WoW: TBC Sells 2.4 Million In One Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
With the insane popularity of World Of Warcraft, it should come as no surprise that the expansion pack sold 2.4 million copies in 24 hours. Amazing.

Day-one sales totals on both continents were similar, with an estimated total of nearly 1.2 million copies sold on the first day in North America and an estimated total of more than 1.1 million copies sold in Europe within the first 24 hours of launch.

That's a lot of trouble just for a toy. Maybe he'll just return it and build a real computer.

I baught one of those 2.4 million copies! :)

Its amazing. They did an incredible job with it. The servers have been stable, mostly lag free (except for day one when EVERYONE was in the same area), the instances are fun and refreshing, there is an abundance of quests to complete, and I am thoroughly enjoying myself.

I can't wait to see where things go! I'm very much looking forward to the future stuff.

2 copies here. When I went in to pick mine up some poor guy walked in asking for a copy, and when he responded "No" to the preorder question he was borderline laughed at.

I felt bad for the poor the guy.

Of course, our Wal-mart had about 200 copies at launch as well.

Holy crap, I sure wish I was the lead developer of WOW right now... damn.

The fact that all of those 2.4 million players were able to install the game and play with little to no issues amazes me more. It was a chaotic day in the world of warcraft, and I only saw mild latency issues. Does anyone have the specs on Blizzards servers? I would love to know how many acres of rack space they use up :)

The fact that all of those 2.4 million players were able to install the game and play with little to no issues amazes me more.

I doubt all 2.4 million were installed and played immediately after purchase.

Count me in for 2 of the 2.4 million. What was the previous record?
It was previously set by, guess who, Blizzard for, guess what, WoW. Not sure of the 24 hour time period, but it sold 400,000 in the first 30 days, smashing sales records for a single game, for it's entire life being sold. The previous record was held by one of the Star Wars games at like 150-200,000 units.
Holy crap, I sure wish I was the lead developer of WOW right now... damn.
I think they made $1 Billion, yes, Billion last year.

Yup, Blizzard will never have to worry about being poor ever again, but server issues, almost guarenteed.

ooops, forgot you can't edit your posts here.

Anyway, I forgot to mention that they really need more bandwidth than anything else.

I doubt all 2.4 million were installed and played immediately after purchase.

Something tells me that I don't believe that. Knowing wow addicts, I woudln't be suprised if they had thier CDRom trays open and doors unlocked so when they return from the store they can whip that sucker in the tray ASAP.

So I'm a retard and respond to the wrong story. :confused:

:p Haha. I had to laugh. It's funny when people catch themselves. I still don't understand how it happens though.

I'm glad WoW didn't suck me in. I prefer the RP part of RPG. I tried WoW on a free trial and whaddya know, after a few days it was nothing but a slayfest and questing. Little socializing and way too much OMG LEWTS speak, etc. And from what I hear, you have to join a guild to get good equipment and such.

I love the Diablo series though. I would be all over Diablo III and subsequent expansions :p

Blizzard can eat my ass.. They will no longer get money from me..
Untill they come out with StarCraft 2....

Count my family for 1 of those, and 2 more a few days later. They did a great job! The fun is back!!!!

Something tells me that I don't believe that. Knowing wow addicts, I woudln't be suprised if they had thier CDRom trays open and doors unlocked so when they return from the store they can whip that sucker in the tray ASAP.

Yeah I was thinking those thoughts too, but I can also bet that many copies were purchased online.

Yeah I was thinking those thoughts too, but I can also bet that many copies were purchased online.

And last I checked there is no same day delivery ;)

Unless they had it put on greyhound...

WoW brings out mixed feelings in me. I used to play when it first came out but when I realized that I was grinding away on these 40man raids for a stupid stat boost that was fairly insignificant, and my guild was a shathole of brats and people with an IQ of 2, I decided the game wasnt for me anymore. I disbanded my guild (haha, they couldnt get past the first bridge in MC without me orgnaizing it, so I heard the day after on the phone) and foreswore ever playing WoW again.

