WoWP - World Of War Planes

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
So, i downloaded it and am playing, pain to control!

I am not sure if i like using the mouse to use for control as a simply "look and go" style.. i know WASD could be used but perhaps to difficult.

Has anyone else dove into the current beta yet?

They certainly need to change the voice over! it is just not appropriate for the game at all, especially the end of round one

Unless the game is as basic as Battlefield, flying with a mouse/keyboard is like using a steering wheel for a shooter.

Buy a joystick if you can't afford an X52 Pro (IMO, you may as well pay up front). Or at least find a 360 controller.

ya joystick could be good, i think also getting past prop planes helps alot!

i am loving bombers!

Is this a crossover from World of Tanks? And if so, is there ever going to be a crossover where dive bombers and other tank killers got to roam the skies of WoT?

ahaha i was thinking that, would be awesome

but yes, this is from war gaming as well, and soon World of ships.

Thought this thread was about War Thunder. War Thunder is decent, but I can't stand MMO/Free to play styled games. I would look into trying it though as going by the videos, it looks a whole lot better than WoP.

War Thunder also has tanks coming along shortly to.

If you like World of Planes you should try War Thunder. Does it better.

And the joystick comments are just ignorant. Mouse and KB are always going to be far better in precision and offer the biggest advantage in this game and the one I just recommended.

The only instance this wouldn't be true is if the developers took it upon themselves to neuter the advantages of a mouse/kb.

And the joystick comments are just ignorant. Mouse and KB are always going to be far better in precision and offer the biggest advantage in this game and the one I just recommended.

The only instance this wouldn't be true is if the developers took it upon themselves to neuter the advantages of a mouse/kb.

Yeah, I made those comments with War Thunder in mind (the more realistic modes). I never tried WoP... but IMO, if a game based around flight is better played with a mouse/keyboard then the game isn't worth playing in the first place. :p

No, in any game that reliably does flight, you can NOT use mouse and keyboard to compete in any way. Go play one of the real combat flight sims that properly emulate flight physics with a mouse and keyboard, you won't stand a chance against someone with even a basic joystick. Not saying you can't fly or try to fight, but you sure will not take out anyone with a joystick. It's like being a keyboard turner in MMO pvp - yes, you CAN do it, but you wont be taken anywhere with anyone who doesnt want to carry you, and you wont win against someone who isn't a keyboard turner.

Difference is, these two games are not what I could call realistic.

Is this a crossover from World of Tanks? And if so, is there ever going to be a crossover where dive bombers and other tank killers got to roam the skies of WoT?

Currently there is World of Tanks, World of Warplanes and in alpha is World of Warships. All independent of one another, but use unified accounts. Premium in one, is for all basically.

Wargaming.net has said in the past, depending on the continued success of the series, they may in the future work to bridge the games somehow, in a different manner. The way WoT is setup for instance, is designed to the core about armored warfare, and balance between a sprawling tech tree for each class and country. Very, very complex stuff to be honest. No way that can be bolted into planes or warships if you ask me.

World of Tanks, while a 3rd person armored warfare shooter on the surface, may as well be a strategy game for the most part. Making un-calculated moves will always lead to your demise, and you get 1 life per game. This is why many people try and quit. Perhaps even use the excuse its pay 2 win, when its the exact opposite. Only the skilled thrive in this game, and skill is acquired through attrition. This game isn't about how twitchy you can be, how many headshots you can get either. Its about patience, angling, placing shots, using cover, camo, timing, role support and ultimately strategized teamwork. A skilled tanker in this game hunts his prey like an animal on a full belly. Never starved for a kill, never so trigger happy that he would pull out, risk everything just to get a shot or a kill shot.

Would be near impossible to take that strategy based gameplay and mix it into another game. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong but Wargaming.net said they could do it lol

Last edited:
Played it for a little while a month or so back. I thought it was pretty fun, I just dislike the fact that there are planes you can actually buy that you can't earn. Granted they aren't the best but still irksome IMO. While some people don't like the one death I think they did it well since you can die and then jump immediately back into a new game in a different plane just like WoT.

