WoW open beta still vaporware

bonkrowave

2[H]4U
Well this is the third week since blizzard announced the open beta ... and to look for more information in days
Just about every company out there is horrible with release dates .... but common if you are going to make an announcement about an open beta .... it would be best to get your facts straight before hand. I really hope this doesn;t go the way SWG did

... before you flammers jump on me

I was in the stress test
I like the game very much
They have be addicted to the game like crack .... of course im gonna get cranky when they cut my supply then tease me more then a highschool cheerleader on prom night.

Blizzard vs. SOE.

Blizzard: "Its not ready yet, but we promised it to them on such and such a date. We're going to just delay it a bit until we get it working properly, we don't want to release a broken game after all."

SOE : "Its not ready yet, but we promised it to them on such and such a date. We're going to release it now, in its unfinished and broken state, and just fix it later with a patch. We'll pretend like they were unforseen bugs or something, but we know full well the game isn't ready. Just release it, we want our money."

See the difference?

Their servers probably aren't up to snuff just yet, and they are working on getting them ready. Its a LOT of work preparing for an open beta, because its not a "free glimpse at the game" to them. Its a test of how well their servers can handle 100,000 people logging on at once. If the servers can't handle it, theres lag and problems and all kinds of ugly nasty stuff.

I don't mind at all waiting for Blizzard, because in the past they have always made great games.

I have been reading the fourm for the beta test ... and it looks like more problems are being caused rather then fixed ... from low fps in places like ashenvale to ogrimmir talents missing, miss rate increase, abilities added . removed

I know at the end of the stress test the game already owned SWG

oh and the beta is just a free test of the game .... the stress test was to test bandwidth / servers / etc .... i was part of the stress test

Giive me 20 minutes, and I'll write a game thats more exciting then SWG. Its called pong. Its amazing. :rolleyes: :eek:

ya SWG blows i want my money back .... what a waste .....

george lucas you make me sic by signing off on that MMORPG...

bonkrowave said:
ya SWG blows i want my money back .... what a waste .....

george lucas you make me sic by signing off on that MMORPG...
I think George Lucas has been on auto pilot for quite some time.

Blizzard is still one game compnay that has a marvelous reputation. I can rest assured knowing that they will make this game quality, and have everything ready unlike Planetside Direwolf mentioned :)

Direwolf20 said:
Mid November last I heard.
That is pretty much the last thing I remember. Although, from what is being said around here, the open beta still hasen't happened. I just hope that we get it before Christmas. That way I can get a good jump on it before going back to University; where I will more than likely fail my courses due to utter addiction :D

Usually open beta happens just before a release, to stress test the servers and determine if they can handle the load. So with open beta coming really soon, I would expect the release to be just around the corner.

The beta test is not for stressing WoW servers .... thats what the stress test was for .... the closed beta was supposed to be for balancing and bug hunting .... and the open beta was to get prospective customers hooked

So all this talk about stressing the servers is false. They have already done that ... I was part of the stress test !

you just have to know the blizz venacular... "a few days" means check back in a month

oh it'll be released in nov 2002... actually means oh we'll be pushing for late Q2 2003

well they have a pretty firm NOV release date..... And blizzard is not in charge of when this thing gets released ... vivendi is ....

Now i only wonder if vivendi will sue if WoW isn't released on time .... kinda like how they are sueing becaused valve wants to released HL2 via steam.

Vivendi .... only cares about the bottom line ... its very clear .... from Wow to HL2. They dont care about one single customer or what a poor WoW release would mean.

Lets not forget that HL2 is delayed so much because Gabe keeps going over-budget with his breakfast / brunch / lunch / lunner (lunch and dinner???)/ dinner / and numerous other meals a day.

Well some more bad news .... I am constantly reading the WoW fourms ... and in one post the open beta was to start after the next patch.... well sad news ppl ... here it is ..

There will be no patch this week. As always, the dev team is working hard on releasing the next patch. However, at this time we do not have a release date and will not announce one until we have more information.

Tyren

So it looks like wont even start to maybe ... sometime mid week, next week

Open beta will start when it starts. They'll let everyone play when they feel it's ready, and until then you'll just have to wait.

Is the game coming out nov. 15th still? or 2005 now?

Nobody really knows, there's no official announcement from blizzard/vivendi. I would think they would like to compete with the initial sales of EQ2 by releasing WoW in proximitity, but blizzard is one of the few companies with a track record for releasing products when they are finished, so you'll get it when they're done...

As I posted above, Blue's News had a story yesterday claiming November 22 is the official release.

http://www.freep.com/entertainment/videogames/gbits24e_20041024.htm

That link shows a quote from Phil O'Neil, president, North America, of Vivendi Universal Games.

Copy/pasted from the linked article:

One of the most anticipated PC games of the year now has a launch date.

