a 2600, though. Have you considered digging up a secondhand Prism for the 2600? That's actually not a bad match. (I have a prism on a 1600, and while it's not an H7, it's not bad for either temps or noise at all but prime95 loads.) Prism's are all over ebay for $20-ish and in my area at least, I can find them even cheaper on craigslist and similar trading sites.
YEah but then I'm 20 away from the 2700x and the Prism. Anyway, I've decided to go with the 3600 anyway since it is about the same price as the 2700x right now. Yeah, the 3600 comes with the shittiest fan, but I'll deal with it later. The 3600 comes with new instructions that puts it virtually on par with the 2700x and a little faster in most cases. and, it uses 35 less watts doing it.

As long as you don't need the 2 additional cores, sure, the 3600 is newer, shinier, and generally a bit faster. The stock Stealth is garbage but that's easily corrected at your convenience.

A noisy cooler fan is often the result of poor case airflow supplying cooler with pre-heated air. Every degree warmer air is going into cooler is same degree hotter CPU will be, so cooler fan speeds up trying to give better cooling, Also keep in mind these flat coolers with fan pushing air into them end up re-using their own heated exhaust; air in through cooler hits motherboard and turns out, hit's RAM, GPU, etc. and turns up along side of cooler and fan where it is then drawn back into cooler. When I tested flat coolers I found the air entering cooler with CPU under heavy load was 8-12c warmer than a few inches away. This was even true on bench top test station with 140mm fan flowing air over motherboard GPU and CPU cooler.

As long as you don't need the 2 additional cores, sure, the 3600 is newer, shinier, and generally a bit faster. The stock Stealth is garbage but that's easily corrected at your convenience.
A noisy cooler fan is often the result of poor case airflow supplying cooler with pre-heated air. Every degree warmer air is going into cooler is same degree hotter CPU will be, so cooler fan speeds up trying to give better cooling, Also keep in mind these flat coolers with fan pushing air into them end up re-using their own heated exhaust; air in through cooler hits motherboard and turns out, hit's RAM, GPU, etc. and turns up along side of cooler and fan where it is then drawn back into cooler. When I tested flat coolers I found the air entering cooler with CPU under heavy load was 8-12c warmer than a few inches away. This was even true on bench top test station with 140mm fan flowing air over motherboard GPU and CPU cooler.
That's probably right, but at least in this review they found that the top down air flow from the Wraith Prism actually kept the VRMs a lot cooler than a tower solution.
"The top-down airflow design also helps cool voltage regulation-related components on the motherboard that aren't actively cooled. They reach a maximum of just 91 degrees Celsius." Compared to the tower cooler they used, "What's not as great are the component temperatures in the VR area of the motherboard. They are a massive 14 degrees C higher compared to the Wraith. Since some of the components in question are capacitors, these kinds of temperatures aren't acceptable over longer time periods. . .This is generally a problem with tower coolers." Tom's Review

We'll see what happens. The case I am using is going to be a virtual wind tunnel. No SATA cables, no peripheral cables (all cabling is in a separate compartment androuted behind the MB), 4 Noctua 1200 RPM 140mm fans intake, two 140 mm exhaust with lots of back panel exhaust ports. I'm pretty sure I'll be purchasing a cooler in short order. I'm not into whirring CPU fans - or any fans.

Last edited:
Back