WP7 smokes Android and iOS phones in the dust

Has anyone ever seen a WP7 device in the wild? I don't think I've ever seen one. I asked for a Trophy at the Verizon store when I went to test out the Rezound and RAZR (before the Nexus launched) and they didn't even keep them in stock, lol. I would really like to see/try one in person though. If they ever make one with a decent display (higher than WVGA) and it comes to Verizon, I would seriously consider it. But that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon :(.

If the Arrive was on Verizon, that would be perfect for my wife. She loves keyboards and I think the WP7 UI would suit her better than Android.

I tried the Samsung Focus S on AT&T for a couple of weeks. It's excellent and WP7.5 just screams in speed and smoothness on it. Only reason I didn't stick with it was the data plan. I stream a lot of internet radio while on the road and chewed up over half of my 2GB allotment in just over a week. Verizon's unlimited data is the only plan that fits my uses for a smart phone, unless/until Sprint's coverage gets better.

If Verizon ever gets a hi-end Windows phone, I'd dump Android in a hot minute. Maybe with the release of Apollo, Verizon finally will give us a worthy Windows phone.

Has anyone ever seen a WP7 device in the wild? I don't think I've ever seen one. I asked for a Trophy at the Verizon store when I went to test out the Rezound and RAZR (before the Nexus launched) and they didn't even keep them in stock, lol. I would really like to see/try one in person though. If they ever make one with a decent display (higher than WVGA) and it comes to Verizon, I would seriously consider it. But that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon :(.

If the Arrive was on Verizon, that would be perfect for my wife. She loves keyboards and I think the WP7 UI would suit her better than Android.

I've seen a single WP7 in the wild. Even when I was still working in DC I never saw anybody on the Metro with one. It was always Android based or an iPhone.

I don't remember which model phone it was, but I wasn't overly impressed with it. WP7 was quite nice but the phone itself felt cheap and left something to be desired.

Has anyone ever seen a WP7 device in the wild? I don't think I've ever seen one.

I've seen three other people with WP7s in the year I've owned mine. One was at work, (surprised because it was a college dean and faculty here are almost exclusively iOS) one was at the Hard event in Dallas last summer, and one was in a doctor's waiting room. The waiting room guy chatted me up for 15mins about how awesome our phones were. :cool:

For a platform with less than 10% marketshare, I'm not surprised. WP7 is an *easy* sell to first-time smartphone users, but for those on established platforms, the sell's a lot tougher.

Ive seen about maybe 4-5 not including myself. San Francisco is the kingdom of iOS, dont really even see anywhere near as many androids as you would think

Ive seen about maybe 4-5 not including myself. San Francisco is the kingdom of iOS, dont really even see anywhere near as many androids as you would think

Depends on where in the bay. In downtown SF, yeah, lots of iPhones (lots of hipsters, too, though - coincidence? I think not :p ). A bit further south, say between Redwood City and San Jose and the number of Androids rapidly passes up iPhones.

Has anyone ever seen a WP7 device in the wild?

I've seen about 8 or so in the wild - although all of them worked for Microsoft, so...

I've only seen one person with a WP7 device, the rest is pretty much 50/50 split between iOS and Android.

I actually see them almost daily in the bus or train. But I don't have a representative picture because I work and study at places where a lot of engineers and computer scientists are. I think they tend to experiment more with such things. Also, the local Microsoft headquarters isn't too far away from work either.

What I see ridiculously often nowadays are people with Beats Audio equipment.

So I have used WP7 a bit & honestly I would say it was on par with Android, but not better.. But then I got a Nexus S with ICS.. WP7 is nowhere near as smooth or fast as Android 4.0

So I have used WP7 a bit & honestly I would say it was on par with Android, but not better.. But then I got a Nexus S with ICS.. WP7 is nowhere near as smooth or fast as Android 4.0

false

that is all

What Windows Phone device did you use? New devices like the Titan smoke the first gen devices like the HTC Arrive I have. A Titan is nothing but smooth.

All 3 of the 1st gen WP7 phones from AT&T.. I haven't used any 2nd gen.. But considering the hardware I am using which is rather dated & the fact that ICS is still much smoother I imagine that using a newer one would see the same differance as ICS on newer hardware as well..

false

that is all
/evidence

Where is it?

All 3 of the 1st gen WP7 phones from AT&T.. I haven't used any 2nd gen.. But considering the hardware I am using which is rather dated & the fact that ICS is still much smoother I imagine that using a newer one would see the same differance as ICS on newer hardware as well..

So what Android phone are you using and what exactly is much smoother?

As far as what phone goes I will let you go ahead & actually read for yourself since it was like 4 posts ago on this very page that I said it..

As far as what is smoother.. Everything.. The complete OS is silky smooth. This is probably the reason why google is mandating that all ICS phones have there stock launcher (doesn't mean they wont ship with crap ass touchwiz or motoblur in addition to it though).

As far as what phone goes I will let you go ahead & actually read for yourself since it was like 4 posts ago on this very page that I said it.

Pardon me, I guess you never miss things.

As far as what is smoother.. Everything.. The complete OS is silky smooth. This is probably the reason why google is mandating that all ICS phones have there stock launcher (doesn't mean they wont ship with crap ass touchwiz or motoblur in addition to it though).

