Wow this is great, more games should be like this!

Indeed it is a great idea, though I have trouble with the notion that Dust 514's primary platform should not be PC. Especially when it comes to those most interested in the EVE connection, those players should like to be fellow PC owners who have or at least are familiar with EVE. Putting it on PS3 exclusively ties down the amount of players who would otherwise be interested and is only slightly less draconian in licensing when it comes to any eventual PC version than putting it on X360. I've been overwhelmed with how so many recent games have been handicapped for the sheer reason that they're multiplatform these days (ie. Amalur Reckoning can't patch on PC, which could have multiple fixes etc... and is already ready, until they get a patch that goes through the complete vetting process for X360 and PS3).

To be completely honest, I feel that the proprietary "You buy it, but you don't own it" gaming console of the last generation has entirely worn out is welcome and I would like to see them all go the way of the dodo, to be replaced by PC-based development on open technologies and standards, including a new unencumbered, open standard allowing for a simple alphanumeric rating of hardware proficiency industry wide, regarding gaming. I am too bloody tired of watching consoles ruin nearly everything they touch by making it more proprietary and less available.

Yea that's just stupid. What if someone wanted to play both? What fun are Dust players REALLY going to have knowing that they're just part of some "pc mmo" world?

Good idea, but it ALL should should have been on PC

Well I am a LONG time vet of EVE Online. And I wanted to play Dust514 and I still might buy a PS3 to play it, even though I DESPISE FPS on substandard console shit. But I know why it's not going to be on PC, it's a no brainer. FPS and mouse and keyboard, there is no way a console+gamepad is going to compete with it. What you will see is a large group of veteran EVE players like myself form corporations and just grief and kill every console buttboy there is. You know it, I know it, CCP knows it. It's also why CS:GO has dropped the linking between PC and console players (at least from what I last read).

But yeah, this game and it's linking to a MMO has been in the news for over a year now :). Also, EVE Fanfest is happening today through the weekend where they are going to reveal a shitload of stuff.

http://fanfest.eveonline.com/en/events/evetv

Also check out all of the trailers and stuff from the official CCP youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CCPGAMES

It says images on left and right as well as a video, but i don't see anything. It sounds like C&C:Renegade and Red Alert linking together tho.

Last edited:
It says in one of the comments that the advantage of the PC is the overpowered one shot kill to the head and it gets mitigated when they make it so that it takes more hits to kill someone.

I'm not really sure how he came to that conclusion because that would mean if you'll need to make three headshots in a row to kill someone, that would put the PC in even more advantage.

seems backwards:

the skilled PC shooter controls the mass nuking while the console has the FPS.

sorta like giving a 10 year old a surgeons knife and a surgeon the nuke everything button

So, can the EVE players just fly willy nilly around the planets, bomb the shit out of them, and just kill every console player out there? On some level, that would have been amazingly entertaining. For the EVE players.

seems backwards:

the skilled PC shooter controls the mass nuking while the console has the FPS.

sorta like giving a 10 year old a surgeons knife and a surgeon the nuke everything button

i agree, it's backwards to me. i find eve to be too boring to play for me (played beta into launch and returned from time to time), but i might have had interest in dust if it was on the pc.

Forget about being backwards as a console fps, this is a pc space game where you can't directly fly your ship. Imagine WoW with even less interaction no wasd walking just click on map and say go here. Click on enemy, click attack.

Forget about being backwards as a console fps, this is a pc space game where you can't directly fly your ship. Imagine WoW with even less interaction no wasd walking just click on map and say go here. Click on enemy, click attack.

Ideally, EVE combat is about preparation, intel, and math (ie. "theorycrafting").

In practice, it works out to who's got the bigger blob of ships. :(

Sounds like you've never played the game since that's not true.
Ideally, EVE combat is about preparation, intel, and math (ie. "theorycrafting").

Skill takes a huge part of it, not blobbing. The group I fly with regularly goes up against fleets many times our size and we usually come out on top.

So, it's WoW without breaking my keyboard by constantly spamming a single button? Sign me up.

Sounds like you've never played the game since that's not true.

I played a free trial awhile ago and you definitely can't control the ship. I mean joystick control would be ideal but it doesn't even have a freelancer type keyboard mouse control. It's all done through click orders. Are you saying that is not the case anymore?

