WoW players, which is your favorite Plate class ? W, P, or DK ?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
In my 5 years of playing WoW, I seem to like the Plate wearing classes the most for some reason :cool: Out of the three main Plate classes, Warrior, Paladin, and Death Knight, which is your favorite and why ?

So far I have a Night Elf Level 80 Blood-Death Knight, he is a DPS built guy, and kicked major ass leveling up like that, but at end game I am not a huge fan now with the dps.

I also have a Blood Elf Level 72 Paladin, played him Prot with 1hand + shield for first 60 Levels', then switched to Ret with a 2hander the last 12 Levels, and he kicks major ass, and can heal too, but can be a mana whore, which annoys me.

And now I have my first Warrior class, He is Level 60, I got from my Brother who stopped playing last year, and he left the Warrior at 60, and now he is mine :) I am not too sure which way to go with him at this level ? I am getting sort of burned out on DPS style after my DK and Pally are both DPS'ers. I like the talent in Fury Titan Grip that allow two 2 handers :eek: should I go that route ? Or what about a full fledged Prot with 1hander + shield ? Opinions please. This looks like a good guide ? http://www.wowwarrior.net/Leveling.html Saying that from my current Level 60 - 70 Fury is the way to go

Pally

Durable plate healer, mine has almost 28k mana, healing for days. (Although droods are tough to beat)
Ret DPS is hot now with exorcism thrown in there, almost no cooldowns to wait for
Pally AOE tanks with a dirty healer make heroics a breeze.

Pally

Durable plate healer, mine has almost 28k mana, healing for days. (Although droods are tough to beat)
Ret DPS is hot now with exorcism thrown in there, almost no cooldowns to wait for
Pally AOE tanks with a dirty healer make heroics a breeze.

28k mana :eek: WTF ? I assume that is Holy spec ? Never played my Paladin that way, do you sit far back in raid and just heal like a Priest, or actually swing your weapon too in battles ?

I think once my Paladin reaches Level 80, I swill switch him to Prot Tank...that seems to be much more wanted at end game, than just another DPS'er who area dime a dozen.

Will do the same for my Warrior, he is Level 60 now, so will go with Fury and dual wield 2 handers for now, but once 80, will go full Tank too.

Loved my Belf Pally Tank while I was still playing.

Leveled 1-70 Prot was the most fun I had playing the game while leveling. Especially when someone attempts to gank you when you had 10-15 mobs on you.

Really loved tanking raids at 70 and 80, along with soloing pretty much any old world content save most raid bosses.

Hopefully I'll be able to play again and be part of my guilds Arthas kill, but school takes priority atm.
that and I have to get a better internet connection cause mine went to shit back in august and I haven't been able to play in anything below 1k pings since then :(

So for my Level 60 Warrior and Level 72 Paladin, should I go Prot Tank on both ? I am getting sort of sick of DPS'ing, after my 2 DK's I have were both DPS builds, and 2 Rogues, I stopped leveling in the 50's but were both combat DPS'ers too.

But a part of me is very intrigued my the idea of the Warrior tree "Fury" with Titan's Grip that allows two 2 hander's :eek: That sounds too amazing to pass up for a while ? So that would be a DPS style, not a Tank right ?

That guide is outdated. Fury blows until at least ulduar geared. Go arms or prot until 80 then decide which route you want to go.

That guide is outdated. Fury blows until at least ulduar geared. Go arms or prot until 80 then decide which route you want to go.

ok thanks. I will mainly be solo PvE at my current Level 60 in Outlands, and small groups will be my other Brother who is Unholy-dps Death Knight...and a friend who is a Mage. So my Instance dungeons, and any grouping will 99% only be with those two.
So knowing that should my Warrior go Arms with a 2hander or Prot with a 1hander + Shield ?

ok thanks. I will mainly be solo PvE at my current Level 60 in Outlands, and small groups will be my other Brother who is Unholy-dps Death Knight...and a friend who is a Mage. So my Instance dungeons, and any grouping will 99% only be with those two.
So knowing that should my Warrior go Arms with a 2hander or Prot with a 1hander + Shield ?