"World of Warcraft," the online world game from the makers of the incredibly popular "Warcraft" strategy game series, is scheduled to launch the week of Nov. 22, the Free Press has learned.

Most stores have predicted Nov. 15 would be the launch date for "World of Warcraft," guessing that Sony Online Entertainment's behemoth "Everquest 2" would come out on or near the same day. But Phil O'Neil, president, North America, of "Warcraft" publisher Vivendi Universal Games, said the game will actually launch a week after the company's other hot holiday title, "Half-Life 2," which debuts Nov. 16.

bonkrowave said:
Well some more bad news .... I am constantly reading the WoW fourms ... and in one post the open beta was to start after the next patch.... well sad news ppl ... here it is ..

So it looks like wont even start to maybe ... sometime mid week, next week

Get a job or hobby or somethin. I'm lookin foward to this as much as the next person, but you define obsessed. BTW, a game isn't vaporware when you've just recently played it. I think you're confused on the definition of vaporware.

the@ntipop said:
Get a job or hobby or somethin. I'm lookin foward to this as much as the next person, but you define obsessed. BTW, a game isn't vaporware when you've just recently played it. I think you're confused on the definition of vaporware.
he's from canada, give him a few seconds...

QHalo said:
he's from canada, give him a few seconds...

Antoher shot at Canada ... hmmm ....

To the post above that one .... If you read the whole thread you would realize that Yes I have played the game, I like the game ... I am not the only one who is thinking the same way. If you read any of the WoW fourms even the people in the closed beta feel the same way. Blizzard is releaseing less and less information as time goes on and they will be hard pressed to meet the release date vivendi has set. I would also like to know how one determines I have no job or hobbies just by reading a post on an internet fourm. The fact is I have a job, and many hobbies. The key is not to take everything so seriously. I would think it quite obvious I am not addicted to WoW like an addicted is addicted to crack, as is posted in a previous post. If someone is excited about a game and others are disgussing it why come in and flame them ?

I dont flame you because you are into metroid 2 echos, or doom 3 .... so why do u feel the need to flame me here.

No one is forcing you to read this thread ... so why personaly attack the person who started the thread ? This is not the first time you have flammed me either ... personally vendettas are really counter - productive

Lastly I dont define the game as vapourware .. I defined the open beta as vapourware, which it may very well be since the deadline is looming. I am not confused about the definition of vapourware it looks like you are confused about what I am refering to.

Sorry Qhalo ... but the post by @ntipop really pissed me off

P.S. your right about rushing ;)

Well heres some new information from IGN

Dated Oct 25. 2004

What's next? Well, there's that open beta I mentioned earlier, which we're supposed to be seeing within days. The devs expect it last two to three weeks, and many more servers will be available to support the (presumably) huge numbers of people who will be flocking to this one like crazy. An open beta player won't have access to all the content, however--only one or two raids, but there will be PvP as well as "care bear" servers. Hunter and Paladin talents will be in by the time the open beta launches, so you can use that as a marker for the open beta date

well this seems to be counter to what blizzard has been saying about opeb beta starting after the patch which will occur mid next week. BUt hey we all know what days meant last time :p

I'm sorry you took my comments to personally. I was just drawing inferences from the two posts you've made about the subject in 3 days. Also when you say things like
I am constantly reading the WoW fourms
and follow this up with a post every few hours one can't help but draw this conclusion. I thought I could try to help you not get so worked up over something you can't control. However, I did do it in a crude way.

The one thing I can bring to the topic that I think will most apply is that you can never, ever, ever, ever, ever, take anyone's word when it comes to a game/ open beta/ closed beta/ demo/ screenshot's release date. There are way too many factors involved for even a developer to know these things. Add in the fact that everyone on the internet likes to pass along rumors and that adds a bit of discredit to every source out there. When it comes to MMORPGs and the setbacks WoW has had in the last few months, the best you can do is hope that the game will be playable when it is released at retail.

Okay thas cool

I do agree WoW is the most polished MMORPG I have ever played (when i look at my SWG cds i cringe with fright)... I played in stress test. I have just been reading the fourms and people make it seem like it has become both better and worse since that time.

About release dates .... yeah you are absolutely correct. The thing that gets me is vivendi is trying to push this out the door so its released after HL2 and before or around EQ2s launch. Vivendi is already sueing valve over rights to release HL2 via steam.... I just dont want Blizzard to sucumb to Vivendi and push out a product they do not think is ready. Because every single game Blizzard has made has been polished.

And I post so much because at work I get bored and stressed sometimes so I post to relieve some stress then go back to work. Its good to take a step back and get something off your mind and look at it from a different angle.

So I guess I should take a step back before posting anything and not bring the stress of the job into the fourms.

Well it looks like the closed beta for WoW is ending today. Hopefully this means the open beta is starting real soon:)

/clears calender for next month

Back