It's still mouse based, but you've always been able to select a vector that you want your ship to take just by clicking in the appropriate direction. Can change it as often as you like (you can also orbit things at any range you'd like and keep things in proximity/range as well). The trial really doesn't give enough time to give an impression of everything and you probably didn't experience any PVP.

I would have played Dust...but I do not enjoy consoles. And EVE takes too much time for me but I really wanted to give the devs my business. Ah well..Planetside is coming as well.

I can't play fps with a controller. I need a mouse keyboard combo to win.

I don't need it to win, I just find it counter intuitive to play the game with a control pad. It just doesn't feel natural and no where near as accurate.

Unless of course JSt0rm, your trying to be sarcastic in saying that one "needs" a keyboard and mouse, and is equivalent to a I WIN button or something that takes no skill? Because your last word in that sentence makes me think that's what you were trying to get across.

if it was for PC i would try it out, only use my ps3 for blurays lol

if they every come out with a PC ver ill give it a shot good idea though

I don't need it to win, I just find it counter intuitive to play the game with a control pad. It just doesn't feel natural and no where near as accurate.

Unless of course JSt0rm, your trying to be sarcastic in saying that one "needs" a keyboard and mouse, and is equivalent to a I WIN button or something that takes no skill? Because your last word in that sentence makes me think that's what you were trying to get across.

What? KB/M may as well be an I WIN button compared to a controller in FPS.

This being on consoles just makes no sense. Eve is like the exact opposite of a typical console game and attracts the exact opposite of the typical console gamer.

eve combat is mostly this: use whatever is getting love from ccp, a few clicks, and tons of sitting in your chair watching a 2d background.

Good thing Dust514 will support keyboard and mouse then.

Whoooooow....it does? Can you link that? If so, then I think I might be buying me a PS3 then.....:eek:

EDIT: I know I can use a keyboard+mouse for the PS3, but not sure about the game.

OK, looks like I am gonna be getting a PS3 now :)

Oh, the tears I am going to cause with the control pad users....I am starting to get a major boner right now.

Yea that's just stupid. What if someone wanted to play both? What fun are Dust players REALLY going to have knowing that they're just part of some "pc mmo" world?

Good idea, but it ALL should should have been on PC

Agreed. Still a cool idea.

EVE ..where community leaders encourage people to commit suicide.

If someone is that messed up that they would commit suicide over being killed in a game, then they have way more massive issues. I despise goons on principle, but someone has to be messed up if they are thinking of ending their life because they lost a bunch of pixels. Hell, if you can't handle a virtual world, you def can't handle the real world.

It will be funny when to see if there actually is an advantage using KB/M over game pads.

Unless gamepad users have aim assist. And Microsoft was going to do this with one of their games years ago, but they stopped it after seeing the K+M crowd annihilate the gamepad users every time.

http://www.techspot.com/news/39738-microsoft-killed-cross-platform-project-because-pc-gamers-wrecked-console-gamers.html

Of course, it's just hearsay. But we all know it's true ;). Hell, from what I last read, they canceled the Counter Strike: GO cross platform because of the same issue. Well no shit sherlock.

One of the comments from another article reporting the same story:
Back in the day, I personally remember getting pwned when playing quake3 on the Dreamcast system. I asked my opponent why i couldnt kill him. He replied, "Cuzz I use the keyboard and mouse." I then immediately went out and bought the keyboard and mouse for the dreamcast system!! Players would then ask me to leave the server because they knew mouses dominated. Dreamcast was the last console I bought. Until I find the next console that fully supports a keyboard and mouse, I will continue to be a PC gamer.

Had no idea you could use a keyboard/mouse on the Dreamcast. Anyone confirm that?

So, you'd rather give a "nuke everything" button to a 10 year old? I'd trust a doctor with that, the ten year old with a knife I'd just swat away if he was being dangerous.

Of course, I know what you mean, just playing with ya ;)

I think this idea of two games being connected is great, and I'd love to see more. Like MMO games where you play in a group of the various bad guys trying to take down one good guy. Like a Single vs MMO game. The player controlling the end-boss would be "rewarded" to the best baddy player. That would be fun IMO, has anyone tried doing that?

Well considering this is the first time that 2 games on 2 different platforms are being connected and influencing each other, I would think not Youn. At least to my knowledge. But I need to start looking for a used PS3.

Well considering this is the first time that 2 games on 2 different platforms are being connected and influencing each other, I would think not Youn. At least to my knowledge. But I need to start looking for a used PS3.

Only been a dozen or so that have done this between psp and ps3.

Back