I personally went Arms until 80. Some say go with arms until 70 and then go prot so you can get picked up in groups real quick for instances tanking. I loved arms and once I got to about 60 I had no problem smashing multiple mobs. Even around 70 I could solo some elites as arms. Not all but some. Retaliation is an amazing skill :)

I personally went Arms until 80. Some say go with arms until 70 and then go prot so you can get picked up in groups real quick for instances tanking. I loved arms and once I got to about 60 I had no problem smashing multiple mobs. Even around 70 I could solo some elites as arms. Not all but some. Retaliation is an amazing skill :)

So Arms-Warrior is 2handers right ? And that plays like a Ret-Paladin or Blood-Death Knight ?
So all gear should be +Str the most ? Not +Stam or +Def ?

If you care about getting pick up groups for dungeons and you're a not a pure DPS class then you should dual-spec your character.

my main is an 80 Blood Elf paladin right now. He's main spec prot off spec holy. In prot gear I've got a little over 37k health unbuffed, and in holy I'm sitting around 22k mana. I LOVE tanking on him. I do not however enjoy healing on him at all. Priest healing I always enjoyed, but the pally healing I just can't get into.

So Arms-Warrior is 2handers right ? And that plays like a Ret-Paladin or Blood-Death Knight ?
So all gear should be +Str the most ? Not +Stam or +Def ?

Yep, yep and yep. Gear with arms won't matter much at 60, what I mean by that is you will be replacing gear left and right so don't worry too much about it. Str, and stam are both fine.

Go on to the wow forums and there will be some good specs in the warrior class forums. It moves pretty fast and is quite fun.

I had a fury warrior in my BC days. Got him up to 68 before I quit playing. I went fury all the way, but i have no idea on whats good for warriors now. I will say though, I never see dps warriors on my realm, all prot.

Unfortunately, the hybrid tax is a bit much for non pure dps classes right now. I've yet to come across another class that is dps comparable to my Arcane Mage. (Pulling 6k dps on Ony 25 with a 2249 gear score)

i have a 43lvl hunter which is fun. i went beast master with him.. i have a 32 lvl frost mage which is fun.ive been doing battlegrounds though .....so i can get a little pvp action and get with my honor points.im leveling up a rogue and priest also. if you solo alot and mainly do pve hunter is fun. sick pet on enemy and pick off with arrows......and laugh lol. watch the enemy run around and your pet eating there ahole out lol.

I have an 80 dual spec ret/prot pally, a 66 ret pally and a 80 DK that I've used as blood and as frost and I like the pally class better. Just more fun to play IMHO :D

I have an 80 dual spec ret/prot pally, a 66 ret pally and a 80 DK that I've used as blood and as frost and I like the pally class better. Just more fun to play IMHO :D

How do you play your Paladin ? 1hander + Shield Tank or 2hander DPS'er ?

I had a fury warrior in my BC days. Got him up to 68 before I quit playing. I went fury all the way, but i have no idea on whats good for warriors now. I will say though, I never see dps warriors on my realm, all prot.

Unfortunately, the hybrid tax is a bit much for non pure dps classes right now. I've yet to come across another class that is dps comparable to my Arcane Mage. (Pulling 6k dps on Ony 25 with a 2249 gear score)

I can pull twice this on my DK. No hybrid tax is fine, considering there really isn't one anymore.

Agreed,
I quit right after dual specs went live. Had/have an 80 holy/ret pally. I've leveled warrior and DK. Pally is my favorite. Just more fun, more flexible.

I don't know what his play style is but even with spec, you should adapt to your situation. When I PvPed I was constantly swapping from 2h to sword and bored depending on what was going on and what roll I needed to fill at that point in the fight.

