WoW updater never stopped downloading

dandragonrage

[H]F Junkie
So maybe 5-6 days ago I opened WoW and it wanted to download YET ANOTHER tools update. It wasn't finished after like 2 days. Went into the connection info and it said it had downloaded over 100GB, checked my Untangle reports and it sure had. It wasn't even finished. Actually, it hadn't moved at all. It was still downloading at a constant rate of over 1MB/s. Because 100GB isn't good enough for them, I guess!

WTF, Blizzard? Your tools download forever. You're requiring me to turn off my local and Untangle antivirus stuff every time you update, even though nothing is actually catching a virus. Your software just requires it to be off anyway or I get a crash to desktop.

Someone remind me why I give Blizzard any of my money. I have almost no bandwidth remaining this month.

Last edited:
Yeah, I stopped playing when WoW wouldn't even load after updating. I tried repair and everything except clean install because I don't want to redownload everything.

Yeah, I stopped playing when WoW wouldn't even load after updating. I tried repair and everything except clean install because I don't want to redownload everything.

Likely the antivirus thing. BTW, I tried Avira, MSE and my current Avast. ClamAV in Untangle also makes WoW crash during update periods. None of them were even detecting a virus.

Likely the antivirus thing. BTW, I tried Avira, MSE and my current Avast. ClamAV in Untangle also makes WoW crash during update periods. None of them were even detecting a virus.
For me, it updated, even the log says it completed, but when you boot into WoW and log in, it says I need to patch to the latest one. Then it downloads and "patches", but gives me the same message. And from that WoWLauncher the "Play" button is greyed out.

Is this a new patch for Cata tonight that is hosing up people?

There's something wrong with your WoW installation or whatever that Untangle crap is.
There was tools patch late last week, but it was only 15 megabytes.

The whole 4.0.x set of patches was about 5 gigabytes.

Is this a new patch for Cata tonight that is hosing up people?

No, all Cataclysm patch set should be installed already. If anything, there may be a very minor patch tonight to enable zoning into new places, etc. for people who have not purchased the digital download and there should be no patch required for people who did.

I just updated from 3.3.X to 4.0. The download was 100% complete but wasn't starting the updater.exe to install the new files. I tried restarting WoW and the Dowloader several times but it would not complete the torrent. Finally I went into the folder contain updates renamed every file pertaining to torrent that had ".part" at the end to its proper file/extension name and manually ran the updater. I am now at 4.0.0 but I still have to DL a lot before I can play...

I just updated from 3.3.X to 4.0.

Instead of updating from 3.3.x to 4.0.x you can simply download the 4.0.x installer. It should be just about the same size and no hour-long patching is required.

There's something wrong with your WoW installation

Ran a repair, was fine.

or whatever that Untangle crap is..

Go tell the networking section here that Untangle is crap and you'll get laughed off of the board.

Blizzard is in the wrong here so feel free to take your fanboying elsewhere. I bought WoW the day it came out and for a long time Blizzard was my favorite game company, but I just can't think of a single good point about them of late.

My tools patched last week and then it wanted to patch again and yes it was 15MB but yet it downloaded over 100GB.

My tools patched last week and then it wanted to patch again and yes it was 15MB but yet it downloaded over 100GB.

Lets do a hypothetical analysis here.
The updater tries to download some .exes, there antivirus prevents it from being saved, the updater tried to download it again, and again and 1000 more times.

You may wanna check the updater logs or something before blaming Blizzard.

Also you may wanna check Untangle forums for gems like this:
http://forums.untangle.com/virus-blocker/18167-untangle-av-blocking-world-warcraft-4-x.html

This sounds like classic Blizzard downloader behavior when a firewall or antivirus blocks only a portion of what it's downloading. I hate to break it to you, but it's not Blizzard. Maybe we should go tell them that Untangle is crap.... at letting you play WoW at work.

Yeah, but here's the thing. Knowing that the AVs made WoW crashed, I completely disabled Untangle's ClamAV and I told my Avast to turn off until reboot (very convenient options Avast has: disable for 10m, 1h, 'til reboot or permanently. Useful (necessary) for WoW). They are separate issues.

I run Untangle at home, bro. We use Cisco at work and I'm not in charge of it. A bunch of us that frequent the networking forum use Untangle/Astaro/etc. at home. I use it because I have roommates that fail at the internet so I try to do what I can to keep them from screwing up too badly.

Wait, you have Untangle AND Avast?? Uhhh...You're not supposed to have more than one AV installed at one time.

Honestly, why everyone doesn't just switch to MSE is beyond me. MSE+Not being an idiot=Best non-intrusive virus protection ever.

Uh, it's one AV per machine, and Untangle is not on my desktop. It's a full UTM routing package. So I am running one AV per machine here. Just that ClamAV scans my network traffic.

I did try MSE. I prefer Avast. The only better thing about MSE, in my opinion, is the set-it-and-forget-it factor. I install it for family members because I don't want to have to walk them through renewing the Avast license (or reinstall Avira) after a year.

Back