Its not bad so far, I've been playing since the alpha. The game has improved a lot since then. Its not a full on sim or anything but they do a decent enough job of actually giving the planes the characteristics they would have had in reality so a lot of the tactics used in dogfights are somewhat based on their real life equivalents. 109's have to boom and zoom, spitfires want to turn and burn etc. The game is heavily skill based for the most part and a good pilot in a plane that is a tier lower will almost always beat a bad pilot who is in a tier one step up.

I guess the largest weakness the game has is that its going to need a lot of balancing overall. There seems to be some very large gaps between similar weapons and the firepower ratings imo still make absolutely no sense because dps is only about 33% of what makes up good firepower. I also believe the armor or hp on many of the planes needs some heavy tweaking.

If you liked wot you will probably like this game, the matches tend to be shorter and more action packed. The skill cap is higher and imo the game is just more fun over all. I'm sure there are some tank jockeys out there who will disagree with me but, that's just my 2 cents.

Edit: also if any one is interested I'm always looking for people to play with send me a PM if you want a wingman. Would be fun to get an [H] clan going when the game actually releases.

No, in any game that reliably does flight, you can NOT use mouse and keyboard to compete in any way. Go play one of the real combat flight sims that properly emulate flight physics with a mouse and keyboard, you won't stand a chance against someone with even a basic joystick. Not saying you can't fly or try to fight, but you sure will not take out anyone with a joystick. It's like being a keyboard turner in MMO pvp - yes, you CAN do it, but you wont be taken anywhere with anyone who doesnt want to carry you, and you wont win against someone who isn't a keyboard turner.

War Thunder has three modes of play:

Arcade Battles in which the flight models are modified to provide a more level playing field, though there are still notable differences between planes. People with joysticks actually have complained that mouse/kb users have an unfair advantage in this mode.

Historical Battles where the flight models are much more realistic and representative of the actual flight characteristics of the planes. Joysticks/pedals are an advantage in this mode as the artificial pilot aids are reduced quite a bit.

Full Real Battles which is supposedly a full on flight sim where you can control such things as prop pitch, etc.

War Thunder is supposed to be coming out with the open beta of ground combat next month in conjunction with the release of the PS4 next month. Maps are to be much larger than WoT (ie current War Thunder size) and there will be the opportunity to have player controlled aircraft and tanks on the same battlefield.

So, i downloaded it and am playing, pain to control!

I am not sure if i like using the mouse to use for control as a simply "look and go" style.. i know WASD could be used but perhaps to difficult.

Has anyone else dove into the current beta yet?

They certainly need to change the voice over! it is just not appropriate for the game at all, especially the end of round one

game is shit i have been playing since alpha
its a money grab they keep changing things that didnt need to be changed
flight model is a joke, damage model is a joke
and the "skill" thing is dumb IM the pilot its MY skill i dont want silly rpg elements in my flight game
skils kinda make sense in WoT since your the tank commander and not directly in control of every thing

wait for Il-2 Battle for Stalingrad
http://il2sturmovik.com/
this by the same guys that did Rise of Flight
no silly grinding
bunch of planes out of the box and more as DLC by the aircraft you want and ignore the rest
and its a full on sim

I did indicate that I was talking specifically of those two games.

Regardless, the mouse gives a person far more precision & accuracy in controlling an XY axis than a joystick ever could. It's not arguable. It's a function of human anatomy and motor control as well as the joystick's fighting against muscle to return to the common origin.

all my friends who play world of tanks say the game sucks compared to that, planes arent that fun really u might aswell play a real simulator if u enjoy those stuff.

I`m avid play of World of Tanks but World of Warplanes is not worth playing atm and probably not for a long time if ever. Especially since there is War Thunder, which completely obliterates it in just about every way and is also starting to introduce ground forces (next month I believe). Also looking forward to what RoF guys can cook up, Rise of Flight is a great game.

I did indicate that I was talking specifically of those two games.