Generally when I'm prot spec I play 1 hander with shield and tank and when I'm ret spec I 2 hand to DPS. As was mentioned, it really depends on the situation and I try to have gear for both with me when possible so I can switch as needed. Takes up too much room sometimes though and can be a PITA. I'm not geared well on either pally at this point. Only 2 purple items on my 80 and mostly green on my 66. Looking to get 80 on my lower level pally by the end of the year so I can run with some friends and get better gear for instances... ;)

Of course you pulled that DPS. You're only showing the quick whelp phase. In the same log, you only did about 875017 damage to Onyxia, which is pathetic. That would mean a dps of 2128 for the 4.5 minute fight.

lmao.. I didn't even look at that. I did 1.3mil on Ony. (Not to shabby considering I was assigned to whelps during phase2)

Of course you pulled that DPS. You're only showing the quick whelp phase. In the same log, you only did about 875017 damage to Onyxia, which is pathetic. That would mean a dps of 2128 for the 4.5 minute fight.

Quote error, wrong person... :p

It's amazing you even mention this. When said mage was bragging about 6k dps on this fight with a 2.2k gear score it's obvious he was dpsing whelps. He'd never be able to hold that dps with his gear without aoe.

Furthermore 12k isn't out of the question for a dk on this fight. there's tons of WMOs of dk's hitting 14-15k over the span of the fight.

There's DKs hitting nearly 14k for hard mode anub so i fail to see your point.

It's amazing you even mention this. When said mage was bragging about 6k dps on this fight with a 2.2k gear score it's obvious he was dpsing whelps. He'd never be able to hold that dps with his gear without aoe.

Furthermore 12k isn't out of the question for a dk on this fight. there's tons of WMOs of dk's hitting 14-15k over the span of the fight.

There's DKs hitting nearly 14k for hard mode anub so i fail to see your point.

That's all fine and dandy, but you fail to see the point. I wasn't bragging, I was making the point that the hybrid tax is too great for non-pure DPS classes.

Then the epeen contest started. My statement still stands, and no one has proven me otherwise. Sure DK's can hit 12-20k on Ony, but what is there gear score, and obviously they didn't do anything else BUT AoE the whelps. (I did nearly double the damage to Ony to the guy who pulled 20k DPS during whelps)

That aside, looking through the WoL of the DK that pulled 20k DPS in Ony 25, was beaten out by Mages, Hunters and Rouges in every other fight besides Anub.

So, if you want to make the statement that there is no hybrid tax, feel free to bring some proof next time.

That's all fine and dandy, but you fail to see the point. I wasn't bragging, I was making the point that the hybrid tax is too great for non-pure DPS classes.

Then the epeen contest started. My statement still stands, and no one has proven me otherwise. Sure DK's can hit 12-20k on Ony, but what is there gear score, and obviously they didn't do anything else BUT AoE the whelps. (I did nearly double the damage to Ony to the guy who pulled 20k DPS during whelps)

That aside, looking through the WoL of the DK that pulled 20k DPS in Ony 25, was beaten out by Mages, Hunters and Rouges in every other fight besides Anub.

So, if you want to make the statement that there is no hybrid tax, feel free to bring some proof next time.

NOT THE HYBRID TAX

OH NOES

You also say this like you can just leave the whelps go. AoE is a part of WoW. It's obvious that you padded your dps with Aoe which you are required to do.

See all the DK/Warrior/Ferals on this list.

http://www.wowmeteronline.com/rank/clazz/dps/all/7/0/3/320

Mages are good right now that's a fact. Other classes compared to hybrids there really isn't a hybrid tax. Go ask warlocks and rogues.

Last edited:
You fools don't even know how to list proper DPS. Which is pretty funny. Anyone can AOE. Any mage with a "point" to prove could AP + Icy Veins + Flamestrike to Blizz and out do most other classes AOE for the duration anyway.

The only DPS that means anything is SINGLE TARGET, SUSTAINED, NON GIMMICK FIGHTS.

I could post screens of 10k single target vs Hodir, but it's a gimmick fight.
10k+ Jaraxxus, but it's a gimmick fight (for mages that is).
~7k on single target heroic bosses in 213 gear and under at the time, gimmick since the duration lasted about as long as cooldowns.
7.5k on 3D OS zerg, etc.

