WoW RealID will now reveal real names on forums, going back retro

I'm pretty neutral on all of this. I can see pros and cons about it. The cons being it you get a bit of annoying harrassment if somebody gets a burr up their butt about something. The pros being that there could be more accountability in some instances as well as making it easier to find people you actually know to game with.

If a current or future workplace uses your posts to decide if you should get or keep a job then you don't want to work there. If a workplace is going to those reaches to keep tabs on people then you're going to be dealing with a lot more when you do get hired. If you don't act like an ass you probably have nothing to worry about and if you are making good points to a group of trolls then it might impress a boss that you can handle that situation. If you're worried about coworkers knowing you game you should probably stop gaming or not let it bother you. If they have streotypes then use yourself as an example and not reinforce those stereotypes. Being ashamed of a hobby isn't really worth doing it. I've gained some great gaming buddies from people who overheard that I play certain games. And no, I don't work in a technology field. I work for a high end jeweler.
I also fail to see how a woman could be stalked more than she otherwise would be capable of being stalked. There are things like facebook and the phone book, as well as being out in public that can lend to being stalked just as easily as a real name on a forum. Say potential stalker is at a convention and people are networking. Stalker overhears woman give out cell phone # a contact. Stalker now has phone number and can derive all kinds of information from that. You're going to tell me you've never said your phone number in conversation in public before, or commented on any details that could lead a stalker to you in the future.

I guess it just depends on how long it takes laws to catch up to reality and that is the bigger issue. People feel vulnerable because we've all be told forever that giving our things like names over the internet is the worst thing you can do. And potentially it can lead to some bad situations. What everybody here needs to do is contact your local, state, and national lawmakers and ask them to get laws in motion to prevent internet stalking. Make it easier for the authorities to intevene when it is neccessary. To update cyber laws to mesh with current non-cyber laws so they can qwork together.

The terms of service require your real name and address, course nothing compels you to not lie except that it may make account recovery more difficult. But as part of the exchange of trust it seems reasonable to expect if you provide your real details they will protect them. I mean, this is a *real* business, not some warez site or spam company.
Lots of sites (Facebook, Yahoo) require your personal information when you register and then gladly share it with anonymous visitors. The smart thing to do is just not to give it.

It definitely makes for accountability.

There's no hiding behind some made up name. If you have to post something with your real name on it, then it's far more likely you'll think twice about what you write.

I'm going to come clean now and reveal my real name.

I'm George Bush.

I don't want to get myself on any federal watch lists by making up a story about stalking you down.

I have no idea who you are nor ever heard of you, I wish you a good day my fellow player.

Until this fiasco nobody would think twice about using their real names to start an account there was no real reason to lie about it.

Well now even using a fake name for a bad idea though. If anyone gets hacked and needs to do an account recovery, you need to fax them photo ID...

Back