WPC54G Connection Speed Issues

Arkanian

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Dell 9100 in which the internal antenna for the Internal Wireless MPCI just died. I went out and bought a LinkSys WPC54G PCMCIA card because it has great reviews on newegg. Since I bought it I have been having connection issues where the device would connect at 54 and then slowly go down to 1. The router that I use is the DLink 108G Gaming Router. I just updated the firmware on it and told it to connect devices at 54 mps only. What is wierd is that my laptop is showing that it is connected at 24 mps right now but the router shows the device is connected at 54 mps. Does anyone know what is going on? I have another laptop Dell D610 and it connects fine and stable at 54 so I know it isn't a router issue.

EDIT: Well the 9100 is connected at 11 mps and now the D610 is connected at 36 mps but the router still shows that both devices are connected at 54. I have the 2 laptops sitting right next to each other. maybe that is the issue?

EDIT2: I made the router only do WPA instead of WPA/WPA2. After the router rebooted, hte D610 has been connected at 54mps while the 9100 jumps like crazy between 24,36,48, and 54.

EDIT3: D610 still rock solid at 54 while the 9100 is jumping around like crazy. I am beginning to think that I need a different PCMCIA wireless card. Time to get my money back and maybe try something from DLink

EDIT4: I stuck the laptop next to the router and after 5 mins it rose to 54 mps rock solid. So the problem is that the Linksys WPC54G doesn't like the Dlink DGL 4300 108 Gaming router as far as length goes. Everything else that I have doesn't have this issue, mainly the D610 which uses a broadcom chip and my USB Wireless adapter for my Xbox 360.

EDIT5: ok I stuck the laptop back where it was before and it is still rock solid at 54 and not jumping anymore. Hmmm...I will have to keep monitoring this but right now all of my devices are at 54mps rock solid.

EDIT6: ok the 9100 dropped back down to 36 so it is an issue with the wireless card. Will be taking this back because right now i am in an apartment but will be buying a house come Feb and I need to have a card that will work at long ranges.

EDIT7: Now this is strange, I put back the original Broadcom wireless MPCI ship back in the laptop and Windows detected it as a Linksys WPC54G V2 and it now can see my network and connects to it at 54 rock solid. This is strange because it is a Broadcom chip not a Linksys chip. Regardless I finally got the laptop to work perfect. Time to take the Linksys WPC54G back to where I bought it from.

Back