On the other hand, with WoW trailblazing and setting massive records, it has caught many eyes on Wall Street about just how big a decently developed computer game can become. TO ahve a billion dollar a year cash cow plus the initial sales, with what amounts to a tiny staff compared to more traditional industries. I am hoping it brings more investment and interest into the game industry. The genral direction the last few e\years has been to leave PCs for the console market; given how tired and worn out many of these game companies were, I cant say I miss them much. I would like to see new talent enter the fray and having WoW as an example of how big the market can be, helps. I recall when people thought 100k MMOs like AC and EQ were big...

I can't believe they did stop the idea for StarCraft 2... StarCraft was AWESOME.

Too bad, probably would never materialize now since services like wow dominates on sales and services. :(

Does Blizzard have any subsidiaries? Maybe they should splinter and create a group just to work on non-WoW stuff. Even if it's a small team, at least dormant stuff would be worked on, no matter how slow the progress.

Does Blizzard have any subsidiaries? Maybe they should splinter and create a group just to work on non-WoW stuff. Even if it's a small team, at least dormant stuff would be worked on, no matter how slow the progress.

I wouldn't doubt they'd do that now as their workforce has tripled (that's right) in the last year. I know their focus is on WoW since that is their cash cow, but they do need to make other games for those of use who either quit WoW or never played it. Man I loved StarCraft. :)

I dont know about odd.. but for the record.. Blizzard has added more FREE content to the game than Sony/Verant ever did in Everquest. Every damn little "upgrade" from sony cost you more money in expansions.. things they said "couldnt be done" then they turn around and push out the communities ideas in expansions.

That being said.. im happy with the expansion for WoW. I had taken a break from the game and came back for the expansion. Im not disapointed. Though.. it makes me laugh a little that the stuff it took me hours and hours to get in 40 man raids are now being replaced with items that drop from trash mobs.

ya BC is fun, and if you have the CE, look at the making of dvd, theres stuff from blizzcon in there including a band called level 60 tauren chiefton or something, so funny hearing a metal type band singing songs about wow.. "I AMM MURLOC RAWR".. and theres a picture gallery of the people who erm.. dressed up for blizzcon as various wow characters.. I'm sorry but that's just kinda sad to me, all dressing up like that.. gaming and RL are such seperate entities to me, once you start melding them together like that you got problems lol :p

I have to chuckle.

i went in to gamestop right near closing the night of the midnight release. The guy behind the counter must have been a huge WoW fan, he kept pushing me to buy it, i laughed at him and pre-ordered vanguard.

*shrug* i played wow to 60, realized it was a mockery of high fantasy (sorry i'm one of those old school types i guess), and was really just playing a mmo diablo in the warcraft world. So it really did nothing for me.

though i am inclined to ask? does it actually make the game any better?

I think the humorous pop culture easter eggs in WoW makes the game all the more enjoyable. They can throw in names like "Haris Pilton <Socialite>" or "Floyd Pinkus <Innkeeper>" without ruining an inch of the game's integrity. And quest names like "I see dead Draenei" or "The Fel and the Furious" just gives the player something to chuckle at while they play away.

What's even more impressive is the graphical design of the environment. Outland is simply beautiful and original, like the skies and clouds of Nagrand at night. It's truly something different from your typical run of the mill medieval game. I have to give my grats to Blizzard for shaping their own unique atmosphere out of the generic Lord of the Rings type of feel it used to be. The key is originality. Whether an overused time era (medieval for example) or overused races (humans, elves, orcs, etc.) all it takes is to put them into a completely different world, and you have yourself something new.

What's even more impressive is the graphical design of the environment.

I have to agree with you there, I haven't even rolled a dranaei toon so i dont know how good their areas look but the BE areas are very artistic, amazing models, textures and use of colors.. All of the other cities pale in comparison to silvermoon, IMO at least..

Back