Regardless, the mouse gives a person far more precision & accuracy in controlling an XY axis than a joystick ever could. It's not arguable. It's a function of human anatomy and motor control as well as the joystick's fighting against muscle to return to the common origin.

It is arguable, because by your logic, there's not a single game out there would control better without a mouse - and that's not true. You CAN NOT use a mouse in a real simulator as a control input and attain the same results - the "precision" you so happily tout doesnt work that way based on actual physics and flight models. You can keep claiming it all you want, and while it's true that a mouse is more "precise" in getting to coords, thats not what is important in actually controlling a simulator.

Your logic is flawed when trying to argue simulations. Any competent sim user can prove it to you by going into any simulator they've never touched, and beating the shit out of you using a joystick or wheel while you use a "superior" mouse. Theres a reason that people dont use a mouse in professional sims, or even in passingly acceptable sims. Fuck, go play Need For Speed with a mouse instead of a wheel or gamepad - you'll suck a lot worse than anyone else in it, and it's not even a real sim. Mouse control does not translate to vehicles well, and arguing it shows ignorance of how well things control when you use the proper control system.

It is arguable, because by your logic, there's not a single game out there would control better without a mouse - and that's not true. You CAN NOT use a mouse in a real simulator as a control input and attain the same results - the "precision" you so happily tout doesnt work that way based on actual physics and flight models. You can keep claiming it all you want, and while it's true that a mouse is more "precise" in getting to coords, thats not what is important in actually controlling a simulator.

Your logic is flawed when trying to argue simulations. Any competent sim user can prove it to you by going into any simulator they've never touched, and beating the shit out of you using a joystick or wheel while you use a "superior" mouse. Theres a reason that people dont use a mouse in professional sims, or even in passingly acceptable sims. Fuck, go play Need For Speed with a mouse instead of a wheel or gamepad - you'll suck a lot worse than anyone else in it, and it's not even a real sim. Mouse control does not translate to vehicles well, and arguing it shows ignorance of how well things control when you use the proper control system.

No, actually, all I said is that a mouse is better at XY than a joystick. Don't really care to argue the point much, though. Not trying to burst your bubble.

This. As mentioned, for basic BF3 style flight (and perhaps WoP) a mouse/keyboard are fine if not better than a joystick/HOTAS. There is simply not enough margin of movement and control to take advantage of such a setup. This is where a mouse/keyboard works.

The moment you go to something with somewhat accurate flight a mouse becomes absolutely horrendous.

No, actually, all I said is that a mouse is better at XY than a joystick. Don't really care to argue the point much, though. Not trying to burst your bubble.

People with M/KB can't compete in the majority of flight games just as game-pad people can't in FPS since flight is a lot more than XY pointing. Anyone who believes otherwise will get murdered by those using a flight stick with knowledge of advanced air-combat tactics.

Flight games where this is not true is due to poor implementation of control, and unfortunately for some people WoWP is one of them, since control response is server side. That excess ping delay often causes control overshoot, which is less of a problem when your using the pointing reticle.

People trying to bring me down with a M/KB in Battlefield are flies waiting to be swatted... it's not even remotely challenging.

Didn't know there were so many joystick fanboys. Regardless, my point remains... a joystick is not as good for manipulation of a point in a 2-dimensional plane. Don't know why that is so hard to grasp. Try using your joystick as a mouse and maybe you will understand.

I'm not saying it's superior to a joystick in every game. Don't even know why I'm bothering to post as I actually don't care about this even one iota... curious as to why people keep skipping over what I said and then talk about how much they own with their awesome joystick.

Didn't know there were so many joystick fanboys. Regardless, my point remains... a joystick is not as good for manipulation of a point in a 2-dimensional plane. Don't know why that is so hard to grasp. Try using your joystick as a mouse and maybe you will understand.

I'm not saying it's superior to a joystick in every game. Don't even know why I'm bothering to post as I actually don't care about this even one iota... curious as to why people keep skipping over what I said and then talk about how much they own with their awesome joystick.

