WOW!!! TLC 55" THX Certified Game Mode VVR + ALLM 120hz 1440p HDR 1000 Nits MiniLED Roku eARC Alexa and Google Voice Control ( IN STOCK ) $649

Assuming you mean VRR (variable refresh rate) instead of VVR? It was my impression that variable refresh rate (vrr) == freesync.

Assuming you mean VRR (variable refresh rate) instead of VVR? It was my impression that variable refresh rate (vrr) == freesync.
[/QUOTE

Your one and only comment was ..... to correct an abbrevation? Dude, seriously. Please, please don't do that to people.

I wouldn't get a TCL unless you got it from BB with an extended warranty. TCLs have great picture/features for the money but they have the worst reliability out of any display brand I have ever owned.

Im sure these sets are amazing. I have one of the prior year models, the 65" 65r617 from last year and its incredible for HDR gaming on the Xbox One X and what not. These will be even better for the upcoming PS5 and Xbox Series. For the money, you cant beat it.

Looks good for the price. Still waiting on HDMI 2.1, I'll see what's out when XSX/PS5 hit.

Mini-LED is more marketing than reality. TCL 8 series Mini-LED had ~1000 zones. This screen has 128 zones. 100 zones what TCL called conventional FALD in their 8 series marketing.

Also TCL has the worse FALD algorithms, and its disabled in game mode anyway.

Really I wouldn't bother with FALD. Get a set with the best native contrast you can get, and skip the FALD artifacts.

No, it was to point out that VRR == freesync.... Fixing the abbreviation was just a bonus.

Right. If the TV has VRR then it technically supports Freesync/Gsync. It's just that TCL did not work with AMD to officially certify the TV as a Freesync display or with nvidia to certify it as a Gsync display.

Right. If the TV has VRR then it technically supports Freesync/Gsync. It's just that TCL did not work with AMD to officially certify the TV as a Freesync display or with nvidia to certify it as a Gsync display.

Not sure about that. AFAIK, the HDMI official 2.1 spec VRR is different from the Freesync extension to HDMI that AMD implemented.

AMD/NVidia will likely support the official HDMI 2.1 VRR eventually.

Not sure about that. AFAIK, the HDMI official 2.1 spec VRR is different from the Freesync extension to HDMI that AMD implemented.

What about the LG CX then? Does that TV have the Freesync extention to HDMI? Because it now supports Freesync Premium and as far as I'm aware that TV only has HDMI VRR.

What about the LG CX then? Does that TV have the Freesync extention to HDMI? Because it now supports Freesync Premium and as far as I'm aware that TV only has HDMI VRR.

I would bet they just added specific AMD solution.

The HDMI side is murky. For a while it worked specifically only with NVidia GPUs, which was probably another non standard HDMI solution.

I would bet they just added specific AMD solution.

The HDMI side is murky. For a while it worked specifically only with NVidia GPUs, which was probably another non standard HDMI solution.

Right then. I guess TCL may not necessarily have to work with AMD to make their TV's officially Freesync certified if they can just hack it in like LG, but regardless having VRR support means that they can technically support Freesync should they choose to.

Yeah, i'm not 100% positive, the screen doesn't support HDMI 2.1, so I'm not sure why it's saying VRR support since that's a 2.1 spec term. I was under the impression that freesync was just AMD's name for implementing the HDMI VRR spec that they created prior to 2.1. I could be mistaken, hence I left it somewhat open earlier as it seems a little confusing.

As far as I know, FreeSync is based on (or is basically a rebrand of) VESA AdaptiveSync, which works over DisplayPort.

G-Sync Compatible also works over DisplayPort and adheres to the VESA standard.

VRR is the brand name for the the HDMI implementation of AdpativeSync, which is official in HDMI 2.1.

Existing sync technologies over HDMI are not standardized (prior to HDMI 2.1) so who knows what they hacked in.

The real issue with TCL TV's is how atrociously slow their VA panels are + overshoot galore in game mode.

The real issue with TCL TV's is how atrociously slow their VA panels are + overshoot galore in game mode.

The fact that this has so many LED's and yet so few dimming zones is my main concern. The new PG27UQ replacement has the same issue where it up's the LED count by quite a bit yet barely increases the number of local dimming zones. It seems like applying FALD to thousands of LEDs is just not doable right now. I would be really surprised if the "1 million+ dimming zone" LCD from Innolux ever makes it into production. Oh well, OLED FTW!

Last edited:
The fact that is has so many LED's and yet so few dimming zones is my main concern. The new PG27UQ replacement has the same issue where it up's the LED count by quite a bit yet barely increases the number of local dimming zones. It seems like applying FALD to thousands of LEDs is just not doable right now. I would be really surprised if the "1 million+ dimming zone" LCD from Innolux ever makes it into production. Oh well, OLED FTW!

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't hold by breath on that 1 Million zone LED FALD.

Back