But none of that matters. What matters is sustained single target dps. DPS that lasts beyond the duration of cooldowns, that don't have dmg modifier gimmicks or AOE cheese.

At around 2550 GS on my rogue I can do around 8k on the onny fight if I'm put on the big adds. Probably 10-12k if Im allowed to AOE whelps every time they come up.

Single target DPS is down around 5.5k though. DKs, Pallies, Druids, Warriors etc... usually don't keep up with me. It is more a matter of sucking as a player not as a class though. My wifes fury warrior with only 2050GS can pull around 3300 single target DPS Just by spamming a macro I made.... Yet I keep seeing people doing sub 2.5k....

As for which plate class, I would say pala or druid. I know druid isn't in plate but they may as well be. Those two classes have the most possibilities. Druid has the absolute most though. Melee dps, Caster dps, Tank, Indestructable Healer (literally, they can have thorns up and a rogue will die from it before we can DPS them down)

You fools don't even know how to list proper DPS. Which is pretty funny. Anyone can AOE. Any mage with a "point" to prove could AP + Icy Veins + Flamestrike to Blizz and out do most other classes AOE for the duration anyway.

The only DPS that means anything is SINGLE TARGET, SUSTAINED, NON GIMMICK FIGHTS.

I could post screens of 10k single target vs Hodir, but it's a gimmick fight.
10k+ Jaraxxus, but it's a gimmick fight (for mages that is).
~7k on single target heroic bosses in 213 gear and under at the time, gimmick since the duration lasted about as long as cooldowns.
7.5k on 3D OS zerg, etc.

But none of that matters. What matters is sustained single target dps. DPS that lasts beyond the duration of cooldowns, that don't have dmg modifier gimmicks or AOE cheese.

exactly, all that other BS is just so they can inflate the size of their epeen

At around 2550 GS on my rogue I can do around 8k on the onny fight if I'm put on the big adds. Probably 10-12k if Im allowed to AOE whelps every time they come up.

Single target DPS is down around 5.5k though. DKs, Pallies, Druids, Warriors etc... usually don't keep up with me. It is more a matter of sucking as a player not as a class though. My wifes fury warrior with only 2050GS can pull around 3300 single target DPS Just by spamming a macro I made.... Yet I keep seeing people doing sub 2.5k....

As for which plate class, I would say pala or druid. I know druid isn't in plate but they may as well be. Those two classes have the most possibilities. Druid has the absolute most though. Melee dps, Caster dps, Tank, Indestructable Healer (literally, they can have thorns up and a rogue will die from it before we can DPS them down)

Agreed!

I have an 80 DK dual specced with unholy and frost, and an 80 warrior dual specced prot and fury. I preffer playing the warrior and preffer DPS as fury (mostly because i spent the majority of my wow life main tanking raids and got tired of it)

im liking my DK the more i play it, i can do 3.5k DPS and im still in some blues but mostly epics, my gear varies from level 200 - 226 and im a JCer so i can make my self some nice gems to as i get better gear.

Currently playing a Frost specced dual wield DK, really enjoying it. I havent bothered looking at my warrior since WotLK came out. He is still 70.... (also lol about people bragging about AoE dps... Single target is where its at...)

I have an 80 DK dual specced with unholy and frost, and an 80 warrior dual specced prot and fury. I preffer playing the warrior and preffer DPS as fury (mostly because i spent the majority of my wow life main tanking raids and got tired of it)

I also play the three main Plate classes. I have 2 Blood Elf's, one is a Level 80 blood-DK dps...and one is Level 72 Ret Paladin dps...The DK is much easier to play but is getting boring, and the Paladin I plan to make a Tank once 80. Just the hate mana whore part of the Paladin.

My favorite class right now is my Night Elf Warrior, Level 61, and 100% Fury with the Titan's Grip talent, and I am dual wielding 2Hand swords the Blood of Misfortune's 68dps each. This Warrior full Fury tree is a bad ass DSP'er, and very fast killer, and can handle mobs pretty well too, just need to learn to manage the Rage better, that can be difficult for me it seems

Back