I'm not convinced you even know what your point is, you just change it when you think someone disagrees with you. See your first post: "The only instance this wouldn't be true is if the developers took it upon themselves to neuter the advantages of a mouse/kb."

In reality, mouse/kb only has the advantage when the game has been reduced so much that maneuverability has no advantage, and aiming is all that matters.

If WT plays like the old 1942 arcade game of course mouse will have an advantage, but it's also not really a flight game, it's pretty much an FPS where they've painted the ground farther away.

I don't know why it's so hard to grasp the difference between the two. No one is considering using their joystick as their mouse.

I'm not convinced you even know what your point is, you just change it when you think someone disagrees with you. See your first post: "The only instance this wouldn't be true is if the developers took it upon themselves to neuter the advantages of a mouse/kb."

In reality, mouse/kb only has the advantage when the game has been reduced so much that maneuverability has no advantage, and aiming is all that matters.

If WT plays like the old 1942 arcade game of course mouse will have an advantage, but it's also not really a flight game, it's pretty much an FPS where they've painted the ground farther away.

I don't know why it's so hard to grasp the difference between the two. No one is considering using their joystick as their mouse.

My point never changed. You seem pretty confused. That's alright, I can see that as a fellow fanboy, rational thinking isn't your forte. I would suggest that you try not being so offended by logic & reason. This argument is dumb, so I'll leave you to it.

Pretty much this. Not to piss on Battlefield (or similar games) fans, but it is as much of a flight game as Call of Duty 2 was a vehicle game (there was a 2 minute on rails vehicle section). If a game attempts to do flight even somewhat well, a mouse/keyboard is a terrible control device. This is fact. Is World of Planes such a game? I doubt it going by the videos.

For other games and general computer usage a mouse/keyboard is better. No one argued otherwise.

Random comment. Modern sticks like those on the F-16 move less than a inch.

Believe it or not knowing what maneuvers to perform and when is actually the only reliable way to win dogfights in wowp. I've been playing it long enough and can say with confidence that the game does have some simulation aspects in that real world maneuvers do work the way they are supposed to. The biggest differences between wowp and a flight sim like IL2 are that you loose far less speed in a turn than you realistically would and that aircraft can climb far faster with out stalling at an unrealistic angle.

It helps to think of the game more as sort of a comic book take on dog fighting than anything else. Its like the characteristics of each plane are just amplified to make them more obvious. Again, if you're into hardcore flight sims you probably want to avoid it. This is the sort of game you can just jump into for fifteen minutes or a half an hour and have fun with some friends on randomly.

Wtb Fighter Ace back from the dead. RIP

WEF_DPAngel_LED / Damned _Vance_

Believe it or not knowing what maneuvers to perform and when is actually the only reliable way to win dogfights in wowp. I've been playing it long enough and can say with confidence that the game does have some simulation aspects in that real world maneuvers do work the way they are supposed to. The biggest differences between wowp and a flight sim like IL2 are that you loose far less speed in a turn than you realistically would and that aircraft can climb far faster with out stalling at an unrealistic angle.

It helps to think of the game more as sort of a comic book take on dog fighting than anything else. Its like the characteristics of each plane are just amplified to make them more obvious. Again, if you're into hardcore flight sims you probably want to avoid it. This is the sort of game you can just jump into for fifteen minutes or a half an hour and have fun with some friends on randomly.

hardly some of the aircraft are out right wrong
the Spitfire should be a hell of climber since all that matters in a climb is power to weight

stalls are silly and far to clean for warbirds
and you cant do things like spins or snap rolls since the only stall modeled is do to low airspeed and not AoA which AoA has ZERO effect on said silly stall model

then there is insane ballistics model that need to just be replaced...

and thats be for i even start to list the programing bugs

hardly some of the aircraft are out right wrong
the Spitfire should be a hell of climber since all that matters in a climb is power to weight

stalls are silly and far to clean for warbirds
and you cant do things like spins or snap rolls since the only stall modeled is do to low airspeed and not AoA which AoA has ZERO effect on said silly stall model

then there is insane ballistics model that need to just be replaced...

