Wow... XL1800XL already down to 399.00

They're getting there. I can still pick up a 7800GT for $300-$350. I need a little more incentive. :)

SPARTAN VI said:
They're getting there. I can still pick up a 7800GT for $300-$350. I need a little more incentive. :)
Incentive is the IQ improvments! Speed is about the same. Now that we have crossfire boards available, its time to ROCK.

R1ckCa1n said:
Incentive is the IQ improvments! Speed is about the same. Now that we have crossfire boards available, its time to ROCK.

Haha, buy one of those and I'll barely have enough money to feed myself. I'll be eating my fingernails for a week. :D

Also x1800xl will better the 7800gt's performance with a few good driver updates (opinion). Being a totally new core architecture should allow for some great performance increases from the drives.

What kind of overclocks are x1800xl users getting on air? I haven't hear much.

gotta be 300-350 to really compete heads up with the 7800GT.

However, like others said, its getting there.

Couple dollars cheaper and I would buy it.

R1ckCa1n said:

Available where, I've been looking and haven't found any.

If ATI brings it out in AGP format than they've got my money. Otherwise, I'll be waiting a while before I buy a new video card.

you'll have to up the voltage (which i guess you can do on the drivers now?!)

i'm not sure if you can get a stable +125mhz OC on the core with out pushing it closer to what the XT is using

ClearM4 said:
Also x1800xl will better the 7800gt's performance with a few good driver updates (opinion). Being a totally new core architecture should allow for some great performance increases from the drives.

What kind of overclocks are x1800xl users getting on air? I haven't hear much.
I too believe that the X1800 will get much better with a few driver updates. From what I have read, the driver team has not even begun to unleash the new architecture.

I had a X1800 and could overclock to 575 core 550 memory without a hitch. This has 1.4ns ram so 1400 on air will be no problem IMHO. I invision them getting 600+ core and 1400+ memory. Remember the X1800XL is not handicaped like the 7800GT (less pipes) so these might be the next 9500Pro ;)

SPARTAN VI said:
Damn, $200+ for a motherboard. Are SLI boards this expensive?
not all of them. my premium was $160 from newegg, so a good SLI board can be had for quite a bit under $200

i think the x1800xl is going to come out and whip up on hte GT. just like the 6800GT did to the X800Pro a year and half ago. once these go under $350, im buying one. HDR+AA = teh awesome

Yeah, I'm thinking that the 5.11s or 5.12s will have a massive performance boost for the X1800XL :D

SPARTAN VI said:
Thought that was only a problem in FarCry? Nvidia cant do HDR & AA in any game?
no. it cant. theyre both done in the frame buffer and the way it renders the frames makes it unable to use AA and EXRHDR at the same time

lithium726 said:
no. it cant. theyre both done in the frame buffer and the way it renders the frames makes it unable to use AA and EXRHDR at the same time

Ahaha, is that a software related?

SPARTAN VI said:
Well, damn. Now that I'm playing DoD:S with HDR and AA, I don't think I can switch to nvidia, anymore. :p

The method that they use in the source engine is done using SM2 shaders so it works with any hardware that supports SM2. Farcry and SC:CT use a different method which requires hardware blending and nVidia hardware isn't capable of applying AA while using this blending feature.

its impossible for nvidia to use AA with FP16 HDR with their current hardware, only the current x1800 (and cards based off of its core) can use AA with FP16 HDR - regardless it looks like with that implementation you'll get single digits in the FPS count, still cool you can do it

the HDR in dod:s can be displayed using a 9800pro(FP8?), personally i think both can look the same but obviously the FP16 has a broader range

SPARTAN VI said:
Well, damn. Now that I'm playing DoD:S with HDR and AA, I don't think I can switch to nvidia, anymore. :p

No actually any card from ATI and Nvidia can do HDR and AA at the same time on the Source engine. I think how Valve designed HDR for the Source engine, that both Nvidia and ATI can do HDR and AA.

Lazy_Moron said:
No actually any card from ATI and Nvidia can do HDR and AA at the same time on the Source engine. I think how Valve designed HDR for the Source engine, that both Nvidia and ATI can do HDR and AA.
heh, we're talking about different kinds of HDR here. OPEN EXR FP32 HDR, like the kind in far cry, cannot be used with AA. period. ATI cards cant even do it (x800/50 series)

HL2 uses the older kind of HDR... HDR just means high dynamic range lighting, its been around a while.

lithium726 said:
heh, we're talking about different kinds of HDR here. OPEN EXR FP32 HDR, like the kind in far cry, cannot be used with AA. period. ATI cards cant even do it (x800/50 series)

HL2 uses the older kind of HDR... HDR just means high dynamic range lighting, its been around a while.

I hope I'm making even a little sense by asking this.. but- do you know that one HDR application that was floating around the web around last year? Specifically, the one where you manipulate the environment, the object (a skull, twisty thing, pot, marbles, etc), and the material the object is made of. You can even pump the AA all the way up to 16xAA. Not I know nvidia cards can do that, since I was using a 6600GT at the time.

Now whatever version of HDR that was using, FP8 or what not, it looked damn good. Is there any significant difference between the different HDR rendering methods?

yes, thats called RTHDRIBL

and yes, there is. the HDR in far cry is more realistic than anything yet, IMO. Unfortuantly, it takes a good chunk of performance out of the 6-series of cards... even at 12x10 with no AA, since you cant use it, i was seeing FPS in the 20's where theyre normally in the 60's with it off and no AA

Trimlock said:
its impossible for nvidia to use AA with FP16 HDR with their current hardware, only the current x1800 (and cards based off of its core) can use AA with FP16 HDR - regardless it looks like with that implementation you'll get single digits in the FPS count, still cool you can do it

Have you seen the benches for it? If so could you please link them.

no it was just hypothetical

i believe we are waiting for a driver with this function in it to be able to use that option

SPARTAN VI said:
Haha, buy one of those and I'll barely have enough money to feed myself. I'll be eating my fingernails for a week. :D
calcium is good for yah.

well its not ATI or nvidia lowering the price, the XL's are still msrp'd at $450

unless ATI is getting these to vendors faster and cheaper, i believe this is completely up to the seller

SPARTAN VI said:
Thought that was only a problem in FarCry? Nvidia cant do HDR & AA in any game?

Nope, Nvidia can't do MSAA+HDR - it's a hardware limitation. Although some developers may choose to do shader AA like the Luna demo but that's highly unlikely.

The GT is down to $299 so the XL still has some catching up to do but the prices seem to be falling pretty quickly.

trinibwoy said:
The GT is down to $299 so the XL still has some catching up to do but the prices seem to be falling pretty quickly.

Just a little faster, then I can get my hands on a X1800XL. I'm extremely close to switching back to nvidia.

Back