I'll have to take a look at an ICS phone.

Hopefully Verizon gets some good ones by next year in time for my upgrade. I like android, but I wanna try something new and I can't stand iOS(tried my parents iPad2, god what a piece of junk, the touchscreen was just awful and the whole interface is kinda "meh")

So bad at registering where the finger hits on the touch screen.
I thought I was the only one thinking that. It is plain awful to use, on the iPhone as well. Or maybe the touch buttons are too small. I just can't seem to hit with the same precision as on a cheap Android. Only the old Symbian touch devices felt worse... :eek:

PS: Maybe I got a bad iPhone 4, I don't know. I haven't used it except for work, so don't hit me.

So bad at registering where the finger hits on the touch screen.

This doesn't sound right. I've used a number of iPads, both 1s and 2s and have never witnessed this. Sounds like a hardware issue or perhaps a calibration problem. I've never tried to or even know if there is a way to calibrate the touchscreen on an iPad, it's possible with Windows touchscreen tablets, at least the ones I have.

/evidence

Where is it?

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/windows-phones-final-tally-ces-30-wins-3-losses

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_...m-the-smokedbywindowsphone-100-challenge.aspx

clearly the OS and hardware are doing somthing smooth.

What a bunch of garbage.. All tests were not limited to the hardware. There network limited as there all internet based task's.. So Unless they were on the same network as the others then there is no data there worth considering.

My old HTC wizzard could complete those tasks faster then any modern phone with the right network advantage.. such as wifi with a good connection vs edge or even most 3g..

Personal annotation is not evidence. Supplying evidence ( faulty as it is) is more effort than Ive seen from wp7 on here.

Im a hard core Nokia fan. My n82...amazing. Much like PC OS use what works and stay open minded. I hate the walled gardens but that is a political stance more them personal use.

Personally, I love the platform. I used to carry Focus for a little bit there, before Mango. Was really excited for Mango :). Went back to Android, I couldn't pass up my Sprint discount, even at horrible speeds and HTC Arive is so so.

Anyway, I would start up a contract now with ATT to get a WP7 device, but I have to agree with majority.. app options are still not there! I am not huge into apps, but I do love the selection that Android has now and find myself getting more and more apps loaded with every month pretty much. With App quality going up, it really is as good as Iphone to me. While WP7 is very optimized and fast, I still would like a higher res phone with dual core cpu along with games to take advantage of it.

If that isn't enough, ICS update for Android is amazing! It pretty much made OS on par with WP7 visually to me. I only wish that this update can come to Epic Touch clean, with no TW :(

Personal annotation is not evidence. Supplying evidence ( faulty as it is) is more effort than Ive seen from wp7 on here.

Im a hard core Nokia fan. My n82...amazing. Much like PC OS use what works and stay open minded. I hate the walled gardens but that is a political stance more them personal use.

I cannot find a hard review comparing ICS & WP7 side by side. As ICS is only "technically" available on 2 devices as of yet.

The WP7 wright-up linked above would also have more meaning if it showed the devices that WP7 beat. At-least one of its loss's came at the hand of the Galaxy Nexus which would account for 1/33rd of the test phones. Given the cost & how new it is even at CES that is not going to be all that common of a device so its possible that was the one & only ICS device tested. Its also possible there was a Nexus S or 2 in there since there way more common, but hardware wise that would be a big difference since its on dated hardware.

This doesn't sound right. I've used a number of iPads, both 1s and 2s and have never witnessed this. Sounds like a hardware issue or perhaps a calibration problem. I've never tried to or even know if there is a way to calibrate the touchscreen on an iPad, it's possible with Windows touchscreen tablets, at least the ones I have.

Pretty much every capacitive phone and tablet I know of calibrates the touch screen every time the display turns on.

I thought I was the only one thinking that. It is plain awful to use, on the iPhone as well. Or maybe the touch buttons are too small. I just can't seem to hit with the same precision as on a cheap Android. Only the old Symbian touch devices felt worse... :eek:

Android uses bigger touch targets. I find iOS's targets to be too small, and I end up repeat tapping much more often on the iPad 2 than I do the Xoom (and the Xoom's touch screen rather sucks). I'm also not entirely sure, but they seem slightly off location as well (too high up?). Or maybe Android's are off and I've just gotten used to it *shrug*

If you've been checking around ''Ben the PC guy'', he (or was it MS?) made a publicity stunt where he bet $100 that his WP7 phone (should've used a Lumia, not a Titan) is faster than any phone you're holding.

The twist here is that they're measuring 'fast' based on the everyday stuff that you do. Not synthetic benchmarks, real-world things. What do you guys think of WP7 now?

well.. some manufacturer made a bad rom and didn't actually fix the "bugs" in some devices like the forummate over xda did.. even out of the box wp7 maybe faster but the support on apps are really not that much relatively..

I am pretty impressed with Windows Phone 7, I switched over from an iPhone 3G that I had since 2008 and I really enjoy the Tile UI. I've also been pretty impressed with my Titan although I haven't been able to personally benchmark it against any other phones.

Finally, I'm glad that M$ recently added VB support to the SDK. I am learning C# but still 1000x more comfortable in VB :)

Back