and thats be for i even start to list the programing bugs

Like i said they're like comic book versions of the real world equivalents. I understand why they didnt put snap rolls in the game. I remember the experiences I had when I first got into CFS's with my joystick not set up right. Snap rolling constantly and not knowing what the hell was going on until I asked a more experienced guy for help. I think most people who have never touched a flight sim would probably come into the game and just WTFOMFG quit before they got the hang. The game is shooting for mass appeal for sure. As far as the stalling issues, they have been constantly evolving. I know they will find some balance with it at some point but they definitely haven't yet like I mentioned.

they just did a massive update to the beta, and it seems like aiming and aiming speed has gone to shiet compared to how it was, or it was just too easy before

they just did a massive update to the beta, and it seems like aiming and aiming speed has gone to shiet compared to how it was, or it was just too easy before

there was an "auto aim"
basically any bullets that came near the aircraft where sucked to it
they tuned that effect down and upped the spray a bit

the more i play it the more i think the devs have never even sat in ANY kind of aircraft be for let alone know any thing about warbirds other then whats on Wiki

WoT is awesome, WoWP is total fail. Doubt that it will take off and have any significant number of players. Just sucks too much.

Using a mouse in any form to actually control a plane in a simulator is beyond retarded.

Like i said they're like comic book versions of the real world equivalents. I understand why they didnt put snap rolls in the game. I remember the experiences I had when I first got into CFS's with my joystick not set up right. Snap rolling constantly and not knowing what the hell was going on until I asked a more experienced guy for help. I think most people who have never touched a flight sim would probably come into the game and just WTFOMFG quit before they got the hang. The game is shooting for mass appeal for sure. As far as the stalling issues, they have been constantly evolving. I know they will find some balance with it at some point but they definitely haven't yet like I mentioned.

Well, given how World of Tanks is this is not surprising. If you're going for mass appeal, most people are unwilling to spend $150+ for a HOTAS setup, then a Track IR, and maybe some pedals. Everyone has a mouse/keyboard, so if you're going for mass appeal then you're going to have to make your game work well with those. And if you do that and your game is about controlling planes... well, the flight characteristics won't be anything like the real thing. :p

War Thunder does a decent job on the more realistic modes, and it looks and runs great. I am just not a fan of the MMO concept so can't get into it.

thats the thing with this game it sucks if your a sim fan and its to hard for the tank players

Good news is with the game going live, it has almost triple'd it's use base, saw it up to just over 1,800 people playing earlier, makes for much faster games.

Using a mouse in any form to actually control a plane in a simulator is beyond retarded.

Accept this is an arcade shooter NOT a simulator. There hasn't been a proper flight simulator made in years......

Anyways I just found out about this game, I've been playing War Thunder for awhile now, I'll give this one a try, although I wasn't too impressed with World of Tanks.

I'll give this one a try, although I wasn't too impressed with World of Tanks.

I just filled out a WoWP survey they sent me so this is fresh on my mind. WoT is significantly better than WoWP because in Tanks tactics actually matter as both sides are able to take advantage of the terrain. Knowledge of the terrain is everything in WoT, you know where to hull-down so only your turret sticks out, you know how far you can approach on a slope because the enemy doesn't have enough gun depression to actually hit you, you know which key choke-points to hold, you know where to take potshots because TDs/Scouts tend to hide there, etc. etc.

In WoWP none of that matters. Yes, you have canyons that can be used for dogfighting but ultimately it is an arcade game where tactics just don't matter much, if at all.

Accept this is an arcade shooter NOT a simulator. There hasn't been a proper flight simulator made in years......

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/warthog/

http://riseofflight.com/en

And if you're into WWII, you can pre-order the Early Access for this:
http://il2sturmovik.com/about/

Or wait a bit longer and see how this pans out:
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/dcs_wwii_developers_announce/

Not what I would call a saturated market, but there are at least two nice options that have been updated just weeks ago and two other ones that will be out in the next year or so.

Back